Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ISPs agree voluntary code of practice on traffic management

This is a discussion on ISPs agree voluntary code of practice on traffic management within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This should be some help for the connect package Customers. thinkbroadband :: ISPs agree voluntary code of practice on traffic ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: ISPs agree voluntary code of practice on traffic management

I doubt if it will "Help" Connect customers at all, only additional bandwidth being purchased will help them. All it will do is mean ISPs have to think up new ways of hiding what is going on since they will have to admit to peak time throttling now.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Actually the way I see that being described it doesn't cover contention, throttling or any other type of bandwidth reduction.

This will cover how packets are managed so it will have to describe how p2p is managed, VPN protocols, if deep packet inspection is used etc.

Also Sky can say that connect is a rebadged BT product so they list the BT table and still claim that Sky doesn't use any traffic management systems.

This doesn't change anything the way I see it, the packages won't change each ISP can do their own thing regarding traffic management, all they have to do is put it on a table somewhere.

The only thing that I can see that it is useful for that if an ISP wants to put traffic mangement systems in place and tries to hide it in the small print as O2 did last year with their new packages it would have to do so now in a place where people can find it.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I have a question for you all to contemplate:

Why is it necessary to still have Traffic Management?

Surely it should now be possible to upgrade the backhaul between all the telephone exchanges to be able to cope with the ever increasing demands to an extent where so-called peak-time restrictions are no longer required.

Sky LLU services experienced problems at the beginning of this year in some parts of the country. It appears that these have have been resolved.

With FTTC being rolled out across the country, these demands are going to increase hugely.

I doubt if anyone is going to enjoy having dial-up speeds in the evening on their FTTC connection because someone has throttled it back because of traffic management.

So why can they not do the same for all the other BB products?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

currently there is an awful lot of truly low priority packets, mainly p2p applications that are file sharing non time sensitive files for use at a later date.

Now the higher priority packets such as VOIP, live streaming of video (iPlayer etc), games etc need to get to where they are going as fast as they can.

Now people bang on about "net neutralitty" and all packets should be treated equal but the truth of the matter is that is low priority traffic could possibly swamp the time sensitive packets and the internet could possibly become unusable for a lot of applications.

As you say you could put more backhaul in which Sky is doing in this part of their expansion but upgrading the whole UK backhaul so people can max out their connections on p2p would be insanely expensive (it is going to be bad enough upgrading everything to IPv6 let alone putting more in)

The other way is for ISP's to see what packets are travelling across the network and at "busy" times make the time sensitive packets top priority. Lots of ISPs do this and although BT is hammered on lots of forums for it's "draconian" policy.
      I have been on BT now for 3 months and as I don't use p2p I have never seen a peak time slowdown, my browsing is fast my gaming is perfect and my VOIP is crystal clear so for me whatever BT is doing is good for me.

Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of traffic management I would prefer to go back 10 years and just have my unrestricted pipe back into the house but we have long gone past that stage.

The UK is the 2nd cheapest place in the world for broadband and I can't see too many people wanting to go back to the pricing that we had 10 years ago when a 1meg connection cost 40 a month just so traffic management can be dropped.

O2 has had to implement traffic shaping last year for their new packages and Virgin has traffic management AND throttling in place on their packages.

Sky in the future may have to consider something similar especially there comes a point when expansion stops and they need to maximise income per connection.

And just because Sky doesn't traffic shape it doesn't mean your packet fron the USA or whereever is immune, it may have gone through several networks where it has been subject to it, it will just not be stopped when it hits the easynet network.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Being with Plus Net for 7 years before switching to Sky LLU, they always had a very open and honest approach to traffic management. Although if you wanted the 'clean unrestricted' products; their 'Pro' package, you had to pay a premium for it (it costs you more per month and you got a lower monthly usage allowance, 20Gb).

Are people willing to pay more per month and sacrifice usage allowance to have a clean unmanaged product?

If you have access to LLU in your exchange then I suspect not.

BT are actually already struggling to get significant numbers of users to sign up for their FTTC products, mostly because they currently only offer FTTC in market 2 + market 3 exchange areas where there is already a high presence of LLU and/or cable in those areas. After all having being on LLU, who would go back to a BT wholesale product, I know I wouldn't!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      BT are actually already struggling to get significant numbers of users to sign up for their FTTC products, mostly because they currently only offer FTTC in market 2 + market 3 exchange areas where there is already a high presence of LLU and/or cable in those areas. After all having being on LLU, who would go back to a BT wholesale product, I know I wouldn't!!
      Sorry, this isn't 100% true.

I was looking at an exchange for a member in Northern Ireland only last week. It was a Market 1 exchange with FTTC.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think NI is an exception, they already have almost 100% coverage by Cable and will probably be the first Region to have 100% FTTC coverage. Market 1 exchanges are all small with little financial incentive to encourage investment. Before all the M 1 users jump in, I am not saying this is right, it is just a fact of life. Just the same asTesco are not going to build a superstore in Glen Coe, simply because the return would not justify the capital investment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Maybe me being Naive. Lets hope it becomes useful to someone.
      Tom Glen Coe. does it still have the small viking ship in the little pool next to the hotel. One of the most beautiful and historic places in Scotland that I have had the pleasure to see.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I couldn't say Steve, I think it is about 20 years since I was through Glen Coe, but as you say, it is a stunning place to be.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.