Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Do I have a D-Link or a Sagem?

This is a discussion on Do I have a D-Link or a Sagem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you are not tweaking the connection you can usually get a half decent N grade router for 20-30....

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Do I have a D-Link or a Sagem?

If you are not tweaking the connection you can usually get a half decent N grade router for 20-30.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers For This Useful Post:

SilverJDM (12-04-11)

3. Advertisement
      SilverJDM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      If you are not tweaking the connection you can usually get a half decent N grade router for 20-30.
      Thanks for the reply, sorry to press you but do you have any suggestions on which ones I should be looking at?

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Ok, perhaps a good way to be constructive with this would be to ask you to respond to the list of things that I posted in post #17.

One important thing that isn't clearly defined is that LAN speed. Would you be happy with a max of 100Mb or 1Gbit for your LAN.

As for the WiFi n - there are a range of speeds available; 150mbps, 270mbps & 300mbps. Which would be the slowest you could cope with?

For the others indicate whether it is important or not and what your price range is.

Perhaps then a short list can be provided for you to consider.

Sadly I can't guarantee the reliability of an individual router. Members may be able to comment on what some routers are like if they have them or read reports elsewhere though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Ok, perhaps a good way to be constructive with this would be to ask you to respond to the list of things that I posted in post #17.

One important thing that isn't clearly defined is that LAN speed. Would you be happy with a max of 100Mb or 1Gbit for your LAN.

As for the WiFi n - there are a range of speeds available; 150mbps, 270mbps & 300mbps. Which would be the slowest you could cope with?

For the others indicate whether it is important or not and what your price range is.

Perhaps then a short list can be provided for you to consider.

Sadly I can't guarantee the reliability of an individual router. Members may be able to comment on what some routers are like if they have them or read reports elsewhere though.
      Thanks for your response, I realise that it is difficult to advise someone (me) without knowing the full facts.

I'm currently using a borrowed Sky router which is connected to a TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch, to which 2 n capable PC's are wired to + my Pioneer TV + Bluray player. Wirelessly, we have 1 Sony laptop + iPod's & phones (at the moment) so don't know what speed we require (150mbps, 270mbps & 300mbps)

Money wise 81 for the Belkin Play N600 is not a problem, 140 -160 for the new Netgear maybe hard to swallow if I'm not going to see any benefit..

I was looking at the following:

Belkin N+ Wireless ADSL Modem Router with Increased Wireless Range & High-speed Internet Connection 300 Mbps (F5D8635uk4A) 34.99

Belkin N Wireless ADSL Modem Router with Simple Security Set Up & High-speed Internet Connection 300 Mbps (F5D8636uk4A) 41.00

I'll go and look at the questions in your previous post & report back

Thanks for your help

Thanks

Re:
      * Price range (not just what you could afford today, but perhaps after a couple of months can save for) 100ish
      * LAN speed -10/100/1000Mb 1000Mb
      * ADSL2+ connection (essential for Sky's current BB product range) Yes
      * alternative connection via cable or FTTC modem available Unsure
      * WiFi n (Dual or Single band) (2.4Ghz only or 5Ghz as well) Unsure
      * WiFi protection level (WPA2-PSK is the current leader, WEP is weak) WPA2-PSK
      * 1 or 2 USB port/s to allow:
      - external drives or USB dongles to share files Unsure
      - shared access to USB printer If possible
      - backup connection through USB 3G dongle Unsure
      * Extra support for DLNA enabled devices to allow you to stream more easily to them from the USB drive/s or USB dongle Yes if possible
      * chip-set (I've forgotten which chip-sets best work with Sky's LLU equipment, but the right one can add a few hundred kbps to your download speed)
      * number of LAN ports (most home routers only have 4 available) At least 4
      * WiFi bridging features Unsure
      * Internal or External WiFi aerials Not bothered
      * Wall mountable option Not required
      * QoS support Unsure
      * Parental controls Not required
      * 'Guest' WiFi LAN Not required

Exchange:
      Thanks

For LLU chipset is Broadcom

For non-SVBN the chipset is Connectant/Glopespan or Connectant/Solois, such as the Billion 7402nx.

QoS support Unsure - this is used for prioritizing network traffic normally used for gaming.

alternative connection via cable or FTTC modem available Unsure - incase your decided to get BT infinity in the future, or when sky bring out a fibre package.

external drives or USB dongles to share files Unsure - would save you having to connect an external hardrive to the PC each time that you want to use it. Also means that it can be accessed easily from any PC.

WiFi n (Dual or Single band) (2.4Ghz only or 5Ghz as well) Unsure - 5Ghz is less likely to be interfered with from neighbouring networks. Dual band means that all N grade devices will be able to connect on N and devices such as phone that are G rated will also be able to connect.

If you set a router to 5Ghz and have G grade wireless they will not notice that the network exists

Scubbie can sort you with a router as i have to head to uni fun fun
      Last edited by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers; 12-04-11 at 01:47 PM.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Certainly with what you have, the Belkin does look like a good choice.

It offers the USB ports to share files, etc., so this could be useful for your LAN. It may also allow you to connect you USB printer, if you don't already have one that is LAN enabled.

From experience, a cabled connection is superior to WiFi for gaming & streaming video content. The WiFi coverage from the Belkin looks to be very nice though.

Since you already have a 1Gbit enabled switch, the Belkin would comfortably fit in with it.

One thing I noticed that was missing from your list was the Sky+ HD STB. This will only connect at 100Mb, but would work just fine. you could then download Anytime+ content.

For reference, most mobile phones are only WiFi g enabled. The iPads are WiFi n enabled, so would benefit from the full 300mbps connection.

The only thing slowing you down now would be the BB connection. Even if you had a full 24Mb connection, it would be slower than your LAN.

P.S. DO make sure that you get the ADSL version, not the Cable version. As for the chipset, this can make a difference of upto 500kbps if you get the better choice, but you'll probably be fine. I can't say for sure as your connection details haven't been posted in this thread.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 12-04-11 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added postscript

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Certainly with what you have, the Belkin does look like a good choice.

It offers the USB ports to share files, etc., so this could be useful for your LAN. It may also allow you to connect you USB printer, if you don't already have one that is LAN enabled.

From experience, a cabled connection is superior to WiFi for gaming & streaming video content. The WiFi coverage from the Belkin looks to be very nice though.

Since you already have a 1Gbit enabled switch, the Belkin would comfortably fit in with it.

One thing I noticed that was missing from your list was the Sky+ HD STB. This will only connect at 100Mb, but would work just fine. you could then download Anytime+ content.

For reference, most mobile phones are only WiFi g enabled. The iPads are WiFi n enabled, so would benefit from the full 300mbps connection.

The only thing slowing you down now would be the BB connection. Even if you had a full 24Mb connection, it would be slower than your LAN.
      Thanks for your help, by Belkin do you nean the N600? Sky+ HD STB was missing because I've not hooked it up for Anytime+ yet as my connection is so bad..

Thanks

Does that help? I know it shows for sure what a poor service I get!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJDM View Post

Does that help? I know it shows for sure what a poor service I get!
      Post your stats and we can see much more.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast