Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Virgin Media Broadband available in my area but through the telephone socket?

This is a discussion on Virgin Media Broadband available in my area but through the telephone socket? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been offered from Virgin Media their phone and broadband package but they said they can only offer me ...

geoffxxuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Virgin Media Broadband available in my area but through the telephone socket?

I have been offered from Virgin Media their phone and broadband package but they said they can only offer me it through a phone line? I'm debating whether to go with Sky or Virgin and I probably will go with Sky as it's the most cheaper option but don't want to be missing out on this? I was wondering whether anyone on here can help me with this before I can make a decision. And obviously if it is through a phone line it's not fibre-optic as I am within their "national broadband" area.

Also, are you more likely to get a higher download/upload speed with Virgin than Sky?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Virgin Media Broadband available in my area but through the telephone socket?

Sky have a great LLU service.

I have virgin media fibre which is great but unsure what there ADSL package is like.

Think the best method forward would be some research.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Virgin Media Broadband available in my area but through the telephone socket?

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Sky have a great LLU service.

I have virgin media fibre which is great but unsure what there ADSL package is like.

Think the best method forward would be some research.
      Just by looking at Virgin Media's forums.. Their national broadband service seems to be appauling by their users. This is making me stay right clear but it would be nice to see what other people think at these forums. I am aware that Sky do a great service.. Seems to be one of only a few great ISP's. I won't post a link to Virgin Media's forums on here but one of their customers was getting a download of 0.40mpbs and I find it quite shocking to say the least. Their fibre-optic network is the best around though and envious of people that can get it!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I agree with your comments about their fibre network

And with the issues about 0.40mbps have seen people get that on sky connect due to traffic management.

Have seen it on LLU before as well but that was a combination of really bad internal wiring, being 8km from the exchange and DLM kicking in.

Did have a quick look at some of their forums but not long enough to base a full opinion on.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

"I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers":

Could you have a quick look at my stats and put my mind at rest as to whether I am on ADSL or ADSL+2 please? I would really appreciate it and saves me creating another thread. ^_^ Also maximum speed please as I have already been quoted in the 12-13 meg area.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11263 kbps 902 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 15.3 db
      Noise Margin 5.1 db 8.5 db

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 309197 507557 0 0 0 9:49:22
      LAN 510521 313690 0 0 0 9:50:24
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 9:49:57

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffxxuk View Post
      "I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers":

Could you have a quick look at my stats and put my mind at rest as to whether I am on ADSL or ADSL+2 please? I would really appreciate it and saves me creating another thread. ^_^ Also maximum speed please as I have already been quoted in the 12-13 meg area.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11263 kbps 902 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 15.3 db
      Noise Margin 5.1 db 8.5 db

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 309197 507557 0 0 0 9:49:22
      LAN 510521 313690 0 0 0 9:50:24
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 9:49:57
      Your most likely on ADSL2+

ADSL usually has a max of about 8Mb although it theoretically can go to 12Mb

Your SNR is looking a bit low but that could just be a noise spike

Are you connected to the master socket or the test socket?

12-14Mb would be a fair estimate but as it stands at the minute there is no room for improvement.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Your most likely on ADSL2+

ADSL usually has a max of about 8Mb although it theoretically can go to 12Mb

Your SNR is looking a bit low but that could just be a noise spike

Are you connected to the master socket or the test socket?

12-14Mb would be a fair estimate but as it stands at the minute there is no room for improvement.
      Thank you so much for that. It helps a lot I am satisfied by those results. How did you receive your 50Mb connection?! You must be proud!! :P

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffxxuk View Post
      Thank you so much for that. It helps a lot I am satisfied by those results. How did you receive your 50Mb connection?! You must be proud!! :P
      Must admit that its great but before i moved out of my parents and got my own flat i was on BT and then on 02 no LLU so its great compared to what i have previously had.

And the fact i don't have to listen to my mum complain about her computer is more than a bonus

The old Netgear V1 DG834GT - white one used to tell you which of the two that you were on not sure if the others do

And there is a custom firmware floating about for the phase 1 that enabled you to reconfigure your own line.

If you are not currently in the test socket you could post your stats from there and we can have another look and see if there is room for improvement
      Last edited by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers; 13-03-11 at 01:59 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Virgin do not have ADSL2+ equipment in telephones exchanges, which means they are reselling a BT product, the same as Sky does with Connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Virgin do not have ADSL2+ equipment in telephones exchanges, which means they are reselling a BT product, the same as Sky does with Connect.
      Ha! Judging by what everyone on here has said about Sky Connect and all I don't think I will want to do that. I don't like the idea of being throttled or disconnected so many times in a day. My best bet is to go with Sky Unlimited I think. Thank you for everyone's replies and "Sky Awsers" I will get those results from you soon with the cable connected into the test socket so you and everyone else can re-evaluate my results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast