Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Download Speed Help

This is a discussion on Download Speed Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, For at least the past few months Ive been receving ridiculosly slow internet speeds with my Sky Connect package ...

Stevenson0 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Download Speed Help

Hi,

For at least the past few months Ive been receving ridiculosly slow internet speeds with my Sky Connect package and would appreciate some help on fixing this problem.

I have run countless speed tests and my downoad speed has varied from 0.10mb/s to 1mb during peak time and 0.3mb/s to 3 off-peak, mostly staying between 0.3 and 1mb but rarely jumping to 2~3mb.

My Router statistics are as follows:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions TxB/S RxB/S Uptime
      WAN PPPoA 76168 79585 0 1427 8184 02:32:42
      LAN 100M/Full 6319 0 0 187 0 02:33:03
      WLAN 11M/54M 85561 88089 0 8427 1718 02:32:51

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      ConnectionSpeed 8128kbps 448kbps
      LineAttenuation 23db 12db
      Noise Margin 8db 24db

I dont know what most of this means but I do know is my download speed has never been that high since Ive been with sky, and when downloading files my download is never more than 200kbps and truthfully averages at around 60-100kbps. Just yesterday it took me 3 hours to load a 40minute episode of a tv show. What I have noticed is that my upload speed stays between 0.3-0.4mb/s so the upsream in the above table seems accurate.

I am not blaming Sky broadband for this, but felt this would be a good place to look for some answers, and I can provide any other info needed to fix this problem. Any advice would be much appretiated, thanks.

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Download Speed Help

The issue is the package that you are on

You are probably suffering from the over utilization of traffic management.

Your best bet would be to check samknows for an ISP with LLU in your exchange.

If you were on an LLU product you would likely receive 16-18Mb

Basically the attenuation is your distance to the exchange

Noise margin is a signal to noise ratio given as a margin. The higher the noise margin above 7db the more room for speed improvement
      The 7db noise margin is based on sky policy and is not always the same for all providers.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Download Speed Help

I have run countless speed tests and my downoad speed has varied from 0.10mb/s to 1mb during peak time and 0.3mb/s to 3 off-peak, mostly staying between 0.3 and 1mb but rarely jumping to 2~3mb.
      With your sync speed you should be getting 6-7Mb off peak and anything from1Kb upwards during the peak time. It looks like your Profile may be stuck. To check this do a BT performance test by going to this site and putting in your phone number. Post the result here.
      Test Result

Have a look around the forum for Connect problems, this one is a good start
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.