Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Username and password from old router?

This is a discussion on Username and password from old router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You know, if somone just had access to that special system, we could just put in your usernames and find ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Username and password from old router?

You know, if somone just had access to that special system, we could just put in your usernames and find the passwords in seconds....
      It is and we do

I understood the password was visible to CST but could not be given out to users?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyCST View Post
      Dunno about it using the same algorithim as i always heard that the algorithim used was created by netgear as it was the netgear routers, i know its skys firmware but apparently a guy from netgear thought it would be a good idea to leak the algorithim and generate a way to determine the password from the username.
      No that was James, a member of this forum, not a Netgear employee. He reversed engineered it out of the router.

I always heard that you could flash the router, or you could use a packet sniffer to find the packets being sent back for PPP and obtain login details from it, but to be honest this is too much hassle.

PPP sends a hash of the password as I recall, with only the username in plain text. I'm not sure how you'd hook a packet sniffer up to the adsl output of a router, unless you happen to own your own dslam, although you can see the PPP output from the dg834gt range of netgear router's (including the sky one) by putting them in PPP_debug mode => Mel's Notes: Netgear DG834G

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I understood the password was visible to CST but could not be given out to users?
      Yes, we can see everything, but we don't give the details to customers over the phone under any circumstances. Some advisors have done this (and should be shot).

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

It is and we do

Tier 1 can see the details as well. If you know were to look.

It is just that it is a sackable offense to give them out.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      Yes, when returned routers are refurbished they are given a new MAC address, but the old MAC address is still in Sky systems (albeit suspended)
      That's interesting, I didn't think that was possible and that the MAC was burned in by the OEM and could not be changed. You learn something every day

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Yes, we can see everything, but we don't give the details to customers over the phone under any circumstances. Some advisors have done this (and should be shot).
      I appreciate that it is Sky's intention to have everyone one their own branded routers, but I believe it would be a lot better if they could open up this and realise that they are holding users back.

Many will argue the support issue, I would argue that the basics aren't too difficult to comprehend for most support staff with the correct training.

If it were made very clear that only limited support could be offered to those who use their own routers, I am sure that people would quickly come to terms with this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I appreciate that it is Sky's intention to have everyone one their own branded routers, but I believe it would be a lot better if they could open up this and realise that they are holding users back.

Many will argue the support issue, I would argue that the basics aren't too difficult to comprehend for most support staff with the correct training.

If it were made very clear that only limited support could be offered to those who use their own routers, I am sure that people would quickly come to terms with this.
      I agree that people should be allowed to use their own routers with limited support.

The only problem is that if it was implemented chances are they would get no support regardless of the issue.

I will happily troubleshoot any issue regardless of the router.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's interesting, I didn't think that was possible and that the MAC was burned in by the OEM and could not be changed. You learn something every day
      Not sure if it's done for each and every one, but on a couple of occasions when I've looked up a router MAC there's been a note stating to the effect that it's been returned & refurbed and gives the new MAC address. This might be because when a router is issued, the MAC is then associated to the customer's account.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

I completely agree actually, but at the end of the day we're all there to do the job the business requires of us, and it doesn't help if there are advisors who are a law unto themselves doing things like that which can potentially open up a whole big can of worms.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I completely agree actually, but at the end of the day we're all there to do the job the business requires of us, and it doesn't help if there are advisors who are a law unto themselves doing things like that which can potentially open up a whole big can of worms.
      I'm not asking those on the phone to go against the wishes of the bosses.

I realise that this would need to be a policy decision made higher up in the chain.

I also advocate training staff to be able to operate all the present systems which they have access to and suitable training to allow them to assist customers with basic settings for non-Sky branded routers.

Anything more complex than setting up PPPoA or PPPoE, enabling WiFi protection and entering the Sky login details could be referred to their manual or on-line forums such as this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast