Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Strange slow speed problem

This is a discussion on Strange slow speed problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You haven't got much options open to you really. I know Talk Talk is offering fibre-optic broadband soon whether or ...

geoffxxuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Strange slow speed problem

You haven't got much options open to you really. I know Talk Talk is offering fibre-optic broadband soon whether or not that's in your area I don't know. Probably worth ringing them up and asking whether it's due to be in your area anytime soon. That's option 1 anyway. Other option is to go with Orange which I don't think is a bad network for Home broadband though I have never been with them so don't take my word for it. Fish around on the internet to see if they are or not.

You are most likely to get a faster connection with Orange LLU than with Sky Connect. And you only have to take a look around these forums to know that

Here is a link if you decide to go through with Orange. http://www.broadband-finder.co.uk/pr...nge-broadband/ apparently they are offering new customers 20 HMV voucher if you sign up online which is a bonus.

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Chances are that you would get 12-14Mb on LLU.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

WxmDan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ruabon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hey Guys,

Quick update,

Contacted Sky they agreed to pass it on to CST. They will be sending somebody out to check the exchange and do an SNR reset...

Hopefully the end of my problems... They I can stick with Sky connect for the time being and hope they buy some lines by the time ADSL2 comes along.

Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

Happy days then sounds like you are getting somewhere.

Don't get what you mean about "hope they buy some lines by the time ADSL2 comes along"

When the exchange is LLU it means they lines will then be able to use ADSL2+.

Guess you mean that you are hoping that they LLU your exchange so that you can get ADSL2+. Would hopefully mean that you get 12-14Mb
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

char355 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi, I'm on sky connect as well. it seems like your problems in your original post describe the traffic management policy if you download a lot. the 40gb fair usage policy is applied daily, so about 1.3gb a day, go over this and you will be slowed down between 5pm and 1am and i mean really slowed down, sometimes taking minutes to load web pages. I have tested this to confirm it so now i set a transfer cap on my download manager of 900mb a day so i have the rest for web browsing and other stuff. now i never go over 1.3gb a day i never have speed issues.

other things I've read but not confirmed, file sharing such as bit-torrent will be slowed down between 5pm and 1am however much you download. if you download over 10gb in a week you will be slowed down for the next week and if you download more than 40gb in a month you will be slowed down for the next month, not sure about this tho.

IMO this is a ridiculous fair usage policy, updates for the software i use can be over 1.3gb a day and pretty much means you cant download a Linux distribution without using a download manager that will let you spread it over a few days. can't wait until there are other options in my area.

Thanks

Sorry yeah I ment ADSL2+ me and my quick fingers...

char355: I don't download much at all in fact i rarely get close to the 40gig cap a month and this problem has started all of a sudden. Traffic management would surely not show 4 meg+ on the router status?

I'm currently trying to find out if I can request one of the new routers as I really hate the Sagem.

Cheers

char355 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Your right its probably not if you don't download much, just thought it was worth pointing out. It can start pretty suddenly tho if say you downloaded a lot last month you'd be slowed down as soon as you went over. An easy way of testing for this: (you're not supposed to do this though) is borrow another sky modem and check your speeds, the traffic management is based on the Mac of your modem not your line. I've tested this with mine, I had a spare modem in the garage. Just dont let sky know

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Exchange:
      Thanks

There has been instances were traffic management has also happened outside of peak times. we can look into other options if the SNR reset doesn't solve the issue.

Thanks

Update No.2,

Hey guys,

Just to let everybody who is interested know my line has gone down and is currently going through ADSL Training (the joys of blackberries!).

Hopefully this is what I've been waiting for!

Will keep you all posted as to any developments

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12