Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Problem that has just got worse

This is a discussion on Problem that has just got worse within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by playwithfire Thanks, Do you know if Sky have a gaming profile?? They supposedly put me on it ...

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Problem that has just got worse

Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
      Thanks, Do you know if Sky have a gaming profile?? They supposedly put me on it before, When they found out that I have a PS3. They told me that it means that less errors will build up.

When I asked about it after they told me that there isn't a gamer profile and that i'm not on a profile??

If there is one!! Would I be better on or off it?

Before my recent problem the best speed that I have ever had is about 1.2MB. A BT engineer told me that he is surprised that I get 1MB. I don't know where I stand in asking them to make my speed better. Are they fobbing me off or is that (1.2MB) the best I can really get?

They told me that my speed is headlining at 2MB. Earlier when I was on the phone to Sky they put it up to 8MB but they said it made no difference.

I feel like my hands are tied because I don't know the technical ins and outs of it all.
      If you have been told that you are not on a profile then it just means that you are on a DSLAM were the speed can be manually set.

Only ISAM's have profiles were the settings can only be chosen from a list.

Either way a gamer profile is just settling your max delays to 8ms.

Don't no why you were told it would reduce errors as it is more likely to increase the number of errors that builds on your line.

What it will do is reduce your ping times and therefore you will experience less lag when gaming on line in theory. If your line starts to build too many errors you will then start to experience packet loss which is worse than a slightly higher ping time.

Before doing anything we need to make sure that your setup is perfect as a gamer profile with poor setup will result in packet loss. Once your setup has been corrected and the line needs re-profiled you will have to give sky a call to change the profile at which time a gamer profile/8ms max delay can be set.

Your hands are not tied as we can tell you the technical ins and outs.

The reason that setting the line at 8 didn't help is because you line is unable to handle the speed and therefore errors will likely be created, therefore reducing your throughput speed.

They also should have used the term access as opposed to headline as the headline speed for LLU packages is 20Mb

Would it be possible to post the test socket stats anyway? There likely won't be a speed increase but an increase in the SNR, which is what we are looking for.
      Last edited by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers; 25-03-11 at 03:23 PM.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The reason your attenuation figure has dropped is that you are now on G.DMT. When a line is set to ADSL2+ it shows the full attenuation, in your case 70+dbs. The maximum that will be shown when a line is on G.DMT is 63.5dbs.

What you need to do is call Sky and ask to be put through to CST as you are not happy with your speed. If Tier 1 say you are getting as much as you can, tell them, with all due respect, that you do not believe that and would like passed to CST. If you get hold of a decent agent there he/she should be able to get your speed up to 1.5Mb+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The reason your attenuation figure has dropped is that you are now on G.DMT. When a line is set to ADSL2+ it shows the full attenuation, in your case 70+dbs. The maximum that will be shown when a line is on G.DMT is 63.5dbs.

What you need to do is call Sky and ask to be put through to CST as you are not happy with your speed. If Tier 1 say you are getting as much as you can, tell them, with all due respect, that you do not believe that and would like passed to CST. If you get hold of a decent agent there he/she should be able to get your speed up to 1.5Mb+.
      Tell them to use pacman to check as EALS will say you are currently getting more than your max, always does.

Most of Tier 1 have now lost LAMA access so will probs need put through to CST.
      Last edited by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers; 26-03-11 at 01:49 AM.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

playwithfire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

thx people I'll try got bt openreach coming tomorrow hopefully"But doubt" it will get fixed. try to keep you updated. And thx again

Thanks

I could almost bet that BTO will find nothing wrong. Your line needs properly configured by Sky, that is the only way you will get an improvement.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I could almost bet that BTO will find nothing wrong. Your line needs properly configured by Sky, that is the only way you will get an improvement.
      Agree that its probably going to come back line shows right when tested

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Hi, Still waiting for the engineer to come, I just had a look at the speed again and noticed that the attenuation has gone up to 80.5db, Not seen it that high before. Also, The noise margin fluctuates consistently from around 10db to 11.5db. Should it do that? It refreshes every 10 seconds and the number is different just about every time.

I'll let you know what happens when they come.

If you are both right and the line is fine, Sky will probably just send another engineer out. Sky/BT seem to just pass the buck between each other.

Thanks

I just had a look at the speed again and noticed that the attenuation has gone up to 80.5db
      It looks like you have been put back on ADSL2+

Post your stats and we will see.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

On my phone right now so can't put stats on. Guessing that you are right though.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
      The noise margin fluctuates consistently from around 10db to 11.5db. Should it do that? It refreshes every 10 seconds and the number is different just about every time.
      That amount of fluctuation is normal especially at the weekend when the line can pick up interference from other lines.

The attenuation of around 80 just means that you are on ADSL2+ and have a line length of around 6km. Although i have seen longer lines with lower attenuation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast