Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DLM Finished and not syncing as expected

This is a discussion on DLM Finished and not syncing as expected within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Lets put things into perspective for a moment. If someone has researched the device properly, then they will know what ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: DLM Finished and not syncing as expected

Lets put things into perspective for a moment.

If someone has researched the device properly, then they will know what they are doing and what can be done with them. If the training exists, then the best will be made available to all.

However I am reminded from this morning's coverage of the Grand Prix just how dangerous it can be to have such a comprehensive list of available options.

This season a new breaking system has been introduced for the rear wheels. It can produce an addition 50hp, yet Vettel won in a car that didn't use the system.

Grand Prix has existed as a computer game for years (I love it!) and it too has introduced a lot of additional features to allow you to tweak your car beyond the original settings. Get them wrong and you can't drive the car without crashing at every bend.

Now thinking about the number of posts regarding tier 1 and some CST personnel, I wonder how long it would be before the whole Sky BB network was completely messed up?

with this in mind, you need to reduce the options available, otherwise over 3 million Sky BB users wouldn't be with Sky for long.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Lets put things into perspective for a moment.

If someone has researched the device properly, then they will know what they are doing and what can be done with them. If the training exists, then the best will be made available to all.

However I am reminded from this morning's coverage of the Grand Prix just how dangerous it can be to have such a comprehensive list of available options.

This season a new breaking system has been introduced for the rear wheels. It can produce an addition 50hp, yet Vettel won in a car that didn't use the system.

Grand Prix has existed as a computer game for years (I love it!) and it too has introduced a lot of additional features to allow you to tweak your car beyond the original settings. Get them wrong and you can't drive the car without crashing at every bend.

Now thinking about the number of posts regarding tier 1 and some CST personnel, I wonder how long it would be before the whole Sky BB network was completely messed up?

with this in mind, you need to reduce the options available, otherwise over 3 million Sky BB users wouldn't be with Sky for long.
      Essentially the main difference in terms of configuration is:

The SNR selection for both is pretty much the same.

ISAMs have a large amount of option buttons on a graph that can be chosen from all having different max delays, INP upload and download etc.

DSLAMs have a text both for upload and download allowing for manual entry of numbers.

Also handy if someone is wanting the max delays set at 8ms as there are not that many "Gamer Profiles" which usually results in a drop in sync speed.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I am not denying that you could get better speeds with such a system.

My underlying point is that neither you nor I would be able to drive a F1 car and configure it properly.

Even if we were to go on a special course, it would take us a long time to get the best from a car.

Similarly, if you were to reintroduce a system for ADSL2+ that could be minutely configured, most people would never get it right.

The result would be a huge population of unsatisfied clients.

Whilst most of us would hate the DLM process, it does appear to get a very good result for the majority of BB customers. Since this works on a limited range of settings, I would say that it therefore supports the argument of restricting the number of potential settings.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

When DLM works it can do magic with a line.

Although I think User05 said before that DLM has far more profiles available to it than the amount that are able to be manually assigned. Hence the reason that it does a much better job.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Essentially the main difference in terms of configuration is:

The SNR selection for both is pretty much the same.

ISAMs have a large amount of option buttons on a graph that can be chosen from all having different max delays, INP upload and download etc.

DSLAMs have a text both for upload and download allowing for manual entry of numbers.

Also handy if someone is wanting the max delays set at 8ms as there are not that many "Gamer Profiles" which usually results in a drop in sync speed.
      This is a limitation of LAMA, not the ISAMs. DLM can set an ISAM line to any arbitrary speed.

It's also pointless using the gamer profiles, does the exact same thing as any of the other "normal" 8ms profiles

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      This is a limitation of LAMA, not the ISAMs. DLM can set an ISAM line to any arbitrary speed.

It's also pointless using the gamer profiles, does the exact same thing as any of the other "normal" 8ms profiles
      My point was more the fact that on a DSLAM any line can be set to an 8ms max delay as opposed to an ISAM were there are limited choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12