Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How long before activation.

This is a discussion on How long before activation. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by sam_skyuser one supervisor trying to say the problem was that my telephone exchange was just getting up-graded ...

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: How long before activation.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_skyuser View Post
      one supervisor trying to say the problem was that my telephone exchange was just getting up-graded (to LLU) but when I pointed out that I knew the exchange had been LLU with Sky since 2007, I was given another story about the type of connection, etc.
      It is possible though that BT were migrating your phone service to WLR3.

At the same time Sky might have been trying to migrate your phone and BB to SVBN(fully on Skys equipment).
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I'm trying to recall, but from memory didn't you discuss this on another thread?

I seem to recall that some metaphorical wires got tangled up when someone decided to move you from Sky Talk & another ISP to an all Sky LLU service.

You have an activation date of 18th April for your Sky BB Unlimited. I would expect your router to arrive around Monday 11th April. It is possible that your BB may actually go live anytime from Wednesday, but this is not a guarantee. They may well hold it until Monday 18th.

All I can suggest between now and then is for you to familiarise yourself with things that can help you to make the most of your connection when it finally arrives. Such things include Filtered Faceplates, tidying up extension leads, using the grey ADSL lead for the router (not an extended one), methods to extend your WiFi coverage, positioning of the router in relation to other electrical items and so on.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

sam_skyuser (03-04-11)

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Thanks again for the info.

Not sure that thread you were talking about was me : - ) .... my ISP at the moment is O2 and I've been with them for about 3 years now.

I've had Sky TV and Sky Talk for many years now and always thought that my line was with Sky, but it seems it's been with BT.

As far as I understand, my telephone line and broadband will be switched to Sky's own equipment at the exchange... when, and if I get migrated : - )

All noted about the faceplate etc. I removed pin 3 (ring wire) some time ago from the master socket (it made a HUGE difference in my speed and made my connections much more stable when I did) and I recently upgraded to the Netgear DGN3500 modem router which has improved my wi-fi, increased coverage and because it has giga Lan ports, has increased throughput on the Lan side of things.

I'm not sure what type of modem Sky supply (I'm led to believe you have to use their equipment as it has the username/password embedded) but hopefully it wont be too far removed from my own equipment I've been using.

I'll keep an eye out for the modem arriving. My hope is that Sky are now on top of the problems and my migration will now go through without any further delay on the 18 April ... fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the advice... much appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      It is possible though that BT were migrating your phone service to WLR3.

At the same time Sky might have been trying to migrate your phone and BB to SVBN(fully on Skys equipment).
      To be honest, I'm not sure. I've been with Sky Talk for some time now and have always assumed I was on Sky's equipment, but it seems I was connected to BT.

Last information I had was that at the point of migration on the 18 April, both my telephone line and broadband will be switched to Sky's own gear.

Certainly, when I frst ordered Sky Broadband on 24 March, there was no indication that there would be any problems. I was asked to get my MAC from my ISP (O2) and after they'd supplied it to me (within an hour of asking for it), I tried to give the MAC to Sky and it seems from there on in, the dominoe's started to tumble

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I was asked to get my MAC from my ISP
      This may have been at the root of your problem, if you are moving to Full Sky Rental and broadband you will go on to their SVBN. (Previously, although you had Sky Rental they would have been unable to migrate you to the SVBN as your broadband was provisioned elsewhere). This does not require or use a MAC. All it would need would be for someone not aware of the proper process to try to apply it to mess things up completely. Hopefully it is now sorted out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This may have been at the root of your problem, if you are moving to Full Sky Rental and broadband you will go on to their SVBN. (Previously, although you had Sky Rental they would have been unable to migrate you to the SVBN as your broadband was provisioned elsewhere). This does not require or use a MAC. All it would need would be for someone not aware of the proper process to try to apply it to mess things up completely. Hopefully it is now sorted out.
      Yes, that may well be correct, but at the point of placing the order for Sky Broadband, one of the last things I was asked to do was to get hold of the MAC from O2 and supply it to Sky a.s.a.p.

Hopefully Sky have now ironed out all the problems their end. There is of course only so much a customer can do and I thought I'd done all that was required by both Sky and O2 (my broadband provider at the moment) for a smooth transition from one ISP to another.

I've now got other things crossed besides my fingers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12