Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

service deteriorated drastically

This is a discussion on service deteriorated drastically within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i appreciate the help you have tried to give, Scubbie. all i meant was, in response to Isitme, i did ...

kevpc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: service deteriorated drastically

i appreciate the help you have tried to give, Scubbie. all i meant was, in response to Isitme, i did select the router i am using, as it is in the list. you are correct that it is not an official sky router.

anyway, change of tack a bit. just been to my next door neighbour. he is with sky broad band too and as far as he is aware, is on the unlimited service. i was of the opinion that this was the 20mps one (if you can get it). he is using a sky white netgear and it is set at 'auto 108mps'. when i looked at the status page, his downstream is 4mps and upstream is 560kbps. am i correct that his speeds are well down and that he is actually on the 20meg service? when i did a 'sky test' from the router, it returned an 'error 200'. dont know what that is. he is connecting wirelessly to his laptop.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Technically Sky BB Lite & Sky BB Unlimited are classified as UP TO 20Mb. Due to the technical specifications of ADSL2+ (on which it is based) the longer your telephone line is, the speed will drop.

Poor quality connections & lines also reduce the speed.

If there is an issue with your neighbour, mention this forum to him and suggests that he start a new thread by posting his Router Stats and an explanation of the issue.

I'll let someone else comment about the rest of your response.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok Scubbie. tnx for your help and input.
      just had another chat with my neighbour. he told me he pays 7.50/mth so assume he is on the everyday lite. as i thought and you have said he should still be on the 20mg service, just with limited amount of download each month. no way should his speed be as low as it is. i did reboot his router but it came back up with the same speeds of 4mg down and 560 k up. i am now wondering if the problem i have been getting and what he is getting are related. if so, related to BT (as i suspect) or to Sky?
      as sky supposed to phone me again tomorrow to see if i have had any drop-offs or speed reductions, will say to them about him as well.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

he told me he pays 7.50/mth
      That is Unlimited, with Sky Talk and TV. Lite is either free if you have Sky Talk or 5 if you don't.

If he is a close neighbour, given that you have a fairly high speed, I would say that his low speed is due to interference from his internal wiring. As Scubbie says, tell him to join the forum and post his stats from the normal position and from the Test socket. No offence meant, but is difficult enough trying to give help directly without doing it through a third party.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

further update people. checked the router at midnight last night. all ok at the 14.2mps. checked as soon as i got up this morning, speed down to 8.2mps. phoned sky, tried to tell me my line is training, after 2years of being on unlimited service. they did several reboots, managed to get my sync speed DOWN to 7.6mps! sky told me i must wait up to 72 hours to get a call back while the network is checked. i am still convinced this is a BT line problem. trying to get anyone to agree with me is proving impossible. even the BT engineer said if my speed dropped to less than 11mps, there is a major issue, even tho' he didn't find it tuesday. my sync speed is now half what it was until middle of february!

spoke to neighbour today. he is on the unlimited, not the everyday lite. he checked his speed this morning (using sky, white netgear router as i said previously) and was same as mine (we are in the same semi), 8.2mps. as for neighbour, his router was only a matter of about 4 feet from the laptop when checking. no change when he changed distance between the two. what internal wiring could cause the problem for him, considering it is the same issue as mine?

Thanks

You did say -
      i did reboot his router but it came back up with the same speeds of 4mg down and 560 k up
      That is a vast difference from what you are getting, hence my remark about internal wiring. You now say he is getting 8Mb, which makes it a bit different. The distance the PC or laptop is from the router makes no difference to the Stats, only the download speed using wireless. You have two different phone lines, just because they are going into the same building does not mean they are going to perform the same. As I said, if he wants to be sure he is getting the best speed he can, ask him to join the forum.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

have asked him to join the forum. it is up to him now. the point i was making about him getting same speed as me was, according to BT engineer, there are only 3 lines from the exchange to the cabinet 0.5 miles approx from where we live that then, i assume split? to serve the various poles, then houses. if the house phone lines are separate up to the pole outside, will they then merge before getting to the cabinet or after the cabinet to the exchange?

Thanks

As far as I am aware each individual line goes from the house to the exchange, there is no question of them being merged. The only exception I know to this is DACS, where a line can be shared with 2 numbers, but this does not allow broadband. Unless it is fibre, I don't think any line can carry more than one broadband signal.

In my experience, some BT engineers treat the public like idiots and will tell them anything.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i agree with your last comment completely, Isitme.
      surely it must ring an alarm bell thet if 2 house are on the same service (up to 20mps), that were getting sync speeds of around 16mps, using different equpiment, can now only get 50% max of that speed? it must mean that something has changed? it may well not be sky. i am inclined to think it is a BT issue, but getting them to listen, to take note of what sky have said as well as me (a copper wire problem near the customer premises (eg, an impaired drop wire) is causing rate and /or stabilty issues and drop outs) instead of poo-pooing it off is all but impossible. companies are fine whilst taking money but dont want to do what they should when things go 'belly-up'! the attitude now is 'the customer is always wrong and always moaning'. i certainly wouldn't complain if there wasn't something wrong. i just want the things i am paying for to work correctly!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

As Tom has stated. each individual telephone line will have it's own individual connection all the way back to the telephone exchange.

However, it is also valid to state that a collection of lines (up to 10 in one cable) will share the same trunking.

It is therefore likely that if you and your neighbour have a similar issue related to the wiring, then it is likely to be in the trunk cabling between the telegraph pole and the telephone exchange.

At the same time, it is not improbable that the individual wiring from the pole to your homes could be at fault.

My logic behind this: The wiring would have been installed at the same time and will share a similar route all the way to the LLU equipment in the telephone exchange.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast