Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky or BT Line for Sky Unlimited?

This is a discussion on Sky or BT Line for Sky Unlimited? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by James_Mitchell I have Sky Unlimited on a BT line here. BT do not charge for the standard ...

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky or BT Line for Sky Unlimited?

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      I have Sky Unlimited on a BT line here.

BT do not charge for the standard 1571 service (you can choose to pay for a more advanced 1571 service though which includes things like remote access).

CallerID (BT now call this BT Privacy at Home) is now also free on BT lines too.
      Yes, but I'm guessing you don't have SkyTalk.

Both services are free provided you make 2 calls a month through the BT network. If you add SkyTalk (to get the 5 a month discount) then it is not possible to direct calls through BT so they will charge 3.70 a month unless you ask BT to cancel them.

If you have Sky broadband but not SkyTalk then you are ok with BT but paying more to Sky. Your choice.

2. Advertisement
      ScotJohn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I was wondering the same thing, however, am confused as to what speed BB I'll get if I stick with the BT line. Will I get LLU at the local exchange that is Sky enabled if I have a BT phone line or is that only for Sky phone lines?

Digging around the web it seems with BT BB on my exchange I'd get 6Mb/s, but with sky I'd get 10-20, because it is LLU. So I'm concerned that if I had a BT phone line but took sky BB package, that I'd only get the BT speed.

Does that make sense?!

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

You can have a BT line and still have LLU sky BB unlimited.

In fact chances are you will probably get a better speed of you do it that way.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScotJohn View Post
      I was wondering the same thing, however, am confused as to what speed BB I'll get if I stick with the BT line. Will I get LLU at the local exchange that is Sky enabled if I have a BT phone line or is that only for Sky phone lines?
      I have heard that sometimes the speeds can be slightly higher with keeping the line with BT, how much truth there is in it I don't know. You certainly wouldn't get any slower speed with having your line with BT. The problem sometimes with having Sky taking over the line can be. If there is an outage on Sky's network, then chances are you'll lose, phone, broadband. If you keep the line with BT, and if Sky's network had an outage then there's a fair chance you would still be able to use your phone, as your line is with BT.

I have my phone line still with BT. My exchange is LLU enabled for Sky and I get Sky's Unlimited LLU broadband, so the answer is yes you will be able to get Sky LLU broadband on your exchange if it's been enabled for Sky LLU and you kept your phone line with BT.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There is a lot of confusion about part LLU, where you get Broadband but keep the line rental BT and full LLU where you take both phone line and Broadband with the same supplier.

If you kept with BT you could still get a LLU broadband connection with sky if your exchange has been enabled.

This comes with the added benefit that if at a later date you want to move ISP you can just ask for a MAC code and move.

Taking a phone line as well from the same supplier means if you want to move at a later date then you would have to cancel all your services and get a new BT line and then re-order broadband, which could mean a serious amount of downtime.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12