Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

needing to change IP address

This is a discussion on needing to change IP address within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by moleman Why do you suggest this? Their IP 's are as sticky as hell! The only way ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: needing to change IP address

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
      Why do you suggest this?

Their IP's are as sticky as hell! The only way to get a different one is to change the MAC address in the router.
      That was exactly my point. It is a guaranteed way of getting a new ip address. Change any integer on the mac address and wait for the router to re-sync.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Is it worth pointing out that some ISPs actually allow multiple IP addresses on their business packages?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

itusedtodoit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It has nothing to do with bidding on other accounts, it is just ebay is such an insecure place to use at the moment.

My son normally sells a few of his old clothes, my wife normally buys more than she sells but does sell one or two bits and bobs.

But anything can have a person kicked on there, you do not have to do anything wrong.

Just say my son decided to get rid of his comic collection that is massive, then the increased sales would be enough to have his account closed. any accounts linked to his account in anyway would also be closed and so far none of the accounts have done anything wrong.

The drop is only a short term thing and, as I don't use it for downloading, it does not really matter. had to go through the same thing with BT, as I have done this for a few years. Once ebay started changing.

never worried about loosing internet, as I have a stick or two as back up just in case, and those packages tend to cost you a fortune in the long run as they are designed for people with offices, rather than someone running a home business. It is a bit like the postal system great if you are big business but hopeless if you're too small for them to care.

Sorry I take wikapedia with a pinch of salt, I think most of it has come from the organization that set themselves up trying to promote IPv6.

The reality is it is going to cost the providers a lot of money to make the change and the system will not need replacing for the next ten years plus.

It has been around for a while and none of the providers have touched it, as it is going to cost them money at a time when low cost internet seems to be the thing that is wanted. That was before the world economy took a nose dive.

Even if you look at that link and look at who has changed so far in the UK, and we have people from sky on here so maybe they can give a date of when they will be starting their tests for the change over, or even starting the costing on the change over?

I bet they have not even fixed a date yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itusedtodoit View Post
      Just say my son decided to get rid of his comic collection that is massive, then the increased sales would be enough to have his account closed. any accounts linked to his account in anyway would also be closed and so far none of the accounts have done anything wrong.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I apologise for any insinuation that was taken by me suggesting that you may be trying to bid on the same product to inflate the price, that was not my intent. I was illustrating what I felt might have been behind eBay's issues.

What you have shown though is that there are a lot more issues behind eBay and there 'security' process than meets the eye.

I appreciate that 3G dongles are not cheap. The suggestion was to use them just for eBay to avoid your IPs becoming linked.

Since eBay is becoming more paranoid over these things, trying to find legitimate methods to deal with the IP address link is going to be important to more people.

Your profile is blank, so I can't check to see if Fibre is or will soon be available in your area. Why did I want to do this?

I used to be with Eclipse and often take a look at their site to see what they are doing with their Fibre product range. Currently they offer multiple static IPs for their FTTC customers and perhaps this is something that might be useful for you.

As for the accuracy of Wikipedia, it is well known that there are many errors on their pages. Some individuals love to go in and post rumours as facts or repeat common mistakes. However it does give a good indication as to what is happening in the UK, which can easily be checked by visiting the relevant sites.

Whilst people from Sky do visit this forum. The technical people don't seem to be posting so information on IPv6 in thin on the ground.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

You don't know the half of it where ebay are concerned, it is like walking on eggshells, but until ebid grow big enough to take over unique goods then it is all people have.

And for the person with his silly faces it is down to the fact that their system is now set up for business sellers, and if my son tried to sell his comic collection they would be asking him to supply supplier information due the increase in sales, which he could not supply, as we bought them for him when he was twelve and he is now twenty.

I think the reason they are sketchy on IPv6 is due to the fact every time you turn a page online or in a paper, or even on TV there is another cheap internet deal, as they have probably realized with their research people want cheap. Probably why BT are loosing so many customers

But to switch would cost money that the users are just not willing to pay for.

I have the same problem at the moment I do not want to pay for two lots of internet unless I really have to, especially if I do not have to and there are other alternatives

I noticed on another part of the forum someone mentioned Netgear routers have still not changed and I can then get the password to use my own, which will continue to use PPPoA. Is that still the case?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Hotspot Shield will conceal your real IP, so should serve the purpose you want. The only problem may be that your address is shown as located in the USA, which may pose problems with eBay. The only way to find out would be to try it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itusedtodoit View Post
      And for the person with his silly faces it is down to the fact that their system is now set up for business sellers, and if my son tried to sell his comic collection they would be asking him to supply supplier information due the increase in sales, which he could not supply, as we bought them for him when he was twelve and he is now twenty.
      If you are selling your personal belongings on eBay you are regarded as a private seller. I can't see there being any problems with getting rid of your son's comic book collection no matter how large it is unless you got him the same title multiple times.

With regards to account conflicts it is true that if one of your accounts end up being in trouble ebay will close all accounts generating from your ip address but there is a very simple identification procedure which will get the other accounts back up and running again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Isitme

You can't hide your IP on ebay, they do not like it and if you were in shown as in another country you would also be causing problems.

Exdee

I was one of those people that would try and help people solve their problems on another forum, but about a few years ago they changed and all the rule books went out the window, along with common sense.

So if my son decided to sell his comic book collection, and I know your mindset is set about on par with ebays, so this should be easy for you.

I have seen this happen to others, where they were selling their own stuff single items on their personal account, which is not causing any problems, people are all getting what they pay for. Then suddenly some of their items came into fashion or something and the prices they got for them jumped, obviously taking them over what ever level ebay has set and they are asked to send supplier information or reciepts.

Now how do you supply information on the stuff you own. You think about it comic books, like most things, are collected over many years from all over the place, and comic books were just an example, as it could be his dance record collection, or any of his old toys that are now stuck in the loft.

As I say ebay has the same mindset as you seem to have, where everyone is guilty until proven innocent and they request supplier information or receipts for a list of items that you have on and have sold.

Now you look round your room the next time you are in it and see what you have receipts for.

And if your account is linked to another account proving it otherwise is almost impossible, as they have the same mentality of guilty until proven innocent, with a customer service that has to run to a script so can't really help with anything that is not on that script. So if you want your account back you have to go through a backdoor and badger a person until you get them to listen.
      This can take six months or more, could you live without your wages for six month.

So I will try switch and see what happens.

Thanks

I

Thanks

I was talking based on my experience.

About two years ago while I was in a student accomodation with plenty of other people sharing one broadband connection we all had our ebay accounts suspended. The reason was that a claim had been made because one of us was selling chinese copies of the Ipod and the Tomtom navigator. We didn't even ring ebay. Got in touch using the chat option and they asked us to send them proof of ID. We faxed them one of our utility bills and they reactivated us within a few hours.

Similiary I remember talking to my aunt about a year ago at a get-together who was upset because ebay had suspended all her current auctions and asked her to provide a business address on her listings. She used to be a radio DJ in her prime time and had a vast collection of CDs that she wanted to get rid of. I asked her to send ebay an email stating the exact number of CDs in her personal collection. Tell them how many she had already sold and how many were left. It was a very simple concept proving that these cds were indeed from a personal collection and not being bought to be sold. As expected the next time I saw her, her ebay account was up and running.

Now I don't know by what degree these procedures have changed at ebay. Maybe people have been abusing them a lot and ebay has much more firm policies now but still...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast