Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Expecting 10-20Mb, Router set to 2607kbps after DLM!

This is a discussion on Expecting 10-20Mb, Router set to 2607kbps after DLM! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, My line was activated on March 2. As I have seen with other forum posts, DLM did not ...

shelduck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Expecting 10-20Mb, Router set to 2607kbps after DLM!

Hi All,

My line was activated on March 2. As I have seen with other forum posts, DLM did not kick in straight away. I did not see the these other reports about DLM at the time, and put the problem down to my housemates plugging the Sky microfilter into our already filtered faceplate (I was out of the country unfortunately and they are of a less technical persuasion than me).

So in then end we were finally connected on my return on March 4 when I fixed the filter issue - I hope this delay hasn't messed things up...

Originally, for the following few days, I was getting the following down stats (can't remember the upload):

4095kbps
      ~17db line attenuation (SamKnows reckons I'm 581m from the exchange)
      ~20db noise ratio

I was expecting good things from DLM based on the above, and I must point out that things seemed very stable at this point too. But this is when I noticed that DLM didn't seem to be happening. MySky portal mentioned nothing of line testing either. I sent Sky a message through their web form asking for DLM to start, and whilst I didn't receive a human reply, DLM did seem to begin, somewhere around the 9th March (MySky portal updated saying testing was in progress).

But then all DLM does is seem to sync my line to around the 3000kbps mark. After this, there were few (maybe no) nightly syncs (according to my router's WAN uptime), but the line attenuation kepting increasing and the SNR decreasing.

Finally, last night around 10pm it resynced around 1700kbps and terrible line attenuation and SNR. MySky portal now says testing is completed, so I rebooted the router this morning to get a resync and now I have:

2607 kbps down
      52dB line attenuation!
      6.6 SNR!

252 kbps up
      16.3dB line attenuation
      9.5dB SNR

The MySky portal states I should be expecting 10 - 20Mb (which based on my pre-DLM stats I think is pretty reasonable, probably 15+ too), but the line testing result says the line has been set to 3072/800kb.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

(I'll also add that I have one of these new sagem routers that sorta have wireless N)
      Last edited by shelduck; 15-03-11 at 01:28 PM. Reason: adding my new router info

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Expecting 10-20Mb, Router set to 2607kbps after DLM!

Either the router is faulty, which wouldn't be a surprise, or your line has developed a very bad fault.

Just to check, uplug everything you have plugged into the phone line, plug in one filter and the router into your master socket and take your stats.

Do you have another router you can try?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

For a change in attenuation like that, you've either got a big wiring issue or an external line issue.

- Are you running the short grey dsl cable that Sky supplied from the filtered faceplate to the router, or are you using an extension cable?
      - Any noise or issues at all on the landline telephone?
      - Try plugging into the test socket with a filter, short grey dsl cable to the router and re-post the stats up from there.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Woah thanks for the fast response guys. In my rather long first post I forgot to mention I'm at work at the moment, so it will have to wait until this evening.

I understand that this new router I have is a very new model - teething troubles perhaps? I'm afraid I don't have another router to try ( I have another router, but I don't have the login details for it - landlord locked it down and communicating with him is SLOW - I've been trying to get him to get a MAC code from the previous ISP since oct/nov time last year and he finally came through in feb)

I *think* I have the short sky cable between the router and faceplate. I'll check tonight. The wiring is a little funky, with the voice cables split 3 ways and piggybacked onto the ethernet cables that run to each bedroom ( whilst it sounds and looks messy, I made sure to disconnect this set up this morning, and it made no noticeable difference)

All of this is in an overhead cubbyhole, so its not like anyone has knocked it at some point. The degradation in my stats has been a gradual thing (I've been checking every day and each day attenuation increased, SNR decreased). The cabling set up is identical to the start when I had the good stats.

And I'll make sure to try the test socket instead tonight. How long can I leave it in the test socket - minutes/hours/days?

So I just press 1 to check for noise on the line right? I'm in a block of flats and have to press 9 to get an outside line. Does that mean I press 91?

Cheers for the help

Thanks

I'm in a block of flats and have to press 9 to get an outside line
      That is bad news. Broadband for flat dwellers is always difficult to sort out, but the fact that you have to dial a number to get an outside line makes it even worse. It looks like you are on some sort of PBX system, in which case I am a bit surprised you have even managed to get broadband connected..

If pressing 9 puts you on to an outside line, then that is all you will need. You could see if you can get on the BT quiet line test, which in your case would be 917070 option 2.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I'll double check. We don't actually bother using the landline to make calls, so I might be getting confused with my work phone

I did get a letter the other day saying that Sky Talk had stalled because BT has informed them that either we have call blocking or BT Basic on the line which was incompatible with Sky Talk. Could that in fact be an issue with being in a flat? The number to check which call blocking is enabled on the line didn't work. (Though I might open another thread, I want to stay on topic)

But we've always had broadband. I moved in last summer, but we always had an (admittedly rubbish) Eclipse service. When I originally rang to get a MAC code from them to port over to Sky, they said that we were on some old legacy product, which I assumed explained the rubbish speeds we got (most of the time around 0.4Mb, but got around 2.4Mb towards the end according to speedtest.net - I never had access to router stats).

My big confusion is why the stats were good around a week ago at the start, but have become terrible now.

Thanks

I might be getting confused with my work phone
      I think you might be

BT Basic is only available to some on benefit, if you are not, you will not have it. Maybe I am becoming cynical but BT seem to put every barrier possible in the way of users who want to move away from them. If it is call blocking you should be able to get it off.

With regards your attenuation, refer to post 3.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

So now I'm really confused.

I come home from work to find the downstream rate around
      ~1700kbps,
      50dB line attenuation
      6.6 SNR

I unplugged everything, tried just the router with microfilter straight into the master socket. This didn't affect the stats, so I replaced the faceplate.

I tried the landline, calling 9 17070 to run the quiet line test. Seemed fine to me. No clicks or whistles.

I then go potter around the flat, grab some food, only to come back and find that the results are now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3069 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5 dB 15.9 dB
      Noise Margin 19.1 dB 14.0 dB

Not sure what happened. The line attentuation down might be a bit high from what I remember when it was good, though as I was recalling things from memory it might be back to normal.

So, assuming this remains stable, how to I get above the 3069 limit that DLM has set?

Cheers

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You need to have it uncapped by Sky, but if you've previously had a downstream attenuation of 17dB, and it's intermittently changing, then I wouldn't hold my breath on the line being stable/'fixed' after being uncapped.

Are you positive that the test socket results don't affect the stats? If so, call Sky on 08442410515 and state that your speed is slow. If the fault still occurs after reprofiling the line, then you're looking at a replacement router or broadband engineer. Probably the latter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So I have a result it seems.

After having a rejig with the wires and playing with the master socket, I've decided that:
      A) One of the sky microfilters is faulty (which gave me poor stats when testing the master socket). The second microfilter gave expected results.
      B) The ADSL faceplate might not have been seated very well originally (or there was another issue that has magically been resolved).

The fact that I had 2 problems just conflated things.

So I called Mr Sky, and he uncapped me. There was a minor issue that I'm not the account holder (the landlord is), but I persuaded him that as I was ringing from the line in question, no account details were needed. During the call he bumped me up to:
      16130kbps down,
      27dB attenuation
      7.1dB SNR

...which I'm happy with. Can't remember the upstream rates, a bit over 900kbps IIRC (I'm at work now).

I'll make sure things seem stable this evening. Thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast