Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

needing to change IP address

This is a discussion on needing to change IP address within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You can't hide your IP on ebay, they do not like it and if you were in shown as in ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: needing to change IP address

You can't hide your IP on ebay, they do not like it and if you were in shown as in another country you would also be causing problems.
      I don't think your IP matters so much, I have just signed in using Hotspot, with an address in California and was able to access my account, do a survey and pay a bill with Paypal. The only thing I noticed was it took a bit longer to sign in than usual, as it opened Ebay.US and trnsferred to eBay UK. This makes me think that it is looking at the cookies on your PC and not the IP address. It also listed items I have recently viewed before changing my address.

If the IP address was that important having a dynamic one would make things worse as you could then be held liable for times when you were not using the address. ie. If you rebooted and got an address that had been used by someone who was banned, what would happen? Would you also be considered banned?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      itusedtodoit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Oh ebay have changed OK, just look at the stuff selling on there now, as apposed to a few years ago.

They are switching to new goods and big companies and the small business seller and private sellers are just not important anymore.

To give you an idea of the change, Donahoe, the man that took over, in his first interview he said he felt ashamed of being linked to a giant garage sale and his view of ebay was more inline with a site like Costco, which sells white goods and things like that.
      Every change they have made has been going toward that. So yes they have changed small sellers are just not important enough to waist time on, when you are getting the big money off the big companies.

Isitme

What I think is happening is that they are recording IPs but the information is only used when an alert has arose.

So I agree the use of IPs for them can't be much of an issue, but then on the other hand I still wonder if not thinking about it is going to come back and bite me and where ebay are concerned you just have no idea what is coming next.

Thanks

I agree, when I started using eBay years ago almost all the sellers were individuals, very few companies had any involvement. Now it is completely opposite, even big stores like Argos, Ebuyer etc are selling on eBay.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Largeit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

[QUOTE=Scubbie;331677] Anyone changing their IP address frequently in order to hide from the authorities deserves to get caught and will.

If you are attempting to hide your IP address from torrent sites, then to be fair it isn't worth it. ACS Law failed miserably in the courts. If you are unsure about the situation, then rent a seed-box.

Sorry, I just do not get why someone actually needs to frequently change their IP address.

Who cares what you think! This is a forum for questions and answers not for your need to know everything as to why they want to do something. I bet your one of those curtain twitching neighbours. If someone wants to change their IP address help them to do so or shut up. Keep your answers to the point or don't bother posting.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Largeit View Post
      Who cares what you think! This is a forum for questions and answers not for your need to know everything as to why they want to do something. I bet your one of those curtain twitching neighbours. If someone wants to change their IP address help them to do so or shut up. Keep your answers to the point or don't bother posting.
      Actually since making that post I've joined the Moderator team, so I guess since you are posting from the USA and I am posting on a UK forum in the UK others do wish to read what I post.

As for my 'curtain twitching' habits, how did you know?

P.S. This thread is several months old, keep with the times.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

skyohsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

incase you havn't figured it out yet

did you wonder why sky adds constantly show in facebook even if you hide them?....its why they fixed the IP addresses so you can be tracked across all sites by IP address(too easy to delete cookies)

sky marketing thinks this is great

skyohsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

ps its an occasional thing but useful to change IP sometimes

does this contravene privacy laws? noone really cares now (murdoch promises jobs and money to the people who used to protect us)

anywhere displaying a sky add knows its you on that site....

Thanks

.its why they fixed the IP addresses so you can be tracked across all sites by IP address(too easy to delete cookies)
      If that were the case wouldn't it be easier for Sky to give out fixed IPs instead of dynamic as they do. Sky are not the only one who can track you on the web, many can and do, Google being a good example.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345