Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Serious help needed :-(

This is a discussion on Serious help needed :-( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Obviously i am new here so i am sorry if this post contains too much or too little ...

Jayrussell88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Serious help needed :-(

Hi guys,

Obviously i am new here so i am sorry if this post contains too much or too little information, i am seeing this as a last resort because usually im not an idiot when it coms to these things.

I have recently moved out of my parents place where we had sky. I set up the home broadband without a problem and really thought the service they offered was good so i decided i would also get Sky broadband and home phone in this new place.

Ok so it satarted out a bit rubbish having to wait 2 whole months before an openreach engineer came out to sort the line...then on the 8th of this month my broadband was activated. I was suprised upon opening the box to find a new router (sagem F@st2304( rather than the other d-link router i had.

So activation day comes...all seems ok, apart from the speed wasnt as fast as i thought it was going to be....i want even hitting a meg which i found very stange. I put this down to the fact it was a new conneection and would probably improve within a few days...SO the day after comes and we start experiencing the internet just cutting off randomly...of course this was frustrating, so i picked up the phone to call sky...BAM dead line. completely.

The guy on the phone was very good, he ran his tests and explained what was happening. Friday we had the open reach engineer out again to fix it all...

So it seemed sorted, so i was chuffed.

HOWEVER

It seems the cutting out thing is still happening. At first it just appeared to be whenever i downloaded anything. I tried to download itunes...got about 15% into the download and that was it....bam, dead internet....the little @ sign on the router dissapeared and would result in a restart.

Its been pretty constant like that. Every time i attempt to download ANYTHING it just kills it completely...

At the same time, it seems since last night, its not just the downloads now...whenever i try and have the xbox and the web surfing going at the same time....give it about 10 mins and it will die....a router restart will be required.

This is increasingly frustrating, one of the worst experiences i have ever had with an ISP....i phoned sky yeserday and explained all this however this time i got through to some numpty who cleary didint know what she was doing and all that has resulted in is sky sending me a new router...

I got my mates laptop round last night to test....exactly the same problem, so i dont think its to do with my laptop.

I must inform you this is happening both wirelessly and plugged in...

have you guys got ANY idea at all?

I feel completely useless and defeated by a stupid littly black box and a wire.

I have tried to figure out how to do a firmware update...no idea, cant find the option to do it on the router and the sagem website doesnt even list this router model,,,,infact i cant find any inforation about this router at all

please help??? pretty please??

If you guys need any information from me, let me know. I'll post it up on here

2. Advertisement
      Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Re: Serious help needed :-(

You haven't mentioned your set up. Are you directly into the master socket via a microfilter, which is the first thing into the socket? Presumably as you know what you are doing you have changed this. Are all the other sockets in the house in use also filtered?

I don't know who you got through to but at tier one all the set up checks should be completed and if the issue is not resolved you should go to CST as they can do further checks.

You might want to try your test socket if you have one. This could simply be a faulty faceplate to be honest. Might be a good idea to post your router stats. If your speed is incorrectly configured this will also cause dropouts.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying. Below are my stats

System Up Time: 0:39:10
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 82843 154450 0 5005613 208905912 0:37:49
      LAN Up 158436 86371 0 214030809 7485418 0:39:10
      WLAN Up 1309 636 0 210755 98619 0:38:53
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10455 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 18.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.6 dB 12.5 dB
      Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

I have just plugged into the test socket and attemted to download ITunes...dead, straight away.Router
      restart was required.

My current set up looks something like this:

Laptop to router
      router to microfilter
      microfilter to phone socket

telephone also going into the microfilter

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i got through to some numpty who cleary didint know what she was doing and all that has resulted in is sky sending me a new router..
      The 'numpty' you spoke to may have known very well what she was doing. There are numerous reports of the new routers being faulty, she may just have wanted to keep you ignorant about this. Wait till the new router comes, or if you are really impatient, borrow your parents router for an hour or so and test it on your line. Any Sky router will connect on any Sky enabled line, so if it works, you know the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

If you call them this afternoon you should get through pretty quickly as Sundays are usually quiet. Leave your equipment in the test socket as its the first thing you will be asked to do.

They will check your config first, but if your int light is going out altogether you might need a line test.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The 'numpty' you spoke to may have known very well what she was doing. There are numerous reports of the new routers being faulty, she may just have wanted to keep you ignorant about this. Wait till the new router comes, or if you are really impatient, borrow your parents router for an hour or so and test it on your line. Any Sky router will connect on any Sky enabled line, so if it works, you know the problem.
      Ahh well if thats the case then thats cooll...however 45 mins of...

"ummm...hold the line plese sir i just need to speak with one of my colleagues"

didnt really scream "i know what i am doing"

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Right...

1. When you say 'laptop to router' is this wireless or wired?
      2. When you say 'dead' which lights are on the router?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Right...

1. When you say 'laptop to router' is this wireless or wired?
      2. When you say 'dead' which lights are on the router?
      Right this very second....its wireless....however the results are the same regardless of how i am conected to the router. Both Wireless and Ethernet cable.

When i am connected to the internet wirelessly, i'll usualy have 3 lights on the router.

The on light
      The light which signals the router is broadcasting
      The @ light which is green when my laptop is connected.

When i am connected to the internet via Ethernet cable...i'll have 4 light on the router...all of the above...plus a number 1, 2, 3 or 4....depending which port i have plugged the cable into.

when i download (for example) ITunes....it will kick off, stop a little of the way through the download and disconnect me from the internet. The @ light on the router will no longer be present and i will have to restart the router.

Hope this helps.

Yesterday, when i had the laptp connected via Ethernet cable, it seemed to be ok. I managed to watch a youtube video, download an update on XBOX, download firefox and itunes all at the same time...this unfortunately got my hopes up, however shotly after, it was back to disconnecting when attempting to download again...

Today seems worse then yesterday. It seems to be disconnecting even if not downloading...

So confused. I am really hoping it is just a dodgy router! A new one should be with me next week and i am really REALLy hoping that solves the problem as i work from home quite alot!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The @ light is the important one, showing connection to the Internet, but I can't see how downloading anything would cause the connection to drop. I'd say a new router is the right course of action and if this doesn't fix the issue then I don't know what would be causing it

Bizarre
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Lets hope that it is the router.

You could do as isitme said and borrow you parents to save some time, rather than waiting.

REIN is a possibility but the timeframe doesn't really fit if it only happens when you try to download.

Do you live in a house or a flat?

Are you neighbours around when this happens?

Do you have your central heating on when this happens?

hope its not REIN
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast