Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VOIP Quality Issues

This is a discussion on VOIP Quality Issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am having quality issues using VOIP (Cisco softphone solution provided by my work, connecting over VPN). The issue is ...

GaryK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

VOIP Quality Issues

I am having quality issues using VOIP (Cisco softphone solution provided by my work, connecting over VPN). The issue is that during a call, the line breaks up at times (bother when speaking and listening).

It is not software issue - it works fine when in the office and I have also tested it when connected to my neighbour's Virgin BB.

I'm wondering whether this type of issue would be caused by line errors - something that I have suffered from previously. SKy did restrict my speed to 4Mb which seemed to stop the errors. My router has the latest firmware, so I cant check the line errors myself and Sky BB support reckon that they aren't seeing any errors. I am getting a good speed (almost 4Mb) most of the time. The Level 1 support guy said that as fas as he is concerned, I am getting the speed, so there isn't a problem.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: VOIP Quality Issues

Are you using wireless to connect to the router? if so, try a wire.

Also, post your router stats:- How to get your router statistics

Exchange:
      Thanks

Working wireless - will give wired a go in the morning and see how it is.
      Here;s my stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 864 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0db 24.5db
      Noise Margin 17.1db 14.0db

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Is the connection been used for anything else when calls are taken/made?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is a good chance that wireless is causing the problem. Changing the channel on the router may help.

Have you made any attempt to find out where the interference on your line is coming from? eg, Have you plugged into the Test socket and tried a test from there? Your noise margin is ridiculously high, you should have almost double the speed you are getting.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The interference / line issues are external to the house. OpenReach have confirmed this, but are refusing to rectify due to costs invloved. As far as they are concerned, I have a BB connection (regardless of the speed / quality).
      The router is plugged directly into the test socket (this has been the case for the past 6 months!)
      Regaring the noise margin, I dont understand what the numbers mean or how to interpret them. Having said that, I can get a high speed (almost 8Mb), but as soon as I go above 4Mb, thousands upon thousands of line errors rack up as soon as the router connects. It is for this reason that Sky have limited my connection to 4Mb.

There is no other activity when I am using VOIP - telephone is not being used and no other devices are using the wireless.

I have a couple of VOIP calls scheduled for this afternoon, so I'll get my CAT5 out and coneect directly to the router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, I'm on a VOIP call right now and so far, so good (plugged into the router instead of wireless).

Obviously, being plugged into the router is not ideal, so maybe I will try changing the channel and see if that improves things. What I dont quite understand is how changing the channel can affect things. Could it be that there are other things interfering with the signal?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
      The interference / line issues are external to the house. OpenReach have confirmed this, but are refusing to rectify due to costs invloved. As far as they are concerned, I have a BB connection (regardless of the speed / quality).
      Was an Openreach engineer actually booked to look at this fault? If the fault is on the Openreach network, then it's completely their responsibility to fix. An Openreach SFI visit would likely find the fault.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Could it be that there are other things interfering with the signal?
      It is possible you have neighbours who are using a wireless network. If they are using the same channel as you, or even one near it, that can badly effect the wireless performance. Download Inssider from the link below and use it to discover the channels in use in your area. Set your channel to one as far from those in use as possible. Channel 13 is often a good bet if it is not in use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Was an Openreach engineer actually booked to look at this fault? If the fault is on the Openreach network, then it's completely their responsibility to fix. An Openreach SFI visit would likely find the fault.
      The fault was diagnosed by OpenReach last year. I probably had at least 10 engineer visits (including 3 SFI visits). They initially diagnosed as issue with cable leading from cabinet to the house, dug up and replaced. Problem persisted.
      The last SFI I had said that there was also a fault with the alluminium cable feeding into the cabinet from another cabinet. However, he said it would be unlikely that OpenReach would fix it due to cost. I have also spoken to Sky about this who then spoke to OpenReach, but they will not replace. As far as they are concerned, I am receiving a BB service, so they dont need to do anything.

The whole shananigans are documented in another thread on SkyUser.

Does anyone know if OpenReach are contractually obliged to fix the 2nd cable? Or any advice on how to persuade them to fix the fault?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast