Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Message from the Sky Broadband Team

This is a discussion on Message from the Sky Broadband Team within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If the number of people experiencing major problems is relatively small, why aren't some of the tech staff available to ...

djjerryatric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01375
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited - that's a laugh!
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      If the number of people experiencing major problems is relatively small, why aren't some of the tech staff available to concentrate on those cases? On no occasion has anyone bothered to contact me when requested.
      Sorry, I don't believe it. -No organisation is going to admit if there are major problems, unless they have to. Just remember what happened to Ratner when he told the truth. Sales plummeted. We may never know.

2. Advertisement
      gsxr_shaun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      It's getting to the point now where I'm seriously considering hammering the connection in an attempt to use the fair use policy to get cut off. I can't live with having to browse everything through a proxy, it destroys the whole point of having a fast connection. It's even worse when they still haven't got such hugely popular programs like windows messenger running, sites like ebay don't work and I can't log into my sky emails, poor show.

They've got a week before I give up and go elsewhere, I never expect anything to work perfectly instantly but when the problem seems to be quite wide spread I'd expect it to be fixed quickly.

Coghlan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Keynes
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Dropped connections

In some threads, customers have reported that they’ve intermittently experienced dropped connections. After investigating this, we’ve made some changes to the network configuration which should resolve this issue in most cases. We’re working on a further fix to address any ongoing occurrences.
      I have not seen any improvements in the service and still have to reboot 3/4 times a day. I am glad this is only intermittent dropped connections, would hate to see it any worse.

Waited 10 days for tier 3 to phone me but was out when they phoned, so I suppose I will have to wait another 10 days for a call.

LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This is by far the worst broadband experience I have ever had. So far a number of websites that I visit do not work (including www.tvcables.co.uk) and now at this present time I can't even login to xbox live!

Not only this but I find myself lately having to reset the router 3 or 4 times a day - because it ranges from no or little connection, to no DNS servers found (in the xbox live test).

I've experienced a lot of slowdowns e.g. skype conversations break up, web cam eventually drops, websites go very slow. This can happen after a day or sometimes after a few minutes after resetting.

To cap it all off, I sync the same or less on Sky Broadband Max (16mb) than I do on BT MaxDSL. So I thought ADSL2+ would bring some improvements (but at 1.59km straight line distance) I still can only sync at 6mb. My SNR drops at night, and I resolve this by rebooting the router. But I keep it like that, until another loss of connection requires me to reboot again.

I've never had such problems with any broadband service like this.

I've replaced the main faceplate with a ADSL nation pre-filtered one, I do not have any extensions. I am very familiar with the Netgear DG834 line as I had one for 3 years before receiving the DG834GT.

That router never caused me any problems.
      Sky Max 16mb

Connection Speed: 5999 kbps down 975 kbps up

Masterblaster 3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy

Having read the official line here, I have been on the phone a couple of times over the last few days. I am yet to receive an invitation to join, only repeated emails telling me that all 3 broadband packages will be available to me, even though i registered weeks ago. When I quote the official posting back to them, noone has a clue what i'm talking about and they don't understand why the statements made in it have been posted! http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Although it was good to see that Sky are taking note of the comments on this forum, I would certainly appreciate a clear statement on Sky's policy in relation to using Outlook and/or Outlook Express to retrieve/send Sky emails and also whether it will allow access to other, non-Sky POP3 email accounts.

Although I have had my Sky broadband for three weeks, I still cannot receive emails from my other POP3 email addresses although I can send to them using smtp.sky.com.

If you call the Technical Support line, you just get fobbed off with 'we don't support anything other than our own web mail', but that is just not good enough when one receives hundreds of emails a day and need to use filtering rules to sort them into folders, as one can do with Outlook or Outlook Express and many others. If Sky claims to offer a top-quality, professional broadband service, it HAS to support these fully functional email programs.

Sky, I hope to read your considered response.

David

Ralph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWNEDG
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: 2x Sky+HD 1tb
      Thanks
      Besides Sky's POP3 & SMTP servers, I also access 3 other external POP3 mail servers, using both Outlook2003 & Mailwasher (Under Win XPpro).

I also access an external SMTP server for the record.
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @ David

For more info on SkyBB policy in relation to using Outlook and/or Outlook Express go here How do I set up email accounts in Outlook Express?
      Please note: if you are trying to create an email address for someone else in your household you must first set them up with a sub account so that the new address will be recognised by the Sky mail servers. Once that is done you can follow the instructions below so that email to and from the address can be managed via Outlook Express.

Alternatively you may set it up manually. These are the instructions for Outlook Express on a PC:

1. Open Outlook Express, click Tools then select Accounts
      2. Click the Mail tab, then click Add and select Mail
      3. The wizard will start. Type in your name then click Next
      4. Enter your email address then click Next
      5. Enter the Sky mail server address: xxxxxx then click Next
      6. Enter your username and password then click Next
      7. Click Finish
      8. To complete the acount creation process click Tools then select Accounts
      9. Click the Mail tab, then click Properties
      10. Click the My server requires authentication box to place a tick inside. Click OK
      11. Repeat the above process for each mail account you want to set up, including sub accounts. Each sub account will have a different email address and password. If you're having trouble sending email from Outlook Express (or other email software), it may mean you need to switch on SMTP authentication.
      As for accessing other POP3 accounts just as Ralph has said I also have 6 other accounts and a couple of SMTP that I use to send and receive with no problems.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 08-10-06 at 10:40 AM.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks Ralph and Wheelie for your comments and help, but it still doesn't work for me. I have checked the setup many times and it is certainly correct. I have used the Outlook Express settings for many years on Freeserve (or Wanadoo or Orange as it became) with a dial-up connection, so I didn't even need to change anything except the smtp server to smtp.sky.com, tick the requires authentication box and switch the connection to LAN.

My settings follow Ratti3's guide to the letter and I can send emails through smtp.sky.com, but I cannot receive any of my POP3 emails which worked fine with my previous ISP on dial-up. I can access my Sky email through the web portal, so I must be using the correct user name and password, but I cannot access it with Outlook or Outlook Express.

If I set up my Sky email details in Outlook and run 'Test Account Settings', it successfully completes the following tasks:

Establishes network connection
      Finds outgoing mail server (SMTP)
      Finds incoming mail server (POP3)
      Sends test email message

but fails the task: Log onto incoming mail server (POP3) with the error message: Outlook could not logon to the incoming mail server (POP3). Please verify the settings for User Name, Password and E-mail fields.

I have triple checked these details and I'm sure they are correct. If I logon to the Sky Internet Portal and view my email there, it includes the test message sent by Outlook.

I get exactly the same error message if I try to use the Sky Broadband service to send/receive my other POP3 emails with Outlook or Outlook Express, even though I could do this quite successfully with my old dial-up connection.

My Sky broadband has been live for about three weeks, so everything should be set up OK for me. I don't know if it would affect anything, but I do use AVG virus scan which checks all incoming emails, but I did not install McAfee. I have tried disabling the AVG email scanner and the XP Firewall, but still no success.

The only way I can receive my POP3 emails at present is through my old dial-up link which then takes over from the broadband with the Internet as well and I lose all the speed advantage that I was hoping to get from going broadband. I'm at my wit's end with what to try next ....HELP PLEASE!

allisont is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brentwood, essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Dropped connections

In some threads, customers have reported that they’ve intermittently experienced dropped connections. After investigating this, we’ve made some changes to the network configuration which should resolve this issue in most cases. We’re working on a further fix to address any ongoing occurrences.

I "flashed" my router so that I could install the firmware upgrade... but still have to re-boot up to 4 times per day.
      Will the changes to the network configuration go on to my router automatically or will I need to do anything manually.

Thanks
      Allison

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast