Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm pretty sure that part of the process is to change ipconfig settings before attempting to login to the router ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband

I'm pretty sure that part of the process is to change ipconfig settings before attempting to login to the router and run through the update process. Perhaps that'll sort out the unidentified network glitch, but then again given the annoyance of unidentified network issues, that's anyones' guess.

Failing all of this, I'd suggest just pushing for a replacement router.

2. Advertisement
      seadog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cheers, any idea of what router I actually have? As mentioned, it just says Sagemcom on the bottom and no other model number or details. There's a sticker from Sky with the Wifi login details, the MAC address and the Serial Number - that's it. The serial number is in the format of NP11009020xxxxx if that helps?

What I'm wondering is whether I can get the Sky user name and password and use an old Netgear router while this is all sorted out? I'm aware of the cracking site, but wasn't sure if I needed to be online on my main Sky router to do this?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'd assume it is the Sagem F@st 2304N. Out of interest, what's the mac address?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've sent you a PM about the MAC address as I wasn't sure about posting it online.

I manually entered some IP details in to the IPv4 config settings in Windows Vista and I'm now able to access the Sagem update page at http://192.168.1.1

Browsing the v5 CD the only relevant (as far as I can establish) file is in E:\utilities\cfe\F2304_5_12_4a4N_fs_kernel_NONE

Reckon I should apply that via the page that appears on the IP address?

Exchange:
      Thanks

As I say, I've never had to run anyone through the process so I'm not absolutely sure, but if that's really the only relevant file in the utilities folder, then I'd suggest to fire away. Once you've gone through the update process, then change the ipv4 settings back to automatic and see if it's sorted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

seadog (06-04-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not sure whether to be delighted or depressed by the fact we've fixed something I spent hours on the phone to Sky trying to do earlier!

With some pointers from User05 and a bit of Googling on resolving the "unidentified network" issue, I've been able to access the firmware update page of the router at http://192.168.1.1 and then took a punt that the file* in /utilities/cfe (full name and path in earlier post) was the right image to flash the router.

...and I'm now posting from Sky!

In order to fix the Vista/W7 issue, I edited the IPv4 configuration of my LAN card (via Control Panel > Network Connections) and used these values:

IP Address: 192.168.1.99
      Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.1

Everything else in that setting area leave as is*

If I wasn't relatively confident with technology and if it wasn't for the likes of User05, then I'd be sitting for days waiting for a rep at Sky who knows his or her stuff to take me through what we worked out in this thread!

I'm still going to flag this up to Sky as an issue they should make their call handlers more aware of - I spent hours on the phone and got nowhere. Also it does raise the question of why they are shipping routers out that need firmware updates to work. Less technically-minded users wouldn't stand a chance of working out the fix we did here.

Thanks again and lets see what happens if/when Sky ever return that call!

* These worked for me and might not be appropriate for everyone. Likewise the update file I found might not be correct for you. Basically I'm just sharing my experience and this is by no means a 'how to' guide. Use at your own risk!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Glad it's all sorted.

Sky are aware of the issue affecting those certain mac addresses (the faulty batch), but unfortunately, as you've experienced, it's all about getting through to someone on the phone who is aware themselves, which everyone in tech support should be if they read the brief.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Guessing that they were searching for it in sky answers.

It is as user05 suggested in the info tab dated the 23rd march sagem router refresh.

It is apparently only effecting routers with a starting mac address of C8C. The router according to the info tab is the sagecom 2504n.

That same router also has an issue with setting the encryption to WEP.

Just a sidenote think the info tab suggests setting the ip address to 192.168.1.2.

Although it is in the info tab nobody has been made fully aware that it is actually there.

Glad you managed to get sorted.

You must have got someone with a brain as the script doesn't say to set the default gateway or dns to what you mentioned. Although if this is not done it will not work.
      Last edited by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers; 06-04-11 at 01:27 AM.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      It is apparently only effecting routers with a starting mac address of C8C. The router according to the info tab is the sagecom 2504n.
      Checking my status page I see:

Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2304
      Firmware Version 5.14.6a4N

However, have confirmed via PM with User05 that I'm likely to have an affected model as it starts C8C, so I guess it's also the 2304s?

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      You must have got someone with a brain as the script doesn't say to set the default gateway or dns to what you mentioned. Although if this is not done it will not work.
      Actually I'm still waiting for the official Sky support - 2 long phone calls and the best they could do was flag it for a call back - within 72 hours!

All the work above was either a bit of encouragement from User05 (for the firmware upgrade) and good old Google for the network settings that I used to fix the "unidentified network" issue when connecting to the router via ethernet cable.

It's frustrating that Sky are sending out these routers (I only got this one last week and the MAC address is one of the faulty ones). Less technically minded Sky customers are likely to go crazy trying to resolve this one over the phone, even more so if the support reps haven't read the brief - as in my case!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
      Less technically minded Sky customers are going to go crazy trying to resolve this one over the phone!
      Agreed.

Also, I have no idea why your issue was escalated. The advisor you've gotten through to has basically fobbed you off so that another advisor (in tier 2) will pick it up and have to do the tier 1 advisor's job.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast