Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange slow speed problem

This is a discussion on Strange slow speed problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, New to the forum and I know as with every forum I know there is a search function. ...

WxmDan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ruabon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Strange slow speed problem

Hi guys,

New to the forum and I know as with every forum I know there is a search function. But, my problem is very strange to search for as it cannot be classified as just throttling.

A bit of background story, 2 weeks ago broadband began to seem slower than usual in the evenings with loading pages etc... This I did not think much of at the time. Then it gradually started to happen longer throughout the day. At this point in time it is 24/7... but when checking the downstream speed it is at 4 mb's +

Videos streamed from websites such as youtube and iplayer have become un watchable as they refuse to buffer.

Speaking to sky CS they seem to think it's because Sky don't have LLU's in my area... but surely having 4 mb's + coming into the house the internet should be running fine?

Please let me know if there is any info you require me to supply for a more accurate problem solution. It's just really starting to get on my wick now...

Cheers guys

Dan

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Strange slow speed problem

Really, in a nut-shell, Connect is a terrible product. However, before just pinpointing the issue with the package itself, if you fancy ruling out everything else first then do the following:

Post up your stats:

How to get your router statistics

Also, try running a speed test at Test Result

When it asks for a username, this is the mac address (found on the bottom of the router) with @skydsl on the end e.g. 00F29325FS@skydsl

Reply with all the results, including the IP profile.

Thanks

Hi User05,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sagem F@ST 2504 [Sky Firmware]

ADSL Link
      Downstream Connection Speed 4992 kbps
      Upstream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation D/S 31.0 db U/S 17.0 db
      Noise Margin D/S 15.4 db U/S 23.0 db

Cannot access the line tester atm as it doesn't seem to be working for me

Problem is I really don't want the hassle of having to change providers but if I have to, to get the best speeds then I will... The only reason i'm on connect atm is because when I signed up for sky I was misled into believeing i could have the 20mb package...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quite a number of people are reporting issues with running the BT speed test unfortunately.

Looks like the downstream SNR is targetted to 15dB, but you should be syncing at the full 8128/448.

Just out of curiosity:

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets? If so, how is it connected?
      Do you have a test socket?

Thanks

This is what is puzzling me because prior to 2 weeks ago i was receiving the full 8 meg...

1 master socket - tried plugging straight into the test socket.
      microfilter with phone/modem cable plugged into it
      short grey cable
      Sky TV is not connected as no need for it to be

To be honest I found Sky Tech support to be very unhelpful this time... previous encounters with them (and to be fair there has not been many) have been great, but this time round they even managed to put a false cancellation request on my account when I mentioned that I was THINKING of leaving them :P

They said there is nothing they can do without even asking me about whats going on in the router.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

WxmDan
      Hi Sky have been unbundling exchanges lately with less than 5,000 residential premises in Wales you can view on SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search you could try and find out If your exchange is due to be Sky unbundled. I noticed your exchange is due 21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/05/2011. %The ISPs with LLU are Orange and TalkTalk (CPW). Try Bt Updated Speed Tester all the instruction are there.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Tier 1 can't really do anything for Connect calls. It needs escalated to Customer Solutions (CST) to be looked at. It may be that it just needs a SNR reset requested, in which you'll be back to the full 8128 sync and your profile will then settle at 7150 again.

Once it's been looked at properly, at least then you know you'll be getting the 'best' out of a rather bad service. Failing that, and it's still bad, then you'd be best looking elsewhere for LLU (if any at the exchange).

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Hopefully you get a tier 1 that send it to CST instead of blaming traffic management outright.

If they tell you to do a few speedtests morning, noon and night tell them that you need an SNR reset request put through.

If they know what they are doing then they will escalate to CST, if they don't they will be confused and do the same.

Either way you should get to CST.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses,

So I will ring them in morning and get them to (hopefully) do a SNR reset.

Time frame on something like that happening? or is this a "We'll notify you when this happens"?

Good news with 21CN WBC but of course it all depends on if Sky buy the lines, this I will hopefully find out tomorrow if they will be buying the lines... up to 24 meg BB yes please

User05: LLU's in my area are Talktalk and Orange, I really do not want to go with Talktalk as my parents are with them and all they ever seem to have is problems... but this of course could be situational.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

It will probably need logged of to BT normally they have 72 hours to fix issues with lines so at a guess I'm saying 48-72.

I am not sure on timeframe that is just a guess going by usual BT response times.

Chances are you will get past tier 1 to CST they will log it and contact you to make sure that it has been done.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast