Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky or BT Line for Sky Unlimited?

This is a discussion on Sky or BT Line for Sky Unlimited? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi When I do get Sky Unlimited in a month or so: 1, Should I do it with a BT ...

scifipaul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: braintree essex
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky or BT Line for Sky Unlimited?

Hi
      When I do get Sky Unlimited in a month or so:

1, Should I do it with a BT or Sky line rental?

2, Can you choose to have it with a Sky or BT line rental or do you have to choose a Sky line?

3, What is the cost of the Sky phone line and what services are included in the rental

4, If you can use a BT line what would it cost for the internet and the phone line, does it work out cheaper overall to have a line wih Sky or with BT?

What is the best way to go, what are my overall options, thanks everyone I know you are knowledgeable on all of this and will have the in depth answers.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      spud_gun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: Sky or BT Line for Sky Unlimited?

Quote Originally Posted by scifipaul View Post
      Hi

1, Should I do it with a BT or Sky line rental? Totally up to you, I would go with Sky as it's cheaper than BT for the line rental and you get a fiver off the BB with a Sky Talk calls package

2, Can you choose to have it with a Sky or BT line rental or do you have to choose a Sky line? Again, which ever you prefer

3, What is the cost of the Sky phone line and what services are included in the rental Line rental is 11.25 per month, on the Freetime calls package, free calls to 01, 02 ,03 numbers between 7pm and 7am, for upto an hour, go over the hour and you then start getting charged, If you go for the unlimited package, it costs 5 per month, same as above but all day

4, If you can use a BT line what would it cost for the internet and the phone line, does it work out cheaper overall to have a line wih Sky or with BT? Depends which BB package you have, but generally cheaper with Sky

What is the best way to go, what are my overall options, thanks everyone I know you are knowledgeable on all of this and will have the in depth answers.

Thanks in advance
      5char

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

1. Stay with BT as if you wish to move ISP at some point in the future it's a real PITA as you'd first have to get the line moved back to BT. For the sake of a few it's not worth it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

As you can see, opinion is divided.

There are some issues with retaining your telephone number should you leave Sky Talk at a later date. According to published documents on the Ofcom site, this should not be the case.

Some people have reported delays with no connection for a few days/weeks in leaving Sky to go to someone else.

As for the 'few pounds' though - 5 per month = 60 per year in savings.

In terms of quality & service, I've no complaints.

The fact that I've been able to speak with a friend this morning in Scotland for just under an hour & know that there is no charge for chatting with her is nice. It helps too that my phone has both caller display & a timer on the display.

Finally, I personally had a very poor experience with BT India. I would never recommend BT to anyone after their terrible manner in dealing with problems. A friend also had some issues with BT and she too is now very happy with Sky Talk.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I suppose I don't see 60 over a year as much of an issue!!

I've had no issues with BT, only issue I did have was fixed in a day - can't fault them

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Do you want caller ID and 1571 voicemail? If you do then that could affect your choice:

Sky Line Rental + Sky Talk = free CID and 1571
      BT Line Rental + Sky Talk = BT will charge 2.70 for CID and 1 for 1571 every month
      BT Line Rental no Sky Talk = you lose 5 a month broadband discount from Sky

Swing, meet roundabout

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

I have Sky Unlimited on a BT line here.

BT do not charge for the standard 1571 service (you can choose to pay for a more advanced 1571 service though which includes things like remote access).

CallerID (BT now call this BT Privacy at Home) is now also free on BT lines too.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scifipaul View Post
      Hi

1, Should I do it with a BT or Sky line rental?

2, Can you choose to have it with a Sky or BT line rental or do you have to choose a Sky line?

3, What is the cost of the Sky phone line and what services are included in the rental

4, If you can use a BT line what would it cost for the internet and the phone line, does it work out cheaper overall to have a line wih Sky or with BT?

Thanks in advance
      I have Sky Unlimited and have calls and line rental with BT, I have Sky TV too. It costs me 12.50 per month for Sky broadband Unlimited. If you do not have Sky TV, Sky Unlimited will cost you 15 per month.

I decided to keep the calls and line rental with BT for the following reasons:

1: It is far easier to move ISP (in the future) if you have your line with BT.

2: I have heard numerous problems where people have had downtime (both phone and broadband) when they left them, when they had their line with Sky or similar ISP's that offer broadband, line rental, calls.

3: If you have calls, line rental, broadband with Sky, if the broadband goes down you lose the phone too. If you keep your line with BT, and Sky Unlimited was to go down you would still be able to use your phone has your line would be on BT's network/equipment.

4: I have also heard that a fee may be payable for BT to take the line back (but I'm not 100 percent if this is true or not). A friend of mine had to pay over 100 for BT to take the line back when he left Talk Talk.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      3: If you have calls, line rental, broadband with Sky, if the broadband goes down you lose the phone too. If you keep your line with BT, and Sky Unlimited was to go down you would still be able to use your phone has your line would be on BT's network/equipment.

4: I have also heard that a fee may be payable for BT to take the line back (but I'm not 100 percent if this is true or not). A friend of mine had to pay over 100 for BT to take the line back when he left Talk Talk.
      3 - Would really depend on the nature of the fault.

4 - I suspect that this is against the Ofcom regulations. I know if you were to go from a Cable connection back to BT then a charge could be levied. In this instance the BT line wasn't in use as Virgin use their own wiring in the street. BT used to charge for any line that has not been connected for an extended period. Their recent adverts suggest that this policy may be changing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

BT will charge to take the line back as it's as if they're fitting a new one. This is why I'm happy to stay on the BT network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast