Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Message from the Sky Broadband Team

This is a discussion on Message from the Sky Broadband Team within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well I must say there still appears to be many problems with the Sky service, since taking on Sky broadband ...

TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Sky Experience

Well I must say there still appears to be many problems with the Sky service, since taking on Sky broadband and my service commencing on the 9th October, a little later than my connection date, due to the late router. I have been pleased with the overall service that I am receiving.

I probably like most signed up for the full blown 16mb service and initially could only ever sync at 11mb but the service was unreliable, I too kept losing my service through the router locking up requiring a reboot many times a day. Earlier in the year I had a BT engineer test my line and then he reckoned it was only capable of 6-8mb on ADSL, whether I could get more I do not know.

I got in touch with Sky and after 3 or so calls got a call from their tech department who suggested that I was receiving too many errors on my line and my noise ratio was too low, his suggestion was to cap the service down to 7mb this in turn raised my noise ratio to a steady 15.0db with attenuation of 37.0.
      I now have a stable 7 mb service for £10, I guess I could drop to the £5 service but I guess that Sky will not want me to do this until my 12 month contract is up. I don't intend chasing this as I was previously paying £24 a month for a 1mb connection so I am satisfied, in any case I think my line has room for improvement at home so I may get it rewired and then try uncapping my service but at the moment I'm just enjoying what I have especially when many others seem to be failing to acheive the service that I have.
      Two colleagues of mine have the Sky service, both have stable services one at 10mb and the other at 4mb.
      All of us receive our email through the pop 3 servers with no problems and all can use the email function on the Sky webpage barring one.

Overall I think that the Sky service is excellent, a job well done.

2. Advertisement
      ailean is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by allisont View Post
      Dropped connections

In some threads, customers have reported that they’ve intermittently experienced dropped connections. After investigating this, we’ve made some changes to the network configuration which should resolve this issue in most cases. We’re working on a further fix to address any ongoing occurrences.

I "flashed" my router so that I could install the firmware upgrade... but still have to re-boot up to 4 times per day.
      Will the changes to the network configuration go on to my router automatically or will I need to do anything manually.

Thanks
      Allison
      Mine has been stable since I re-synced while noise level was below 7dB, but I only get 12Mb/s instead of 13Mb/s now!

First time this line has had ADSL on it so I was pleasantly surprised.

I suspect what they mean by "made some changes to the network configuration" is that in some cases where individuals have reported bad dropouts they have switched that customer over to normal ADSL, improving the stability but reducing the speed.

The message reads like it's been thru a 'customer service rep' which has filtered out 'details', not that any of my tech answers have had that treatment at work before...

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
      I have triple checked these details and I'm sure they are correct. If I logon to the Sky Internet Portal and view my email there, it includes the test message sent by Outlook.
      The only way I can receive my POP3 emails at present is through my old dial-up link which then takes over from the broadband with the Internet as well and I lose all the speed advantage that I was hoping to get from going broadband. I'm at my wit's end with what to try next ....HELP PLEASE!
      I take it you have selected "More Settings" (in Outlook) for each individual pop account and checked the Connection tab, making sure they are all on LAN?

Which hosts are your pops on? There's a chance that they may have the Sky ip range blocked at there end.

Like others I can reach 3 other pop domains okay, just can't reach the Sky one from any other ISP and the Portal has never worked for me so Sky's email is fairly useless for my needs.

It may drive me to actually sort out a paid for email service.

davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Ailean,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, the LAN box is ticked.

I have a number of POP3 mailboxes including those hosted on onetel.com, freeserve.co.uk and serverworld.co.uk as well as sky.com and none of them can receive mail using Sky broadband for the connection with Outlook or Outlook Express, but they all work fine with my old dial-up connection. I can receive mail from my Hotmail and Yahoo mailboxes using Outlook Express, but they are not POP3 mailboxes.

I don't think that Sky will let you access your sky email using another connection, so perhaps I have the mirror of this in that Sky is not letting me use its connection to retrieve othe POP3 mail.

David

versatile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THWM
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      @Davids

Not sure whether this will be helpful, I am using Outlook and various pop3 mailboxes without problem. Can you confirm that you have the following setup similar to mine below:

For my Sky mailbox account
      outgoing server is smtp.sky.com
      incoming server is pop.sky.com with my sky username and password

For my Orange (Wanadoo/ Freeserve) mailbox account
      outgoing server is smtp.sky.com
      incoming server is pop.freeserve.net with my Freeserve username and password

davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks, Versatile, for your attempted assistance.

