Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Message from the Sky Broadband Team

This is a discussion on Message from the Sky Broadband Team within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So Sky say in their "Message From Sky BB Team" and I quote: "For example, we’ve been following reports from ...

Mr Smee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      So Sky say in their "Message From Sky BB Team" and I quote:

"For example, we’ve been following reports from customers about problems accessing particular websites. As a result, we’ve tested access to over 40,000 sites and have worked with other network operators to make any necessary changes to their bogon filters. We believe this has resolved the issue but we’re keeping an eye on the forums for any new reports."

It is patently obvious that this problem isn't resolved and, if Sky really are "keeping an eye" on these forums for new reports, they are not looking in the thread that lists all the IP ranges that are still having problems or are struggling with the root cause of the problem. Another word from them would be nice.

I guess I'm going to have to psych myself up for another one hour wait on hold for tech support followed by another promise for tier 3 to ring me followed by them ringing when I'm out and never ringing again...
      ---
      You got us into this parking lot pal, you can get us out!

2. Advertisement
      davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks for your suggestion, which I have tried with the following results:

I could ping pop.sky.com with both dial-up and broadband and both gave the same IP address (87.86.189.11), but Sky also responded that 82.111.227.3 and 82.111.227.67 (whatever these different IP addresses are) were unreachable on dial-up (not too surprising).

I could also ping pop.onetel.com with both dial-up and broadband and both gave the same IP address (212.67.121.121).

The attempt to ping pop.freeserve.co.uk (193.252.22.135) timed out on both dial-up and broadband (again not surprising).

You said that if both dial-up and broadband respond with the same IP addresses then it must be something odd in your Outlook settings. That would indicate that something is wrong with my Outlook settings for onetel, but they certainly looked correct when I checked them for the umpteenth time.

However, further experimentation has produced an interesting result. If I set up the Sky email details in Outlook for a second time (call it Sky Dummy) and make it the Default email, sunddenly I can receive and send all my other email addresses and only the Sky Dummy fails when trying to receive with the error message:

Task 'Sky Dummy - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F): 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet servcie provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!'.

This shows that nothing is wrong with my Outlook settings and perhaps the problem is a connection issue or related to the fact that I use AVG Free as my virus checker.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
      This shows that nothing is wrong with my Outlook settings and perhaps the problem is a connection issue or related to the fact that I use AVG Free as my virus checker.
      I think you'll find that's an Outlook problem.

To fix it:

• Delete the account in Outlook
      • Close Outlook
      • Restart Outlook
      • Recreate the account

If that doesn't work then repeat the above but between closing and restarting Outlook log into the account with webmail and delete/move anything in your inbox and sent items.

davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks for the suggestion but I seem to have cured the problem by changing the AVG Free Email virus scanning settings to use LAN rather than Dial-up under the Properties tag.

I can now send and receive emails in Outlook and Outlook Express.

It looks like I finally cracked it after 4 weeks of hell.
      Last edited by davids; 10-10-06 at 06:20 PM.

versatile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THWM
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Congratulations. Full marks for persistence!

ailean is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
      Thanks for the suggestion but I seem to have cured the problem by changing the AVG Free Email virus scanning settings to use LAN rather than Dial-up under the Properties tag.

I can now send and receive emails in Outlook and Outlook Express.

It looks like I finally cracked it after 4 weeks of hell.
      Well spotted! I don't think I've used dial-up since switching to AVG so haven't come across this before but I'll be switching my folks to broadband shorty and I put AVG on there laptop so I'm sure this will save me some headaches.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smee View Post
      It is patently obvious that this problem isn't resolved and, if Sky really are "keeping an eye" on these forums for new reports, they are not looking in the thread that lists all the IP ranges that are still having problems or are struggling with the root cause of the problem. Another word from them would be nice.
      The root cause as I understand it is that these places have blocked Skys IP range, it's not something Sky has any control over. They have to physically contact the site admins, who probably need to contact there hosting admins, who then need to contact there techs, who then need to schedule a RFC for there firewall config and if approved finally make a change.

Seeing as I rarely get a response from 50% of the website admins I've tried to contact before I can see where they maybe struggling.

It will take some time to test them all, was it a billion websites we're up to now.

It is unfortunate that the IP range Sky got was previously marked as invalid, it may take 6 months or more for most places to realise and unblock it (unless they're not a Sky fan).

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by allisont View Post
      Hi thanks for replying.
      I won't be able to connect to the main BT point as this is in the hallway by the front door.
      I have had to re-boot again this morning ~ UPNP is already off ~ am giving up hope of stabilising myself.
      Sky tier3?? ~ assume this is Sky support? ~ I originally signed up for 14mb as I wanted the free installation ~ when this didn't happen I downgraded to 8mb ~ I'm wondering if this has something to do with my settings at Sky?
      Thanks for your help.
      Allison
      I think the 8mb (mid) package might already be on ADSL, not certain but I thought only the max package used ADSL2+.

Just as a test I'd still try plugging into the main BT socket just to make sure it's not your extension that's at fault, Sky will probably ask you to try this anyway so seeing if this makes a difference before waiting 45mins on hold maybe worth while.

If it does help you can always rewire extensions. If it doesn't then you know something at Skys' end needs changing.

If you don't have a laptop or wireless PC I can see this being tricky to try.

Tier3 are the folks at Sky who can actually see and change things on the setup side, 3rd line support. You will probably not be able to reach them on the phone but after talking you thru the scripts the call center should log the fault for Tier3 to investigate. People seem to be getting told that Tier3 will give them a call but this doesn't always happen.

Hence anything you can do before spending hours on the phone will save you headaches.

Mr Smee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ailean View Post
      It is unfortunate that the IP range Sky got was previously marked as invalid, it may take 6 months or more for most places to realise and unblock it (unless they're not a Sky fan).
      Hi...my big worry really is where Sky say the issue is "resolved" but it obviously isn't! I guess once they've notified whoever of the changes they feel it's no longer their problem and don't see a need to chase anyone up. It's just really frustrating not having access to the like of ebay and paypal when I've got DVDs to buy and sell...I'm going to need Alias series 4 soon!

Is the assumption that the IP ranges that are ok accessing these websites were originally Easynet addresses and therefore where already in the lists of valid addresses?
      Maybe Mr Murdoch can bring some of his huge (corporate) weight to bear on the service providers of those websites that still have issues...
      ---
      You got us into this parking lot pal, you can get us out!

Coghlan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Keynes
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Had a phone call from tech/tier 3 today.
      Apparently there were errors on my line and they have changed the margins but have not capped the speed.
      I can only get up 2 meg? on my line anyway so not worried about that bit, the rest I dont understand. All I know is that I have uninteruppted internet for the last 4 hours.
      This is the longest since I was activated.
      ONLY TIME WILL TELL

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast