Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky's non LLU unlimited broadband?

This is a discussion on Sky's non LLU unlimited broadband? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you have an XNTE the best thing to do is find the first socket on the chain and convert ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky's non LLU unlimited broadband?

If you have an XNTE the best thing to do is find the first socket on the chain and convert this to an XTF. This is the same as an NTE5e but designed for extensions,-
      XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      craney33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks again for all your help i will definatly look into what you have said.

One quick thing, i am going to remove the ring wire from the grey box outside my door will i need to remove the ring wire on all the extension sockets as well? Just to clarify its the orange wire isn't it?

As for finding the master socket inside the house i understand the general rule of thumb is the 1st socket closet to the grey box which for me would be in my hallway by the front door. Would the master always be downstairs though in a house? I know for a fact the is no phone socket in the room above the grey box outside my door so it must be the one in the hallway

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Removing the ring wire from the extensions would be a good idea.

It's usually orange and connected to pin 3
      Sometimes it's and orange and White wire connected to pins 3 and 4.

The master socket is not always downstairs.

It can usually be identified by either having test socket or a yellow capacitor about the size of a AAA battery.

The master socket is usually only upstairs if you are connected to a telegraph pole.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

It can usually be identified by either having test socket or a yellow capacitor about the size of a AAA battery.
      If he has an XNTE he will not have a master socket within the house. Just to be sure, have a look at this thread - External NTE Is that the type of box you have outside?

The ring wire is usually, but not always orange. It is the one connected to terminal 3, no matter what colour it is. It should only be necessary to remove it from the master socket as that is where it picks up its power, but to be doubly sure you can remove it from all the sockets if you wish.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If he has an XNTE he will not have a master socket within the house. Just to be sure, have a look at this thread - External NTE Is that the type of box you have outside?

The ring wire is usually, but not always orange. It is the one connected to terminal 3, no matter what colour it is. It should only be necessary to remove it from the master socket as that is where it picks up its power, but to be doubly sure you can remove it from all the sockets if you wish.
      Thanks again im so grateful for everyones help here.

Isitme thats the exact box i have outside my front door. I just popped round my new house to check on a few things and i had a look at all the phone extension sockets and they look like this

Google Image Result for http://www.djpricecheck.co.uk/media/images/cache/100x100/rapidonline_com_m074516w01.jpg

The one thing of notice is that the screws holding the plate on are not visable, they seem to be covered over by round plastic covers that i could not get off !

Thanks

You can usually get the plastic covers off with careful use of a sharp knife.They should just flip off.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks again mate, i have just taken my router stats from my current property which is only round the corner from my new one so the line is going to be similar if not worse

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3477 kbps 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation 64.5 db 36.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.00 db 1.5 db

I know my line is only a max of 3mb where i am but what are the reasons for having such a high line attenuation? mu current isp is virgin

thanks again

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney33 View Post
      Thanks again mate, i have just taken my router stats from my current property which is only round the corner from my new one so the line is going to be similar if not worse

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3477 kbps 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation 64.5 db 36.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.00 db 1.5 db

I know my line is only a max of 3mb where i am but what are the reasons for having such a high line attenuation? mu current isp is virgin

thanks again
      Basically line length

The stats above indicate that your line length is around 4.5km

The downstream sync is looking very good for the attenuation.
      The Noise Margin for the upload is extremely low.

Normally with an attenuation of around 63db you max would be around 3

The above line looks as though it is on ADSL2+

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but i though a Virgin line that wasn't fibre was always on G.DMT.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers For This Useful Post:

craney33 (12-04-11)

Thanks

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but i though a Virgin line that wasn't fibre was always on G.DMT.
      They are probably using BT's ADSL2+ service where it is available, many ISPs are.

The OPs line must be very good, with that attenuation I have never seen a sync as high as that with Sky, especially with a noise margin of 10db. BT's ADSL2+ could be working a lot better than Sky's of course.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

^^^^^^Im guessing that means when i move to sky my connection wont be as good

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast