Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Moving problems

This is a discussion on Moving problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure why we don't support it. The ability to set a line to Fastpath exists its just that its ...

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Moving problems

Not sure why we don't support it.

The ability to set a line to Fastpath exists its just that its a sackable offence.

It only exists if you are on a DSLAM/Stinger
      Last edited by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers; 19-03-11 at 02:11 AM. Reason: More accurate info
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. Advertisement
      tywyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burry Port
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Seems ridiculous really considering the technology is available.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Heard before that its something to do with how it is connected in the exchange.

Can't say that is the actual reason as it was more speculation that anything.

Personally think its because their target market is not gamers.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are loosing 15% to overheads which is at the high end, but it may not be all line overheads, it could be your software. Start in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speed test here - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester that will show whether your AV or firewall etc, is slowing you down.

Fast path does not use the same error checking as Interleave and can lead to lots of problems on a poor line. I expect as Sky realised that most of their lines would be poor, banning it altogether would be the best option. The OPs line is very good and could probably run Fast path quite easily, but Sky's all for one policy means they will not use it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tywyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burry Port
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice Isitme, I ran the tests in both normal and safe mode with networking and they were virtually identical getting 17mb d/l and 0.93mb u/l. It must be the overheads as you say.

I tried my Thomson 585, new filters and telephone & ethernet cable and it was slightly slower.
      Last edited by tywyn; 19-03-11 at 04:55 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You are loosing 15% to overheads which is at the high end, but it may not be all line overheads, it could be your software. Start in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speed test here - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester that will show whether your AV or firewall etc, is slowing you down.

Fast path does not use the same error checking as Interleave and can lead to lots of problems on a poor line. I expect as Sky realised that most of their lines would be poor, banning it altogether would be the best option. The OPs line is very good and could probably run Fast path quite easily, but Sky's all for one policy means they will not use it.
      Never really understood the one size fits all policy though. its not like they don't have the ability to change it.

If it is causing issues then people can just call back to have it removed.

Looking like it is just overheads causing the problem then.

You could try using TCP/IP optimiser to see if there is any improvement link can be found in isitmes signature.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123