Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

service deteriorated drastically

This is a discussion on service deteriorated drastically within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Lets us know how you get on...

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: service deteriorated drastically

Lets us know how you get on
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. Advertisement
      kevpc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

left computer on all night with just router status page on screen. checked each piece of electrical equipment as it was turned off (sky+ box [not connected to phone line anyway], t.v., lights both off and on, tv upstairs) no change to router at all. went to bed at 00:20. checked this morning at 08:20 and router speeds down to 12.8mps, snr up to 11db and upstream dropped to 500kbps, snr up to 21db. really dont understand this. seems to be happening overnight but cant say when. no where i can see in the router that says how long connection was up, so cant calculate when it happened. phoned sky again, they reset the line so downstream back to 15.2mps, snr at 9db and upstream back to 1100kbps, snr at 21db. more crc errors showing now 840 in 5 hours. they have booked a BT engineer for tomorrow. got BT to check my phone line and they say no faults, although heard some crackling when talking to sky. dont understand what happens or why it happens overnight when nothing being used. after all, we are asleep and last night was first night i have left computer on for ages. neighbours each side go to bed much earlier, so cant be them. tried 'routerstats lite too. it has my router in the list, but gives an error and cant connect to it. at a complete loss atm. sky keep telling me my line wont support the speed but was fine for months at 16.4mps. they want to keep reducing the speed but that isn't solving the problem. at this rate, i'll be paying for 'super fast broadband' but using dial-up!
      Last edited by kevpc; 21-03-11 at 02:53 PM. Reason: txt

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Router Stats lite will show when your connection dropped. If you were using a Sky router you could also calculate it by looking at the WAN uptime in the router stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

tnx, Isitme. appreciate what you are saying. been too busy to change the router today. gonna see what BT comes up with tomorrow. will post back with the outcome. only change since sky did the line again this morning is the snr has dropped from 9db to 8db and crc still creeping up (980 now). what is puzzling me is the time of the speed drop. why happen when everything is turned off (except router, of course) and we are asleep?
      with routerstats lite, i get the error message stated above. the red line stays at 0.

Thanks

If you are only getting the drop during the night when you are not using it, yours may be one of the few cases where your router should be switched off at night. It would then resync at its best speed when you switched it on in the morning.

It does not matter that you are not using it when it drops, if the line is open it will be subject to interference. If the router is switched off, it obviously will not be effected by the interference

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

anything to make me out a liar, Isitme. 7pm the router stopped completely. had to do a manual reboot, then restart the computer to get back on internet. just after this happened, sky phoned, could see what i was synced at, did a different fault test and told me this. quote:
      a copper wire problem near the customer premises (eg, an impaired drop wire) is causing rate and /or stabilty issue and drop outs
      atm downstrean is 12.8mps, snr is 11db, upstream is 500kbps, snr 16db. then had a second call from sky and told him what had happened. got to wait now till BT been. will post back.

Thanks

anything to make me out a liar, Isitme. 7pm the router stopped completely.
      That's the way of things, isn't it. Let's hope they find a fault and get your connection fixed properly.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

this was my post this morning. unable to post at that time because internet was disconnected:
      BT here atm. not found anything in or near the house. no spare lines from nearest cabinet to my house but going to change line from exchange to that cabinet. whether that wil cure things, will have to wait and see. after he had reset the line here, router resync at 16.3mps, snr 7.5db, as it should be. i bet it dont stay like it though and by tomorrow night/thursday morning will have dropped. time will tell. he reakons that the sync speed will continuously vary as well, which i didn't think should happen. also reckons that speed drops from 16 to 11 mps are acceptable. said that wasn't to me. even if it were, still doesn't alter the fact that the speed never increase again unless a reset is done. just hoping the line connection change will cure things. will post back.
      before engineer left he told me that all was within BT parameters, but 2 of my line readings were at the very outer limits. after changing me to a new line as stated above, my downstream sync speed is 14.1mps, snr 7db, upstream at 1100kbps, snr 26db. this line will not support faster. been asked to monitor things for a couple of days to see what happens. not very pleased at the speed drop, really. still doesn't answer why my original line wont support 16.4mps for me (even though his meter says it will) as it always has done or what has caused the change, especially when i was still getting the drop outs when line set to as low as 14mps as this new line is. overcoming the problem is not the same as finding the cause and correcting it. will post later how things go. as a small update my downstream snr has fallen to 5db and have 270crc errors after approx 12 hours of uptime (now 23:00)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Sounds like he's used to working in an area where the cable quality is poor.

If my connection dropped from 16Mb to 11Mb I know that the phone would be connecting to Sky ASAP. They in turn would be calling out BTO until it was repaired.

If I read it right, then everyone else in your area will be sold the same story when the lines are at fault.

At least your is now resolved.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just started machine and checked things. downstream speed stayed at 14.1mps, snr at 6.5db overnight (computer off), no change to upstream. crc up to 525 now, fec 1,900,000. i guess if things stay like this, i will have to put up with the lower speeds. doesn't explain what happened to keep kicking my old line out or why it wont sync even at 14mps, even though BT equipment still shows that line is capable of 16.4mps. not the sharpest knife in the box, but like to have answers, especially when a change has been detrimental to me. sky supposed to phone me tomorrow from shepton mallet?, i think. dont know why specifically from there. will post later.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast