Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed Issues - Anytime+?

This is a discussion on Speed Issues - Anytime+? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks - funny how I only seem to pop up when the speed has taken a nose dive... My ...

jamroom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSIRV
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Speed Issues - Anytime+?

Hi folks - funny how I only seem to pop up when the speed has taken a nose dive...

My speed has been rubbish for ages. I spoke to someone on the level 2 team a while back who said I should dump the 30m extension cable the pc was hard-wired to. I did this when I bought home plugs and now the router is next to the main socket, the laptop connects wirelessly and the pc has a short lead from it's nearest homeplug. The main socket connection is as follows.

router->1m cable->filter->triple adapter->main socket

The main socket is from 1970 and has no test socket, etc, so the triple adaptor is for the broadband, phone, and sky+ box.

I never got around to getting back to the level 2 team, even though my download speed was now roughly half what it should have been. Tonight, I cued up a couple of download files expecting to see them come down at a speed of 120-130k, only to see them at 12k!!! I ran a speed test ->

Thinking again about my suspicion about anytime+, I pulled the phone and the sky+ out of the wall and ran the test again ->

I then re-connected all connections and ran it again ->

Anyone care to confirm that anytime+ is sucking the life out of my bandwidth? I have never seen this mentioned anywhere, but was very suspicious on how these "view anytime" shows were getting on my sky+ box. Sky certainly have never mentioned it in my complaints about speed, or indeed anywhere. Anyone I have asked about anytime+ has been unable to satisfactorily explain to me how it works. Or have I caused a connection blip in the second speed test and it's just a coincidence?

I have been advised to get a new main socket, which I did buy, but realised that I didn't want the responsibility of making a pigs ear of the wiring, as my wife would possibly kill me for that. I guess I should call BT round to fit it?

The sky broadband help chap I just spoke to reckoned it's the filter and is sending me some more. I didn't push getting through to level 2, as I know I need a new main socket and have my anytime+ paranoia.

What do the assembled minds think?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Speed Issues - Anytime+?

Quote Originally Posted by jamroom View Post
      What do the assembled minds think?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

With regards to the wiring of the socket, it might be cheaper to locate a suitably qualified individual locally who can change the master socket for you.

If the box has been in situ since 1971, there is a very good chance that the wiring has become faulty.

In the mean time could you repost your router stats please?

For the record, Anytime+ will only download material that you or you wife has selected. Whilst it is doing this, the Red LED on the front of your STB will illuminate as if you were recording a scheduled programme off the Satellite. You would also see the Green LED associated with the STB on the router flash away whilst this is happening.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 07-04-11 at 09:03 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Router stats, with sky+ still connected (cannot disconnect at the mo', as my wife is taping something).

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 544 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 22.5 db
      Noise Margin 10.6 db 16.0 db

But how do you explain the massive speed change when I disconnect the sky+ box? In fact, if your explanation of the anytime+ progammes is correct, why don't they offer a much wider choice of anytime viewing?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The set-up should be as follows:

master socket > microfilter > splitter into phone port of filter (sky tv and phone into the splitter) / short grey dsl cable that Sky provided into the modem port of the filter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

jamroom (07-04-11)

Thanks

I was afraid that you might have been on Sky BB Connect, but this isn't the case.

Reading through your previous thread, it was suggested that you should rectify your wiring and install the NTE5 socket.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I would be inclined to do this.

I have another question though for you: If you dial '1' from the socket with a corded telephone, do you hear any background noise?

This would confirm that you have a wiring issue that needs to be looked into promptly. If this is the case, then your router is likely to be exhibiting these problems because of the wiring issue.

As for why Sky has not got as much Anytime+ content that you desire, I can only speculate that it will be down to an issue with the licensing of the content.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jamroom (07-04-11)

Thanks

Thanks all, I appreciate the assistance. Will do the main socket and will fit a new filter in the right position.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Router stats, with sky+ still connected (cannot disconnect at the mo', as my wife is taping something).
      The phone line has nothing to do with recording on Sky+, programs come down from the satellite. If you don't have multi room I would advise you to unplug the phone from the STB altogether and just plug it in should you want to order Box Office events.. Even with a filter, these have been known to causes problems, especially if you are using a Sky supplied filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jamroom (09-04-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The phone line has nothing to do with recording on Sky+, programs come down from the satellite. If you don't have multi room I would advise you to unplug the phone from the STB altogether and just plug it in should you want to order Box Office events.. Even with a filter, these have been known to causes problems, especially if you are using a Sky supplied filter.
      Interesting. I didn't know that. We do occasionally order box office movies, but only once in a while.

What else do sky use your phone line for (apart from multiroom and pay-per-view)?

Thanks

There are some Interactive content available on all the Sky STBs. This would cause your STB to dial home.

The content includes the ability to examine your account, play games and contact Sky Customer Services.

Some TV shows also allow you to 'Vote' via your STB, in these instances they also use the telephone line.