Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection problems Tier 3

This is a discussion on Connection problems Tier 3 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Sky has been working fine for years, about 2 years ago I installed a new DLINK router so I ...

kazz0817 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connection problems Tier 3

My Sky has been working fine for years, about 2 years ago I installed a new DLINK router so I could play more than 1 XBOX in the home. All has been fantastic, I know Sky get bad press, but credit where its due, they have been great for me. However I am having intermittent dropouts, and after talking to both Tier 1 and Tier 3, am unable to fix it!! Tier 3 said my line tests 100% fine, I have a Sky MAX Unlimited account but due to my area, can only get 8 - 10mb connection, which although slowish, is perfect for all my needs.

My internet connection (and wireless) works flawlessly, at full speed for about 4 hours, then it cuts out, sometimes it boots itself back up within 5 minutes, other times I need to reboot the router. I have been sent a new Sky Router (off topic but do these allow 2 XBOX to play on one router??) I tested this for a day, and it is still dropping. My cables are all snug, I am always in master socket, and have tested engineering socket. Same results, but my line is flawless according to Tier 3. They said they have run tests on the line and cleared it, whatever that means, and to see how I get on, this was an hour ago so no solid results yet, but can anything else be causing this?? I have a lot of devices running on router, could it simply be getting bogged down? Most of these devices are always off, but still connected. My PC and Laptop are on 24/7 and XBOX is on a lot. But other devices like Media Server/Phones/iPods/PS3/XBOX#2 are usually off.

Anything else that could cause this? I have sent the router to my sister to test it there this morning, not sure how I get statistic report from DLINK, but am at a loss now.

Sky told me the final step would be to take it to BT level, by calling them back if things persist in a week or two.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Connection problems Tier 3

First step is use the Sky router - no drop outs and you know the non-Sky router is at fault

And for the last time - THERE IS NO TIER 3 ANY MORE AND HASN'T BEEN FOR OVER 2 YEARS!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

It is called CST these days and i think IWNTE used to be in it.

They might have ran a line test on the BT circuit and it came back with line loss within acceptable limits.

I haven't ran many of them but have never seen it saying anything other than acceptable limits.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Indeed I was, I started in Tier 3 before we got merged with Tier 2 to form CST
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

What was the point of the merger anyway?
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

From what I remember, Tier 2 was like a clearing area, sending Connect problems one way and LLU to Tier3. Things worked better then I think. No doubt the reason was financial.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      From what I remember, Tier 2 was like a clearing area, sending Connect problems one way and LLU to Tier3. Things worked better then I think. No doubt the reason was financial.
      Isn't it always.

think your right about the sagem routers as well since there really isn't another valid reason for it.