Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Under 100kbs at peak times

This is a discussion on Under 100kbs at peak times within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I need some help with my connection, i have been with sky since 2007. But since April 2008 i have ...

R1030 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Under 100kbs at peak times

I need some help with my connection, i have been with sky since 2007. But since April 2008 i have been getting very slow speeds at peak times, i have called sky many times and been given the same off the book questions and answers. I am with sky connect and understand everyone gets this but im finding few people go below 500kbs at peak hours. Some days i have had as low as 10kbs between 5pm- 1am which is useless as its when i need the internet. Loading skys own webpage can some days take as long as 10minutes.

Is there anything i can do to speed my connection up? After an hour on the phone to sky last night i was finally told to get a better service i would need to upgrade to their best pack, but then i was told i couldnt get it in my area, after being told he would be right back and person i was speaking to then hung up on me.

Is there anything i can do, or is getting my mac code the best choice?

Also i was told over the phone to go to my router status page and check downstream upstream connection, which has been sat on 5481kbs download since 2007, the number never changes. As its just text. The sky tech guy said this is the speed i am getting and there was no problem.... when three other sites say im not even getting 100kbs and the fact loading even this forum takes 2-5mins per page sometimes says otherwise.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Under 100kbs at peak times

Sadly there is nothing that we can do to help you whilst you are on Sky Connect.

The issues are simply caused by a lack of investment from Sky. If they paid more money to BT Wholesale to allow more bandwidth, changed their systems so that they could teak the connections and passed this on to you and the other 2 Million Sky Connect users, then you wouldn't be experiencing these problems.

There are better options available and they don't all mean that you have to go to BT for your Broadband.

Firstly, take a look at SamKnows. Punch in your home location and see which providers have a presence in your local telephone exchange. These are most likely to be able to offer you the best deal.

Next search in sites like thinkbroadband, DSL ZoneUK or Google to see which package out there can suite your requirements and has a good reputation.

Whilst everyone here will have their personal choices, personally I would argue that your needs may differ from theirs.

Sky BB Connect though is pants.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

R1030 (25-03-11)

R1030 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Under 100kbs at peak times

Thanks for the information, i cant even load samknows right now. Il have to wait up for 1am to check it out