Unfortunately, all my settings are exactly as you specified them, so I'm still not making any progress.

I just cannot understand why most people can get their POP3 email OK through Sky and I can't!

allisont is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brentwood, essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ailean View Post
      Mine has been stable since I re-synced while noise level was below 7dB, but I only get 12Mb/s instead of 13Mb/s now!

First time this line has had ADSL on it so I was pleasantly surprised.

I suspect what they mean by "made some changes to the network configuration" is that in some cases where individuals have reported bad dropouts they have switched that customer over to normal ADSL, improving the stability but reducing the speed.

The message reads like it's been thru a 'customer service rep' which has filtered out 'details', not that any of my tech answers have had that treatment at work before...
      Mine has been stable since I re-synced while noise level was below 7dB,

So shall I re-boot when my noise level is below 7 ~ (I assume this is downstream - mine is currently at 9 - did I read this is best to do in the evening.)

I will also ask SKy to switch me over to normal ADSL.
      ~Thanks
      Allison

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
      Thanks, Versatile, for your attempted assistance.

Unfortunately, all my settings are exactly as you specified them, so I'm still not making any progress.

I just cannot understand why most people can get their POP3 email OK through Sky and I can't!
      Good someone has confirmed they can reach one of your pops from there connection so it wouldn't appear to be a global issue.

While on dial-up can you try opening a Dos window and typing;

ping pop.whatever.com

For each address you have, take a note of the IP address displayed and if it responds.

Then go to your sky broadband and do the same, if that comes back with the same IP addresses then that's one step closer and if the ones that responded on dial-up respond on broadband then it must be something odd in your Outlook settings.

If you don't get the IP address or no response then try changing the pop address in Outlook to the IP address you found on dial-up and see if that helps.

You may find a lot of them don't respond to ping, this is an unfortunate result of the amount of hacking that goes on which forces folks to switch off useful diagnostic tools like this.

(You may find there web server is on the same IP range and responds to pings).

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by allisont View Post
      Mine has been stable since I re-synced while noise level was below 7dB,

So shall I re-boot when my noise level is below 7 ~ (I assume this is downstream - mine is currently at 9 - did I read this is best to do in the evening.)

I will also ask SKy to switch me over to normal ADSL.
      ~Thanks
      Allison
      Yes this is what I gather (I've not used xDSL for several years and that was in a commercial environment so I'm still picking bits up myself ).

Mine actually dropped below 5.3dB last night but still seemed responsive, I did a reboot anyway and synced up at 11Mb and it jumped up to 7-8dB.

9pm seems to be lowest point for me and on the router stats you are looking for the Downstream Noise Margin, when this is about at it's lowest do a reboot and you should see the Connection Speed drop but the Noise Margin increase.

I've also switched off the UPNP on the router, as mentioned in the handy guide here (think my SMC router used to break with this on too).

Sky tier3 seem to refer to the tweak at there end as either capping or changing to ADSL but either way if you can stabilise it yourself it should be better.

I'm also connected direct to the main BT socket, not an extension, if you're not already give this a go.

allisont is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brentwood, essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ailean View Post
      Yes this is what I gather (I've not used xDSL for several years and that was in a commercial environment so I'm still picking bits up myself ).

Mine actually dropped below 5.3dB last night but still seemed responsive, I did a reboot anyway and synced up at 11Mb and it jumped up to 7-8dB.

9pm seems to be lowest point for me and on the router stats you are looking for the Downstream Noise Margin, when this is about at it's lowest do a reboot and you should see the Connection Speed drop but the Noise Margin increase.

I've also switched off the UPNP on the router, as mentioned in the handy guide here (think my SMC router used to break with this on too).

Sky tier3 seem to refer to the tweak at there end as either capping or changing to ADSL but either way if you can stabilise it yourself it should be better.

I'm also connected direct to the main BT socket, not an extension, if you're not already give this a go.
      Hi thanks for replying.
      I won't be able to connect to the main BT point as this is in the hallway by the front door.
      I have had to re-boot again this morning ~ UPNP is already off ~ am giving up hope of stabilising myself.
      Sky tier3?? ~ assume this is Sky support? ~ I originally signed up for 14mb as I wanted the free installation ~ when this didn't happen I downgraded to 8mb ~ I'm wondering if this has something to do with my settings at Sky?
      Thanks for your help.
      Allison

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast