Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

needing to change IP address

This is a discussion on needing to change IP address within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The reason you can get a change by switching off the router overnight is probably that many do this as ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: needing to change IP address

The reason you can get a change by switching off the router overnight is probably that many do this as a matter of course. When you swich on in the morning there will be a bigger pool of addresses available. This should mean that if you reboot your router in the early morning you have a better chance of a change than if you rebooted in the evening, when most routers are in use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

It is quite true what you are saying Tom.

I wonder how many people will have 'reboot the Sky router' on their minds first thing in the morning though?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That's what I mean, most who switch off their router will not put it on again until they reurn from their working day, although many will want to check their emails first thing in the morning.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SkyCST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02087
      Broadband ISP: Other
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You can bounce the port in LAMA forcing the router to resync with the exchange.
      Well yes, but that wasnt what we were talking about.
      We were talking about giving the customer a new IP, we have NO means whatsoever to gaurentee a customer gets a new IP.

Thats what i ment, ofc we can drop the port but like other fella said that is exactly the same as rebooting the router.

if you have been banned from a forum live with it or use a proxy to bypass the ban and continue posting or whatever you are doing.
      if you gave us a bit more info depending on why you need your IP changed i may be able to give you a work around for certyain sites that IP ban that doesnt envolve proxys or masking your IP.

itusedtodoit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I also have that problem of the sticky IP and I am just wondering what has changed, as I have only been with sky for five month and up until about two days ago all I had to do to change my IP was press the D-Link router button on and off at the back of the router.
      NO unplugging, NO resetting, just a simple press on and off of a button any time of the day and it would even jump between ranges also but now seems to be stuck on the number 2 range if it changes at all.

And people prefer to change their IPs for a lot of reasons, not just because they were kicked off a forum.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Could this be the 2.04 update problem I have been reading about on here with the change to MER.

I am supposed to be able to take it back to start, or what ever it is called with the disc but is there a way to stop it updating, or do you have to just go out and get a new or older router?

Thanks

Sticky IP addresses have nothing to do with your firmware.

Essentially it has everything to do with the global lack of spare IPv4 addresses available for people to use.

For reference many other people on other ISPs are also experiencing the same problem.

Hopefully when IPv6 is rolled out, this issue will be addressed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sticky IP addresses have nothing to do with your firmware.

Essentially it has everything to do with the global lack of spare IPv4 addresses available for people to use.

For reference many other people on other ISPs are also experiencing the same problem.

Hopefully when IPv6 is rolled out, this issue will be addressed.
      What I have read about IPV6 it is going to make things worse for changing IPs, as every modem linked to the web will have a fixed IP

I took the modem back to start of day and it went back to PPPoA but then instantly updated back to MER

It is just the fact it just started happening only a few days ago and I have talked to people still using BT and those stick things and theirs is still switching the same as this one used to.

It just looks like something had to change to make that happen

Just asked the question on the Sky forum and they are saying it is the change to MER that is causing the problem of the sticky IP.

So anyone know which routers this is happening to and which it is not happening to so I can start looking round for working routers?
      Last edited by itusedtodoit; 18-07-11 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itusedtodoit View Post
      What I have read about IPV6 it is going to make things worse for changing IPs, as every modem linked to the web will have a fixed IP
      For those worried, remember that this will work both ways.

Whilst IPv6 isn't going to be rolled out globally immediately, it could potentially place new adopters at risk from being identified more easily, but in the long term everyone will be converted to IPv6.

Just asked the question on the Sky forum and they are saying it is the change to MER that is causing the problem of the sticky IP.
      This just means that Sky has had to purchase extra IP addresses during this transition period. Initially MER was more sticky than PPPoA, but some have complained that PPPoA also became sticky in some cases.

So anyone know which routers this is happening to and which it is not happening to so I can start looking round for working routers?
      Sky has tailored firmware for all their routers. I would imagine that they are going to attempt to get all their models compatible with MER.

Annoyingly they have not released much information to the public, otherwise members would be more successful in getting their own routers to work with MER.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      For those worried, remember that this will work both ways.

Whilst IPv6 isn't going to be rolled out globally immediately, it could potentially place new adopters at risk from being identified more easily, but in the long term everyone will be converted to IPv6.

This just means that Sky has had to purchase extra IP addresses during this transition period. Initially MER was more sticky than PPPoA, but some have complained that PPPoA also became sticky in some cases.

Sky has tailored firmware for all their routers. I would imagine that they are going to attempt to get all their models compatible with MER.

Annoyingly they have not released much information to the public, otherwise members would be more successful in getting their own routers to work with MER.
      I'm getting the opposite from the people I am talking to, the moment they get the MER update their IP is messed up with that sticky IP, even though it is working perfectly before hand.

At the moment the consensus seems to be to move to an alternative but I would still prefer to find a way round this before I go though that change again.
      Last edited by itusedtodoit; 19-07-11 at 09:50 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast