Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

needing to change IP address

This is a discussion on needing to change IP address within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you are seriously worried about hiding your IP address, have you considered subscribing to a Proxy Server? It is ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: needing to change IP address

If you are seriously worried about hiding your IP address, have you considered subscribing to a Proxy Server?

It is quite easy to divert specific or even all your computer's Internet traffic via a proxy server.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      itusedtodoit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you are seriously worried about hiding your IP address, have you considered subscribing to a Proxy Server?

It is quite easy to divert specific or even all your computer's Internet traffic via a proxy server.

It is not so much hiding my IP it is just being able to change it from one user to the next and most proxies are registered to the hilt so if you use them, then they cause more problems than they are worth.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is not so much hiding my IP it is just being able to change it from one user to the next
      In my crystal ball I can see student accommodation somewhere and through the mists I see some rascals downloading illegal material while another stands in the shadows knowing that if they are caught, he will be blamed equally.
      What he should do is use Hotspot shield on his PC. He will not then be associated with those who are doing wrong
      Hotspot Shield

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

We should have accelerated our uptake of IPv6 years ago, not relied on NAT.
      Current Sync 79999/19999

Thanks

Having been a moderator elsewhere, I can say that frequent changes of an IP address are as suspicious as having the same IP address. For anyone posting on a forum somewhere, just to wind people up, then I know they will be caught out and permanently banned. In the mean time they just upset the other members.

Anyone changing their IP address frequently in order to hide from the authorities deserves to get caught and will.

If you are attempting to hide your IP address from torrent sites, then to be fair it isn't worth it. ACS Law failed miserably in the courts. If you are unsure about the situation, then rent a seed-box.

Sorry, I just do not get why someone actually needs to frequently change their IP address.

Firewalls are reasonably good these days, but not infallible. If someone is actually worried about their network security, then perhaps they need to rethink about their network structure.

For example: keep your OS up to date, use a good firewall & keep your AV software current, consider which computers need to be connected to the Internet and consider setting up a closed LAN if necessary (i.e. one that does not have a direct link to the Internet).

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nothing to do with any of those it is a simple case that three members of my family buy and sell on ebay. now not sure what you know about that site but it is easy and advisable to keep your account details separate from any other person that is using the site, which includes IP.

Now I have everything else separate and I will be damned I am going to loose my living because some internet provider needs to change the way they do things, when there are so many alternatives.

And by the sounds of it do not hold your breath for IPv6, as by the sounds of it providers were reluctant to take it on before the economy took a dive, due to the costs, so I really can't see them taking it on over the the next few years

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you want the ability to change your ip address as and when you want then o2/be is the isp for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Most of them allow you to change IP easy enough and this one used to up until recently. But I will have to read the bumf but I think I am stuck on contract for twelve month with sky, so it is a case of finding which routers do not have this problem yet and finding out if anyone knows the timescale of these updates, if I am lucky one of the routers will last out the rest of my time on this contract. then I can switch to one of the others.

Thanks

I'm not too familiar with eBay, but I can understand that they would want to discourage people from bidding on the same product under multiple IDs to boost the price artificially.

If it is for occasional bid on the other accounts, then could I suggest that an easier method would be to use a 3G dongle?

Also can I politely point out that Sky specifically frown upon using it's BB network for business usage.

If you are running a business from home, then there are specific packages from other suppliers who will be able to give you a guaranteed level of support. Should you have a disconnection, then you will not get compensation from Sky for loss of earnings.

It might also be a good idea for you to consider installing a 2nd line.

Finally, something that should have been mentioned previously, it you reset your Sky router took often, then this is interpreted by DLM as a line problem. Your connection speed will be reduced as a result.

P.S. Read this for an idea of what is happening with regards to the IPv6 rollout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_de...United_Kingdom

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      If you want the ability to change your ip address as and when you want then o2/be is the isp for you.
      Why do you suggest this?

Their IP's are as sticky as hell! The only way to get a different one is to change the MAC address in the router.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast