Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shocking slow speed on new connection

This is a discussion on Shocking slow speed on new connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Wondering if anyone can give me some advise on my Sky connection. The estimated line rate we are supposed to ...

skynetgs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clydebank
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Freesat
      Thanks

Angry Shocking slow speed on new connection

Wondering if anyone can give me some advise on my Sky connection.

The estimated line rate we are supposed to receive is about 3.5MB - 6MB according to Sky Technical

However when our connection was activated (and even 48hours later) the actual Download speed is only 0.4MB with 0.9MB upload

Router stats as follows;
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 486 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.5 dB 25.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.4 dB 11.2 dB

Currently the NEW SKY Sagem Router, their connecting cable and new micro filter are connected directly to the Test Socket on the BT Master Plate and everything else is disconnected.

I've tried calling Sky Technical support and all I got told is oh yea, that is rather slow isnt it. Oh well nothing we can do.

I requested they escilate within sky and or arrange a BT engineer to check the line - they refused.

It's a new provided Sky Line, Talk Package and Unlimited Broadband on an LLU exchange.

Does anyone have any advise or recomendations of how I can bypass the shockingly poor technical support call takers and get to someone who will actually do something about the fault.

Currently I've been given the 10 day training rubbish - yet the T&C's say I only have 8 days from activation to tell Sky to go fish. Sounds like they are just trying to stall me from trying to cancel the contract and sc ** w me over.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Shocking slow speed on new connection

To confirm, are those stats taken from when the router is in the test socket with just a filter and the short grey dsl cable provided going to the router?

Do you have any noise or issues on the landline?

Thanks

Correct, Filter connected directly to test socket, Then the short grey DSL cable as supplied with the router going to the Sagem Router.

Have done the 17070 quiet line test, no issues very clear and Sky's test system confirmed line is ok. No hiss cracks or pops.

Exchange:
      Thanks

DLM won't do a thing for that line, so you're best getting back onto Sky and it should be escalated to Customer Solutions (CST). Booking an Openreach ADSL trained engineer to investigate will likely be their action.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Just to make sure when you are connected to the test socket are all the other telephone points dead?
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are using the Test socket and not the master socket -
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

If you are there is a serious problem with your line or the router. Check that none of your other sockets work when the faceplate is removed. Is there wires attached to the faceplate of your master socket? You should have around 7-8Mb with your attenuation. Finally, to rule out a router problem, do you have another router you can plug in to check the stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Update -

Yes I am running all the tests with the Faceplate removed from the BT Master Socket - This means all extensions in the house are dead.

Microfilter & ADSL Modem is connected directly to the test socket within the BT Master Box

ADSL Stats now showing;
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 280 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 dB 25.3 dB
      Noise Margin 6.3 dB 15.7 dB

System Details
      Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2304
      Firmware Version 5.14.6a4N
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b

ADSL Port
      Network Type MER

It's beyond a joke.

After spending nearly 2 hours on the phone to Sky today the outcome is as follows;
      1) I asked for a fault ticket - Refused, given excuse everything is done via account number
      2) Asked for fault to be put up to higher level and an Openreach Engineer to attend, test and fix the line - Was Laughed at and told well that aint going to happen
      3) Sky's OWN technical people laughed and said "Wow that really is a bad speed" but nothing helpfull
      4) Was told - Wait 10 days and then call us cause were not going to do anything until the re-training completes.

Yet as I pointed out to them the T&C's only allow for an 8 day termination clause in my favour. I said to technical that how am I supposed to sit and wait for 10 days only then to find out they are not going to do anything, by which point I cant use the 8 days clause and I end up with sky ripping me off for a 12month term contract for something they cant be bothered to supply.

I've asked them multiple times to confirm their estimate of my line speed. Every person says between 3.5 and 4.5 Meg connection. How in hell can they expect me to put up with Download of 0.2 Meg. Especially when my upload is better than download???

What advise can anyone give me?? What do you have to do with Sky to actually get them to provide meaningfull technical support? Ive asked and asked for this to be escilated and every time they have refused.

Help!

Thanks

Question Re: Shocking slow speed on new connection

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Finally, to rule out a router problem, do you have another router you can plug in to check the stats.
      Am I allowed to do this - Seems from looking at this Forum using another router is likley to have you cut off for breach of contract?

Also I notice this Sagem is connecting as Network Type MER - So will another router (eg a Linksys ADSL Router) actually do anything meaningfull as it only supports PPPoA

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sky won't disconnect you so quickly as that.

Technically it is against Sky's T&Cs to use your own router. In practise they haven't really done anything to back this up. There are occasional stories, but nothing confirmed. We are literally talking of two or three nationwide.

Currently sky are rolling out MER to take over PPPoA. However it has been found that if your router only supports PPPoA, then it will connect on this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skynetgs View Post
      What do you have to do with Sky to actually get them to provide meaningfull technical support?
      Honestly, it'll just be a case of getting through to someone with an actual functioning brain. Just tell the next advisor that you've tried the router at the test socket, swapped filter and running no extensions. You're getting nowhere near the speed estimate that you received at the POS. The 'start speed' of 4mbps isn't even being achieved, so this spiel about awaiting the DLM process won't do any good at all.

You've done all you can do at your end, bar trying another router of course, so it should be escalated (as per normal procedure - it shouldn't be being made this difficult) to the Customer Solutions Team (CST) who will do what they deem necessary. That will be replacement equipment or an Openreach SFI visit, the latter being most likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast