Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router Help

This is a discussion on Router Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have the netgear plugged into my computer for broadband, however I need a router plugged in to sky ...

stuandsally is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router Help

Hi

I have the netgear plugged into my computer for broadband, however I need a router plugged in to sky box for sky anytime+ and I don't get a good wireless signal all the time. Computer and sky box are opposite ends of the house.

I do have a BT Business Hub, would this work if I plugged in to the sky box for anytime+ or is it easy to set up to work?

Thanks in advance for your help

Stu

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Router Help

A pair of HomePlug adapters will do the trick well. These plug into your mains socket and use your electrical wiring to act as a Ethernet connection.

These often need next to no knowledge to set up and come in a variety of forms. Personally I would opt for these. A couple of features to look for include:

* connection speed should be either 100mbps or 200mbps (confusion over how they are quoting it equals the same thing)

* choose a pair with a electrical socket built in (this means that you don't loose a power point as they do not work well on surge protected extension leads)

You can the also use your BT Business Hub to extend your network and provide addition Ethernet ports near your TV. This is useful if your TV or Home Theatre System or Games machine needs Internet access as well.

See this thread for more information on connecting the BT Business Hub to your Sky Router:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I have been looking at the plug adapters. However I just thought I already have a bt hub not being used and rather throw more money at it would this plug into the sky box and work.

Currently I am having to move the netgear from the bedroom and plug into the skybox when I want to watch skyanytime and back again when I want to use the internet so the sky box is all set up to take a modem.

I will give it a try tonight, just thought I would forward myself with any knowledge first.

Cheers...Stu

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

A quick google search reveals that the Business Hub supports wireless bridging. So you should in effect be able to get the Hub to pick up the Wifi from your Sky router and connect the HD box through that.

Thanks

You're welcome to try to bridge the router wirelessly to the Sky router. Experience has shown that this does not always work well.

The document in the thread that I posted does describe how to connect the two routers together using the HomePlugs. The effect means, as I mentioned, that you gain 3 LAN ports beside your Sky+ HD STB (1 of the 4 will be used by the HomePlug).

More and more AV equipement is becoming network & internet enabled and demanding high speeds. Your Sky STB is just one of them.

Sky have hinted recently that DLNA may be enabled on the new Sky HD STB. This may also happen for the Sky+ HD STBs. This will mean that you will be able to stream video content from your STB to your laptop or vice versa. IMHO you will definately appreciate not having the slower WiFi signal on the Sky router involved.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You do understand that the Hub will have to be connected to the Sky router in some way to allow you to use the internet. It is not just a case of plugging the Hub into the phone line. You can connect it by ethernet cable or homeplugs, as suggested by Scubbie, but I doubt if you will be able to connect it wirelessly to the Netgear. The Sky firmware makes creating a wireless bridge difficult, if not impossible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Woah, too much to take in for someone who doesn't have a clue

I have a phone line next to my sky box and just wondered if a BT modem would plug in and run a broadband signal to the sky box so I don't have to keep bringing the netgear modem downstairs.

Wifi isn't great in our house otherwise I would keep the netgear downstairs next to the sky box and run it wireless to the bedroom for the internet.

I will give it a go and see what happens

Thanks for your help

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

You cannot replace the netgear with the BT modem.

If the BT router is an n grade router it can be piggybacked to increase the wireless range
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

You talked about connecting the BT Business Hub to your Sky Router. Now your saying that you want to connect the BT Business Hub to the telephone line & connect the Sky STB wirelessly to the BT Business Hub.

Are you now saying that you have already purchased the Sky Media Bridge?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry If I am being a dumb ass and not explaining my situation very well.

Upstairs - I have a mac with a netgear plugged into for my internet (not wireless). This is plugged in from an upstair telephone socket. Internet runs fine.

However downstairs I have sky HD box with anytime+ but cos the modem is upstairs i'm not getting anytime +. Its all set up with a lead to plug into a modem and there is also a phone line there to plug into. If I want to watch something on sky anytime+ I currently have to bring the modem downstairs and plug in however then I can't use the internet upstairs.

Wireless doesn't work very well in our house!

So, I was just wondering before I spend money on a plug system, if I could keep the netgear where it is (upstairs) for internet use only. Then plug a 'second modem' in downstairs using the downstairs phone socket just for anytime+ (in this case I have a spare bt business hub OR i also have a Linksys ADSL2 Gateway)

Apologies again if not explained properly and thankyou for all your support/help so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast