Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Connection problems

This is a discussion on Connection problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers You should still probably be getting around 5Mb I think your line may drop the sync ...

Danfalc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: d.falconer7@hotmail.co.uk
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection problems

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      You should still probably be getting around 5Mb

I think your line may drop the sync again so that it can raise the SNR to 7db

It looks like your line is still on ADSL2+

Your line will probably preform better on G.DMT.

When you say that its almost identical what do you mean?

It was only the noise margin that i was hoping would increase.
      I think when I spoke to someone at BT, they said the max I could get is 4Mb. The wiring is really old/poor in my area.

ADSL+ and G.DMT mean nothing to me, hehe. Is this something I could change myself or would Sky have to do it?

Anyway I have just done another test using the test socket. Looks like my speed has dropped again? When I said they were identical before, I meant the speeds but must admit I didn't really look at the results of noise margin as It's not something I understand.

Connection Speed 1601 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 27.3 db
      Noise Margin 8.1 db 14.0 db

Btw I was offered no explanation to why my speed had decreased so dramatically, but to me it looked like it had reverted back to almost dial up speeds, seeing as it would always only have a connection speed of 384 kb/s. Sadly this is far from the first time I have had problems. A few months ago my connection just seemed to die. I thought it may of been my router, or network card and even bought new ones after having no luck on the phone with them.

To cut a long story short it eventually emerged that someone had switched off my connection at the exchange, and again they couldn't offer any sort of explanation.

Makes me really consider switching to fibre optic with BT, but in my past experience they have been no better.

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Sky would have to change it from ADSL2+ to G.DMT

Sounds like BT screwed something up in the exchange if it was turned of there.

If those are your current test socket stats then it looks like you might have an issue with the outside line.

Would it be possible to try another microfilter in the test socket.

Basically the noise margin is the signal to noise ratio given as a margin in decibels. Sky target a 7db SNR
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Is it something they can just do though? Or is it something I would have to try and pressure them to do? I guess if I keep having problems then I could try and ask them to switch me over onto G.DMT.

Not possible right now to try another filter as I don't have another, I will try and get a spare from up town tomorrow, something handy to have spare anyway.

And thank you for trying to explain but I still don't really understand! I can build a pc but I am hopeless when it comes to software,networking, internect connections ect ect

I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer the questions and walk me through things. It's been insightful as I have learnt a few things too.

Thanks

Ok Stats using a new filter and the test socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 581 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.0 db 27.8 db
      Noise Margin 5.5 db 8.5 db

Since my line was "fixed" It has kept on loosing connection, it will stay up for about an hour, then go down for an hour. Also I had a connection speed of about 2000 kbps earlier which lasted for ten minutes, but as you can see above, it's dropped again.

I have requested my Mac code as I'm sick of being asked if my modem is plugged in then being put on hold for a while. Will try ringing on later tonight like the lady I spoke to suggested, but had about enough, I'm really not qualified to try and sort this, and I'm not getting anywhere with them.

Update, while the router has been trying to connect and failing, I have noticed that the modem status is frequently saying PPP server down, does that mean there may be a problem with the router? And is it worth trying a none sky one or asking for a replacement?. I'm also wondering if it's worth doing a re-format of my entire pc as I did get hit by a virus a while back, maybe that messed something up, I did have to reinstall my Ethernet drivers.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I'm sorry that things have gone this way for you.

Sadly any ISP can get a poor connection at times and there is not excuse for people having to run through the script from the beginning each and every time when you call them.

Questions like 'Have you plugged your router in' are some easy to answer for themselves by looking at their own screens. I know that they can see your connection speed, mine has been read to me whilst I was also looking at my router.

It sounds as if your telephone line has developed a fault. I tried to read through all the posts in this thread, but I didn't notice (sorry if i missed it) if anyone has actually asked you if:

a. when you are using the test socket, are all your extensions dead?

b. using a corded telephone plugged into the test socket, could you dial '1' and listen for any noise on the line (it should be completely clear)

What you and I can't see is if there are any errors on the line, such as CRC errors. Only the first Sky router allowed customers to see this. The people at Sky can see this information and it does indicate whether there are any issues.

I realise that you have asked for your MAC code. There is no harm if you should continue to chase this and ask to be put through to someone is the next level of support (i.e. CST).

I wish you the best in how you proceed. Please be aware though, if the issue is with the line between your home and the telephone exchange which has developed, your next ISP is likely to have the same problems.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danfalc View Post
      Update, while the router has been trying to connect and failing, I have noticed that the modem status is frequently saying PPP server down, does that mean there may be a problem with the router? And is it worth trying a none sky one or asking for a replacement?. I'm also wondering if it's worth doing a re-format of my entire pc as I did get hit by a virus a while back, maybe that messed something up, I did have to reinstall my Ethernet drivers.
      The fact that you PC has been infected is not necessarily directly relevant to the router. Viruses tend to be written specifically for computers, normally Windows based PCs. If you know which virus hit you, look it up on a virus company's website.

In the unlikely event that someone has hacked into your router, then you may have other issues which need looking into urgently.

Personally I would suggest that you try borrowing another PC or Laptop first. Next would be to do a simple install of windows on a spare Hard Drive.

Whatever you do though, ensure that everything is backed up BEFORE you do anything to your PC. External drives are getting cheaper all the time and imaging software is very useful.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I doubt very much if a virus on your PC would effect your router. While you had it, it might have slowed your throughput, but that has nothing to do with syncing, which seems to be your problem.

I know you said you tried the Test socket, but can you try it again. This time work the plug of the filter in and out a few times to be sure it is making good contact when you finally push it in. Post your results.

If the results are the same, that points to a fault on the external line or a faulty router. There is not much you can do about the former, except talk Sky into sending a broadband engineer. For the latter, you can try another router if you have one, or ask Sky if they can send you a replacement.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for answering some of my concerns, they might sound a little silly, but I want to make sure it isn't a fault at my end before I place the blame on my isp.

Weirdly enough I was about the ring SKY again after having hours of it not connecting and as soon as I rang sky, the light finally went from orange to green and my connection came back up.

Anyway

a) I'm not really sure what you mean by extensions being dead? But if you mean like my phone line, then no it's still working? My adsl and phone are the only thing connected.

b) When I plugged the phone into the test socket, the line was perfectly clear. Which is weird because I have been having heavy static on my phone, but I thought that was due to damage caused to my telephone by the cat..but weird how it's crystal clear when used in the test socket.

Isitme, these are the results from the test socket.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1664 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 27.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 16.0 db

Thank you by the way for the quick answers and all the advice! I hope these results maybe help, I feel bad taking up so much of your time with all these questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danfalc View Post
      b) When I plugged the phone into the test socket, the line was perfectly clear. Which is weird because I have been having heavy static on my phone, but I thought that was due to damage caused to my telephone by the cat..but weird how it's crystal clear when used in the test socket.
      This indicates that you definitely have an issue with the telephone wiring within your home. You could go through a process to identify the cause yourself or you can get someone in privately to address the issue.

You are responsible for the telephone wiring within your home after the test socket. This will include any internal extensions.

The people whom you pay the line rental to are responsible for the quality of the line between the test socket and the telephone exchange.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Weirdly enough I was about the ring SKY again after having hours of it not connecting and as soon as I rang sky, the light finally went from orange to green and my connection came back up.
      This may actually point to a high resistance fault on your line. Can you try this, bring up the router stats and watch the noise margin. Now make a phone call, calling your own number would do, does the noise margin rise? If it does, you have a high resistance fault, which should be found and fixed by any competent phone engineer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast