Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long before activation.

This is a discussion on How long before activation. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Im moving from Opal LLU to Sky for land line and broadband.My phone line is due to go live on ...

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How long before activation.

Im moving from Opal LLU to Sky for land line and broadband.My phone line is due to go live on 8/4/11.How long after that will the broadband be activated ?
      Obviously dont want to be without broadband for too long

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: How long before activation.

Typically not more than two weeks.

Once your telephone line has been connected, check your 'My Sky' account on Sky.com a day or two after the line connection.

If after two days the order doesn't show, give Sky a call.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Nostromo (02-04-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

2 weeks wheres that tethering app for me phone

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I ordered Sky Broadband Unlimited on 24 March and because Sky made a right mess of my order (after 4 days I got a letter from them saying they were 'sorry I wanted to leave' and to use the enclosed MAC within 30 days!... followed by Sky cancelling my order... without even telling me!).

I've now been given the 18 April for activation, but I'm not holding my breath as I haven't even received the modem router yet!

Sky seemed, in my case at least, to take a simple migration process and make it very difficult!

Good luck with your activation... chances are you'll be up and running before me : - )

Thanks

In fairness all companies do make mistake at times. I am not saying that BSkyB is perfect. With around 3.2 million BB subscribers in January of this year, Sky has been working hard to increase this even further.

The 'normal' process varies.

In some cases both Sky Talk & Sky BB services are connected at the same time, whilst in others there is the 2 week delay.

Then there are the few instances where something goes wrong and the connection time is delayed for longer periods. A good measure of a company is not that things can go wrong, but how it deals with things when they do go wrong and how it resolves things.

I would expect the OP to have BB after no more than 2 weeks after the telephone line is connected. I would also expect Sky to make amends when this have gone wrong.

With an activation date of 18th April, you should receive your router (provided that you've never had one previously) about a week before.

Based on knowledge & experience, I would be tempted to connect the router soon after that. It is not unknown for the BTO engineer to connect the BB service 3 or 4 days before the activation date.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

What kind of router are they sending out nowadays Netgear ?

Thanks

Sagem. It is either the 2304n or the 2504N.

The 2304n is WiFi n Lite (72mbps) and not properly recognised as WiFi n enabled, but does have a better signal strength than the older Sky routers.

The 2504N is fully WiFi n certified, but little information is known on this forum about it at present.

Recently there have been many faulty routers returned to Sky, but in the last couple of weeks those reports have subdued.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Nostromo (02-04-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Will let you know which version when it arrives

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply and info

I of course appreciate that companies make mistakes and given the size of Sky, I guess it's almost inevatable that mistakes will happen but in my case, the one error (still dont know why they thought I wanted to leave, when I actually phoned up and ordered Sky Broadband? : - ) ) seems to have produce a dominoe effect of errors and to this date, I've lost track of the number of calls I've made to customer services and e-mails to try and find out what is going on and to try and resolve the issues.

I've been a Sky TV and Sky Talk telephone customer for some time now so I honestly thought that migrating my broadband to Sky would have been easy. I should have known things had gone sour when I contacted Sky shortly after placing my order to give them my MAC from my exisiting ISP (they sent it to me within an hour of requesting it) only to be told they didn't need it. When I asked why, I was told that it was because I was connected to Sky's own equipment (this later proved incorrect and I was in fact still connected to BT's equipment) at the exchange.

It took numerous telephone calls and e-mails to get Sky to realise that something had gone wrong with one supervisor trying to say the problem was that my telephone exchange was just getting up-graded (to LLU) but when I pointed out that I knew the exchange had been LLU with Sky since 2007, I was given another story about the type of connection, etc.

I'd have much preferred it if Sky had just said they got it wrong and given an assurance that they were doing everything possible to rectify the situation and get me connected as soon as possible but the status page on the Sky portal is still showing that my order is cancelled!

My existing ISP contacted me twice yesterday to say that BT had informed them that my line will be cancelled with them soon and that they wont be able to provide a broadband service to me without the BT line. Again, Sky have assured me my line/broadband wont be cancelled... I just hope they have that bit right otherwise I may well soon be without a telephone service and broadband.

I'm going to give it a few more days and hope Sky can sort themselves out. Hopefully I wont have to get to the point of phoning them and telling them what they can do with their whole package ; - )

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sagem. It is either the 2304n or the 2504N.

The 2304n is WiFi n Lite (72mbps) and not properly recognised as WiFi n enabled, but does have a better signal strength than the older Sky routers.

The 2504N is fully WiFi n certified, but little information is known on this forum about it at present.

Recently there have been many faulty routers returned to Sky, but in the last couple of weeks those reports have subdued.
      There is still a firmware issue kicking around for the 2304n

It doesn't allow the encryption to be changed to WEP.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast