Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice on connection after DLM

This is a discussion on Advice on connection after DLM within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all, I've been looking through the other posts and think its awsome the amount of support that is given ...

Redblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMLONGB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Advice on connection after DLM

Hey all,

I've been looking through the other posts and think its awsome the amount of support that is given here, so I thought i'd post and get some advice.

After DLM my stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5023 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5db 16.7db
      Noise Margin 13.6db 11.6db

Now, from what i've read this seems a little slow for the downstream connection speed but the issue I am facing is that I am inside a new build flat.

All the faceplates have security torque screws which stops people like me meddling with any wiring and I can't find any other relevant boxes in the rest of the house. I started off in the socket where the TV aerial enters the flat for the DLM period, but now moving it to socket next to my intercom the noise margin increased by 5db (not a huge gain but a gain). Any advice before I call and see if I can get an improvement? I can see a very circular conversation coming regarding the fact that I need to plug it into the master socket, and me replying that it isn't possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Advice on connection after DLM

Leave your router where it is and call Sky. Tell them you have improved your wiring and would like your speed reconfigured. 5db is quite a lot really and can make a big difference to your speed.

Unfortunately many flat dwellers are punished by their phone wiring and usually there is not a lot you can do about it. Normally your attenuation would get you 14-16 Mb, but I doubt if you will get much more than 8Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Advice on connection after DLM

Quote Originally Posted by Redblue View Post
      I can see a very circular conversation coming regarding the fact that I need to plug it into the master socket, and me replying that it isn't possible.

Thanks in advance.
      Agree with IsItMe

Simple solution to above is to tell them that you are currently connected to the master socket.

If they question it tell them that you don't have an NTE5 master socket and therefore don't have a test socket.

When they ask how you know its your master socket tell them that you removed the socket to check it there was a capacitor behind it.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms