Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My poor speed is from too many connections?

This is a discussion on My poor speed is from too many connections? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I switched to Sky from BT a little less than a month ago. We were on the BT Vision ...

Bozo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02891
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy My poor speed is from too many connections?

Hi,

I switched to Sky from BT a little less than a month ago. We were on the BT Vision top package but it was proving just stupidly expensive and so we switched to a Sky package that included the Sky Connect broadband service.

Since the day and hour we changed to Sky my speed has dropped from around 6Mb to less than 1Mb on average.

I have one main telephone connection into the house. The Sky router is plugged into this along with one telephone on a filter. An XBOX 360 is connected via ethernet cable to the router and one PC is connected via two Comtrend adapters which plug into the wall power sockets and create a network using the electrical wiring. There are no other computers or devices in the house using the connection. This is the setup that I have used with BT for just over a year and which has been consistently reliable in terms of speed.

I waited for another week after the 10 day 'settling in' period had finished before starting to try and improve the speed. I replaced the filters with new ones, moved the PC downstairs and plugged it directly into the router, disconnected the 360, swapped the Sky router for the BT one and for a spare NETGEAR one I had from a couple of years back and the tests still showed a speed of (sometimes considerably) less than 2Mb.

I phoned Sky customer support and spent about an hour on the phone with them while they talked me through the steps they needed me to try. After we had tried everything the advisor could think of, she told me to run netstat and see how many connections I had. I was actually surprised to see I had at least 30 or 40 entries, most of which were TCP connections. I ran netstat -b and looked up the IP address using Geektools to see that 99% of the connections were from Firefox to Google, even though Firefox wasn't open at the time.

The advisor told me that it was my PC's problem and that I must have viruses or spyware. I assured her that I had only just finished running full checks with Panda's online scanner, Trend Micro's online scanner, Avast, AVG, McAfee, the retail version of Malwarebytes, Spybot and Ad-Aware, but she couldn't be shifted from her 'You have a virus' assessment.

My router is showing downstream speeds fairly regularly above 5Mb, but I haven't seen speeds even half as fast. I have been running a live bandwidth monitor all evening and it has never shown speeds above 1Mb. I am absolutely tearing my hair out with this and I can't think of anything else to try. I have gone from streaming full resolution TV programmes from BT Vision with absolutely no problems one week to not being able to watch even a tiny YouTube video the next week!

I have posted the stats from my router as it stands currently. I would very, VERY much appreciate any advice you folks can give!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5664 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.5db 20.5db
      Noise Margin 11.1db 20.0db

2. Advertisement
      buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My poor speed is from too many connections?

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
      the Sky Connect broadband service.
      There's your problem

Your router stats are fine. Check speedtester.bt.com and see if you can find out your line profile, chances are it's very low but should go up a bit during the 10 days.

I can say with some certainty that it will never be as good as the service you had with BT though.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you had come to this forum before signing up to Connect, you would never have done so. Put Connect in the search bar of the forum and you will see what I mean.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Bozo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02891
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm beginning to get the idea about Connect. *sigh*

I'm almost two weeks outside the 10 day bedding in period and the speeds are just woeful. I don't P2P and I don't stream constantly but I'd like to be able to watch a movie trailer without having to leave it buffering for 10 minutes or play an online game without rubberbanding about all over the show :/

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would not agree that your stats are OK. With your attenuation and a good line you should be able to sync at pretty near the full 8Mb which you must have done before. That would give you a Profile of 7Mb and a throughput of 6-7Mb. Power cycle your router a couple of times by switching off the power for a minute then back on again. See if this raises your sync speed. Also check that the filter is the first thing plugged into the phone socket and any extensions, Sky box etc, are plugged into the filter.

Even if you do manage to get your sync speed up, that is not going to help with the severe throttling during the peak period. The best thing to do is take a series of speed tests using the official BT speedtester, within and without the peak period. You can use this to back up your claim that the Connect service is not fit for purpose when you decide to leave during your contract.

With regards Netstat, this is a red herring and has little to do with your problems. I have noticed that Firefox often holds on to connections after it is closed. The best thing to do with this is to bring up the Task Manager, click the Processes tab and end all instances of Firefox. Although you were showing 30-40 connections many of these would be in a 'Wait' stage, not Established.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.