Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

iPad and Sky e-mail

This is a discussion on iPad and Sky e-mail within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is there any way to set up my e-mail on the iPad so that when I delete a message, it ...

wonnyjilkinson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North of Watford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

iPad and Sky e-mail

Is there any way to set up my e-mail on the iPad so that when I delete a message, it is deleted from the server also. Presently, every message I receive even when deleted on iPad, is also received into Outlook Express for when I next log in via my laptop.

It's just a bit irritating so if anybody has any ideas, I'd be very much obliged.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: iPad and Sky e-mail

Yes, there's 2 ways of doing this.

Either setup your Sky Email using an Exchange/Push account (see this post for instructions) or setup Sky email as an IMAP account (see this PDF for instructions; whilst these instructions are for the iPhone/iPod Touch, it's exactly the same for the iPad too)

Both these options will delete the message from the server when you delete on your device.

The only difference is that the Exchange account will push emails to your iPad/iPhone as soon as they arrive. IMAP will only fetch emails at the time intervals you specify on your device.
      Last edited by James_Mitchell; 04-04-11 at 01:55 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is there any way to set up my e-mail on the iPad so that when I delete a message, it is deleted from the server also
      If you are using POP, in the Settings, Forwarding and POP/IMAP use the drop down box to select 'Delete Sky Mail's copy'. This will delete the email as soon as it is downloaded by the iPad or laptop.

If you want to synchronise the mail between the two devices, you will have to use IMAP.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

wonnyjilkinson (04-04-11)

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonnyjilkinson View Post
      Is there any way to set up my e-mail on the iPad so that when I delete a message, it is deleted from the server also. Presently, every message I receive even when deleted on iPad, is also received into Outlook Express for when I next log in via my laptop.

It's just a bit irritating so if anybody has any ideas, I'd be very much obliged.
      I wrote the guide in the below link about setting up Push email with Sky. Setting it up with the instructions provided in the link will do want you are wanting.

Sky email PUSH iPhone

wonnyjilkinson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North of Watford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Thanks for that.

I had actually configured e-mail on my iPad using your helpful guide yet somehow, when I occasionally log in to my lap top, all mail (now including all sent mail) comes up, each as a new message.

Should I be doing something within the Sky portal in some way? Sorry, I should add that I had also seen IsItMe's suggestion above and I have done that too, yet my problem persists.

It's getting so frustrating this now.
      Last edited by wonnyjilkinson; 14-04-11 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Update to include response to earlier advice given

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are using POP and selected to delete mail you should not be getting any that you have previously downloaded.

I am not sure about IMAP but I think you may have to visit the Sky web page and delete the read mail from there. The fact that you get sent messages coming up suggests you are using IMAP and these are synchronising with Outlook Express.

I would advise you to use another mail client, OE is outdated and possibly insecure. What are you using on your iPad? Is it compatible with Windows. Mozilla Thunderbird is compatible with Mac and Windows and might be a good choice. It is a very good email client.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.