Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Today was my activation date for Sky Broadband. I plugged in my black Sky router in to the wall and ...

seadog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband

Today was my activation date for Sky Broadband. I plugged in my black Sky router in to the wall and everything worked fine. I then decided to switch it to another power point that was more convenient. Upon plugging it back in all I get is the green power light, nothing else. I tried holding the reset pin in for 10, 20, 30+ seconds but nothing happens. I spent an hour on the phone to Sky support who took me through the powering up, etc. They then promised to call back and never did, so I phone again and got another promise of a call back...

So, to cut a long story (this is my first day with Sky!) short - I have a black Sky branded Sagem router which only displays the power light. If I plug in an ethernet cable in to slot 1 I see a green "1" light up, but it shows in both Vista and Win 7 as an "unidentified network" and won't let me get to 192.168.0.1.

Sky seem to be dragging their feet about sending a replacement router. This is certainly not a great first experience. What can I do? I've searched for hours on Google but not found anyone who is unable to reset their router or not able to access it via ethernet cable! Also on the bottom of the router I just see Sagemcom, there's no model number. The CD I have from Sky is v5 if that helps.

Any help from the community here would be great - I'm getting none from Sky at the mo

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband

Unfortunately there has been a lot of reported issues with the new router.

From your description of the events it sounds like the PSU has gone faulty.

If you have another 12v router PSU lying around, see if it will plug in and power the router.

If this resolves the issue, then call back Sky and ask them to send you a replacement PSU.

If you can't get it to work, just keep calling them until someone can actually help you.

Please be aware that the tier 1 personnel need to run through a script. If they don't they get told off by their bosses.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Someone can correct me if I'm incorrect, as I've never had to run through the procedure, but with these new sagems if you're getting just a power light only then you'll need to run through and update the firmware via the v5 CD you have.

Unfortunately, I have no idea the exact procedure as to how to update the firmware, so perhaps another Sky employee who knows can chime in. Otherwise, call Sky as I believe there was a briefing about this a while back and it states how to update it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If this is the case, on the older routers can't you press the reset button for about 50 seconds to force it to revert to the original firmware?

Is it possible that this could work with this router?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it after getting nowhere earlier and still no call back. Frustratingly I'm having to try and convince them that there's a problem to then wait 5-7 days for a new router or power supply - if they send a PSU and it's not that, then it just compounds the delay in getting online.

@User05 - interesting you should mention that. The Sky rep who never called back (he gave me his staff ID/login name, but the next rep said she couldn't look him up) said his boss mentioned something about v5 CD and updating the firmware. However, if I can't get an ethernet connection to be recogonised in either Vista or W7 and therefore can't access the 192.168.0.1 status page, I don't know how I could update it. When I asked my 2nd Sky rep if she knew, she had no idea - and instead flagged this for a call back... which may or may not happen.

@Scubbie: Quick update, I tried holding reset for over 50 seconds - a minute in fact, but nothing happened. I guess as a new customer I have a relatively new (if not brand new) router?

Keep the replies coming, appreciate it

PS. As I'm a brand new customer (this is meant to be day 1) and the fact the router doesn't mention any model number, other than Sagemcom - any idea what router I'm likely to have?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've managed to source another 12v PSU and it still has the same problem. Green power light only and ignores the reset button being pressed for any time period (10 secs to 1 min plus). If anyone else as any ideas, perhaps relating to this firmware update from the v5 CD if that's something others have done?

Exchange:
      Thanks

You may find someone can chime in with the exact procedures on how to fire through the update process via the V5 CD, but if you're getting the win vista/7 unidentified network business, then that's a problem in itself I guess.

I'd suggest calling up on 08442410515 and you'll get through to broadband tier 1. Tell them that you have the new sagem router, which is only getting a power light and can they lead you through the update process as you have the V5 CD to hand.

If the person you get literally doesn't know what you're talking about, then you could either call-back and pray to get someone who does, or specifically ask them to open 'Chordiant', go to the 'information' tab, and then into the briefs section and there is, I believe, a brief with a step by step guide how to do the update. The issue itself is down to a certain batch of the new sagem routers not receiving the firmware update upon first login.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, looks useful and looking forward to hearing the confused Sky rep when I start telling them what page to click on!

However, before I call, I'm concerned that if I can't access the status page (192.168.0.1) page then I'm not going to be able to do this? The fact it's showing as unidentified network in both Vista (on a laptop) and Windows 7 (desktop) implies it's the router rather than the OS?

With regards to the broader issue of these new Sagems being stuck with just a power light, I searched the forums here and Google but couldn't spot many/any other references to it - how are you aware of it?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I work for Sky, albeit not tier 1, but all of tech support should be aware of this issue.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, hadn't realised you worked for them

Any idea on whether I need to access the Sky Router status page to do this? I just don't want to hold (have to pay local rate) for so long and then find out they can't do the update without it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast