Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shocking slow speed on new connection

This is a discussion on Shocking slow speed on new connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you've got a spare router, try it. You never know. It could save you a lot of hassle. Connecting ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Shocking slow speed on new connection

If you've got a spare router, try it. You never know. It could save you a lot of hassle. Connecting a non-sky router for a minute or two won't cause any harm but it will definitely clear the air.

The key to being put through to CST is persistence. Keep on ringing back till someone raises a ticket.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

skynetgs (27-03-11)

3. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Finally, to rule out a router problem, do you have another router you can plug in to check the stats.
      By this I meant just plug the other router in and take the stats, you do not need to be connected to Sky to get these. If the results are much the same then the problem is on your line. If the problem is with the router your will see a rise in the speed or noise margin or both.
      This means all extensions in the house are dead.
      It should mean this, but have you actually checked? Incorrect wiring can cause terrible problems with broadband. Sorry to go on, but your figures just look too bad to be true, especially if you have no problems with the voice line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skynetgs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clydebank
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Freesat
      Thanks

Angry Re: Shocking slow speed on new connection

Yup - Have actually checked and all extensions are non functional with the BT masterplate removed so that the modem is in the test socket.

So much for Sky's leave it for the 10 days and it will improve, This mornings stats;

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 150 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 25.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.8 dB 15.6 dB

Worse not better :-( Grrrrr

Will pick up another router and try it tomorrow night and update you all then.

Thanks for the advise so far about just keep pushing them until they agree to do something. I will bug the daylights out of them as of Monday once the 'second' router test has been done.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynetgs View Post
      ...I will bug the daylights out of them as of Monday once the 'second' router test has been done.
      Why wait until Monday? There is someone working all Weekend and they can get ever so lonely on a Sunday.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Why wait until Monday? There is someone working all Weekend and they can get ever so lonely on a Sunday.
      Might get lucky and get me on Sunday lol.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

skynetgs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clydebank
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Freesat
      Thanks

This just gets better and better.

Stats now;
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 288 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5 dB 25.0 dB
      Noise Margin 8.6 dB 16.0 dB

So STILL aint getting better, in fact Upload is getting WORSE!

Have now tried a new Netgear ADSL router in the BT Test socket on a new ADSL lead and Microfilter - No change. (ironically connected PPPoA ok though ha ha) However upload and download stats as above.

Called Sky - Made it very clear (though I was still polite) that not waiting for this 10 days cr * p about DLM Training. That I required they stop messing about and that everyone accecpt what is abundantly clear - there is a fault on the line and that they cant fix this one from behind a desk but need to just get an engineer out here.

Made it very clear to Technical that todays complaint was ending one of two ways, Solution & Engineer - or they could transfer me to a manager in complaints and I would be terminating the contract on the basis that they have not supplied services contracted or advertised at point of sale.

Got given the run arround for over half an our - THEN TO BE CUT OFF!! !!*!*!*!!*!!!*!*!*!

Now trying yet again to get hold of them. Does anyone on the forum have any contacts within Sky Technical that they can let me know off, or details of management.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Ok, take a breather and prepare to call them back again.

i always make a written note of the name of the person with whom I am dealing. Cutting off someone can be accidental, but our suspicious minds don't allow this kind of thought to be likely.

I would suggest that you don't give them the ultimatum again as they won't care about resolving the issue.

Earlier this morning I searched for another thread for a graph showing the correlation between line length and speed. What mostly turned up was the attenuation and line speed.

The graph below is from the ADSL24 Forum and shows what you can expect to receive. Their figures are slightly higher than Sky's, but not that much. This is because they have a target noise margin lower than Sky (5dB as opposed to 7dB).

There is an email address that can be provided for the executive team within Sky. A search of this forum will reveal it for you, or someone who can recall it may post it here for you.

Edit: I've added 2nd pic from BeUserGroup forum that shows a better indication for what us Sky Users might see.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shocking slow speed on new connection-normalsync.jpg  
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by Scubbie; 27-03-11 at 09:04 PM.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your upload is worse as they have moved you to G.DMT, you download has improved slightly but that is not good enough. I think it proves your line is faulty, especially if you get the same speed and noise margin with another router. You either have a bad actual line fault or the card you are connected to in the exchange is faulty. I think you may need a tie pair shift, which you should suggest to the agent next time you call. Your problem really needs escalated to the BT side, I don't know what it is actually called, to have your exchange connection checked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Not too many Tier 1 agents know what a TPS is. See This

Hopefully since they don't know they will escalate it to CST.

Think for a card reset it goes to NOC as opposed to Openreach.

The problem that you are encountering is that Tier 1 have to read the script almost word for word these days, one of the questions it asks is DLM running?
      Since in your case it is, it basically says tell them to call back in 10 days if they still have the same issue.

Were you put on hold before you were cut off?
      If you were chances are that there system froze and they were unable to take you off hold, it really isn't their fault it happens regularly.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12