Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

service deteriorated drastically

This is a discussion on service deteriorated drastically within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; yes. the doc2 is after the line had reset. prior, it was at 15.1mps, set by sky at 8pm. my ...

kevpc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: service deteriorated drastically

yes. the doc2 is after the line had reset. prior, it was at 15.1mps, set by sky at 8pm. my snr is normally 7.0 as can be seen from doc3, again after sky reset line this morning. that is how it hadbeen for months, prior to the line 'spike'. still waiting for the speed to drop today. never happens when you want it to. been told to ring them as soon as it does.

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Guessing by what you are saying that the noise spike doesn't always happen at the same time of day then.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is something strange happening with your connection, the upstream noise margin is lower with the higher speed, which it should not be. I don't really understand the figure shown for CRC errors, I did not think it possible to get negative CRC errors.

Can you take the Dlink off and try the stats with the Sky router. This may not sync as fast, but it will show the attenuation figure as well as the other stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is something strange happening with your connection, the upstream noise margin is lower with the higher speed, which it should not be. I don't really understand the figure shown for CRC errors, I did not think it possible to get negative CRC errors.

Can you take the Dlink off and try the stats with the Sky router. This may not sync as fast, but it will show the attenuation figure as well as the other stats.
      Never heard of negative CRC's either unless its positive ones and that particular firmware version has a bug
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

as far as i know the 'spike' was only the once, on the 14th-15th of February. what is causing the fluctuations now, i have no clue. still waiting for the speed to drop today since sky reset it this morning. anything to make you out a liar, eh? ha ha. trouble is, it could drop tomorrow or the day after, then it will keep playing up. i wondered if sky itself was throttling me, but if they are, i dont know why. it certainly couldn't be because of the amount i download/upload. only 3-4gig max down/month and 250meg up/month. hardly setting things alight, really.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well, i was right and the line reset. trouble was that i didn't see it happen (was watching t.v.). anyway, as instructed, i phoned sky only to find that tier1 support was available, not, as i had been told in the morning, that higher support would be. downstream dropped to 13.8mps, snr increased to11db, crc errors increased to around 850 over about 4 hour period. upstream dropped to 650ish kbps, snr 24db. phoned sky this morning but they have no idea what is causing the change. now been dropped to 15.5mps downstream from original 16.4mps, snr 9db, upstream as before at 1105kbps, snr 24db. snr keeps now changing between 9 and 7db downstream, but downstream speed still at 15.5mps. waiting to see when this changes again as still convinced it will. problem is that because BT engineer got 'green lights' for all tests, no one seems to be able to suggest what the problem, what kicks in to trigger the speed drop or how to check for the issue. however, i am now stuck with a lower speed, through no fault of my own. very annoying!

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you look at the WAN uptime and then minus it from the current time it will tell you when it happened.

REIN would be my guess as it would explain random noise spikes. see my signature for more info.

Does it happen when street lights come on or go off?

CRC errors wil affect the SNR the more errors the more the SNR will drop.

Agree with isitme about trying the sky router.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

did try a sky router as i said previously, but was told to put my router back in as sync speeds etc were worse (immediate drop to 13mps downstream). can try another sky router though. the reason i use my own is the really poor wireless signal. i live in a 1970's built 2 floor semi detached house. built from just brick and breeze block, no solid walls. wife couldn't even connect her laptop upstairs. no problem with the d-link. have always set that to 'super g with dynamic turbo' dont know if changing that setting to use the standard one would make things worse or not.
      i assume the REIN is interference from the phone? is that right? i didn't see the BT engineer do it, but there is an extra plug hanging out the bottom of the master socket. could that be an extra filter of some sort? when i took the face plate off to do a sky requested check in the test socket (for the umpteenth time, there was no difference to plugging in the front connection) this little box is wired in, not plugged it. only has BT on it, no other writting and no plug holes. hopefully, gonna get the line checked again tomorrow by a BT mate. see what he finds.
      forgot to add that the downstream snr has dropped to 6.5db atm. downstream speed still the same. crc errors at 108 since phone call to sky this morning.
      street light coming on doesn't seem to interfere, nor does my boiler (on a timer). nothing else in the house on a timer and no new equipment either.
      Last edited by kevpc; 20-03-11 at 08:31 PM. Reason: txt

Exchange:
      Thanks

REIN is unlikely to be cause by the phone unless its an issue with the PSU of the cordless base station.

Click on the link to see more on REIN more likely a dodgy PSU in the house or a neighbours.

The reason you were asked to use the sky router was because of the ability to post more detailed stats.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

have downloaded the router stats lite so will give it a go. no change so far in speed but snr dropped to 6. been there for some time now. crc now up to 200. took 12 hours to get to that number. dont know if that is good or bad?
      if i get chance tomorrow will try another router. just dont want to upset things if they continue to work, even if at a lower downstream speed.
      mate coming tomorrow hopefully to test line again. see if he picks up any problems as phone sometimes a bit crackly. no report from previous engineer about that tho. will post what happens over night, if anything when i check in the morning.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast