Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow speed

This is a discussion on Slow speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well this is my first post and yesterday my sky broadband got activated yesterday downstream 1.6 meg upstream 0.50 meg ...

NeilB72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balgownie
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slow speed

Well this is my first post and yesterday my sky broadband got activated yesterday downstream 1.6 meg upstream 0.50 meg today the downstream is 1.3 meg i live 1.8 miles from the exchange..

Was getting 2.2 meg downstream and 0.37 upstream with bt why is this..
      Read alot of the posts on this thread regarding what you can do to improve in performance but come some off us have no clue where to start in that area..

Call me silly but if it costs the same money with someone on low speeds as it is with someone on high speeds why dont they start putting in new exchanges to people that live in bad connection areas.

were living in a world now with streaming HD on our computers online gaming etc and there is nothing wore than waiting 2 minutes for a video clip on youtube to buffer with a crap broadband connection why is the uk so far behind in high speed broadband in all uk homes but yet you can now get friggin 3D tv in your own home or is it just me.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: Very few people get the speed that's advertized

NeilB72
      Hi it looks like you might be on the connect package which is a Bt re-badged max product not Sky Broadband Unlimited. Unless Sky have moved into Balgownie exchange with their own equipment. To have a look at your exchange Balgownie SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow speed

Post your stats please. If you are on Sky LLU you will get a better speed than you did with BT but you may need to do some work on your wiring to get it.
      How to get your router statistics

and from the Test socket
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Doubt they will put up more exchanges. without charging example

If BT's fiber plan works think the whole UK is supposed to be getting fibre by 2015. will believe it when it happens

some places in the UK can get great speed
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      NeilB72
      Hi it looks like you might be on the connect package which is a Bt re-badged max product not Sky Broadband Unlimited. Unless Sky have moved into Balgownie exchange with their own equipment. To have a look at your exchange Balgownie SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Just had a look your right sky dont have LLU in my area only talk talk orange and aol i should of checked this out before i signed up guess im stuck with crap speed then...i should of asked sky if LLU was in my area at the time i took the dam broadband unlimited package so what not wait until sky put in there own equipment....

Thanks

Many have simply asked for their MAC and moved on, telling Sky their Connect service was not fit for purpose. Collect some speedtests from the official BT speedtester as proof. Don't put up with a pathetic service for any longer than you need to.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Many have simply asked for their MAC and moved on, telling Sky their Connect service was not fit for purpose. Collect some speedtests from the official BT speedtester as proof. Don't put up with a pathetic service for any longer than you need to.
      Thanks for all your help sky told me to wait the 10 days for my broadband to test speeds then call them back after that period...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeilB72 View Post
      Just had a look your right sky dont have LLU in my area only talk talk orange and aol i should of checked this out before i signed up guess im stuck with crap speed then...i should of asked sky if LLU was in my area at the time i took the dam broadband unlimited package so what not wait until sky put in there own equipment....
      You might have a case for getting out of the contract if you agreed to unlimited.

Connect has a higher price normally 17.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Thanks for all your help sky told me to wait the 10 days for my broadband to test speeds then call them back after that period...
      That is one of their fob offs, you are allowed 8 working days to change your mind, which will probably be up before the line finishes training.

Your speed will probably go back up to what you had with BT, no more, as you are really on the same package, just paying Sky instead of BT. You have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire I'm afraid, you will find the peak time throttling with Sky is worse than you had with BT.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Connect throttling is terrible

And even if you do call sky about it there is not much that can be done

would advise you call and try to get through to cancellations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast