Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Kindle and Sky -Sagen Router

This is a discussion on Kindle and Sky -Sagen Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by SkyCST Not sure why, but sometimes with sky routers and random devices it just wont connect unless ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Kindle and Sky -Sagen Router

Quote Originally Posted by SkyCST View Post
      Not sure why, but sometimes with sky routers and random devices it just wont connect unless you change SSID (Name of wireless) and passphrase.
      Normally changing SSID and changing WPA PSK pass will do this.

Sometimes you may have to change security from WPAPSK to WEP. (Slightly less improved security but still is fine)
      I've found that changing the SSID to all lower case letters can resolve the issue with some XP & Vista laptops.

Some members have had issues with printers and have had to disable the security altogether until a firmware update was automatically installed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      jmd1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01909
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

well as said I have tried various things but cannot change the WPA setting, and using upper or lower case makes no difference! still waiting to hear from Sky Support!
      seems ludicrous that you can buy something that is advertised as wifi but your router does not agree!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky can't do anything regarding the Kindle as it's not their product
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmd1 View Post
      well as said I have tried various things but cannot change the WPA setting, and using upper or lower case makes no difference! still waiting to hear from Sky Support!
      seems ludicrous that you can buy something that is advertised as wifi but your router does not agree!
      When you say that you can't change the WPA settings, what do you mean?

When you try changing it to WEP, does it only give you the option of sharing under Authentication Type?
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Kindle supports WPA as my gf has one connected to our o2 Wireless box using WPA2
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Kindle supports WPA as my gf has one connected to our o2 Wireless box using WPA2
      Thought that it might but wasn't sure.

I have an ipad 2 instead of a kindle lol
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

jmd1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01909
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

It might not be a Sky product but the router is that it will not connect to! and since my laptop and my printer work wirelessly[and they are not Sky products] I should expect the Kindle to connect too.
      I want to know why Router won't recognise the Kindle - other people must have one and use it with the router surely?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think there may be a bit of confusion here. I get the impression that the OP is trying to change the encryption in the Kindle, it should be on the Router.

Before trying to change anything, try connecting with the default key, this is shown on the label of the router or on the card you received with it. It is all capital letters, no numbers.

If that fails, go into the router settings by putting its address in the address bar of a browser or by clicking here http://192.168.0.1
      The username is admin and password sky.
      When you get into the status page click the SETUP link in the top left.
      Check that WPA is selected
      Scroll down and highlight the Network key shown in the box at the bottom, replace it with abcdefgh and click apply. Now try to connect entering abcdefgh as the network key.
      If you connect, go back into the settings and change the key to one of your own. Make it at least 12 characters, which can be anything you can type. This will be the key you use in future to connect.
      Last edited by Isitme; 06-04-11 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Typo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmd1 View Post
      It might not be a Sky product but the router is that it will not connect to! and since my laptop and my printer work wirelessly[and they are not Sky products] I should expect the Kindle to connect too.
      I want to know why Router won't recognise the Kindle - other people must have one and use it with the router surely?
      If other devices connect to the router then that points to the issue being with the one that doesn't connect, in your case the Kindle.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your last post crossed with mine, you did not say before that you had other devices connected by Wireless, so you can probably ignore my post. The only thing might be, as mentioned before, the Kindle does not like your existing pass word. So changing to lower case may help.

I am not sure about the Kindle, but do you have to select Wifi or 3g, if so have you checked this. Do you have anyone you know with a broadband connection you could try it on. If it works on another router, it would point to the router being the problem. If it doesn't......its the Kindle.

Have you had a look at the Kindle forum?
      Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast