Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why does my sync keep dropping?

This is a discussion on Why does my sync keep dropping? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I never used to have this problem with Sky LLU before. My downstream sync is usually in the 13000 range. ...

white43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dorchester
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Why does my sync keep dropping?

I never used to have this problem with Sky LLU before. My downstream sync is usually in the 13000 range. Certainly if I reconnect the router in the morning - it stays like this. However, recently by the evening, this sync has lowered to the 10000 range.

Is this DLM doing this? I thought once you were connected, you stay at that sync unless disconnected and reconnected.

This aside - does anyone actually get 1mb and above upspeed? I never do. Always about 0.90.

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why does my sync keep dropping?

If your sync is dropping the router has re-synced due to noise.

Not that many seem to get much over 1mb, even on good lines but there are some lucky ones but if you have the noise margin in hand to get it a call to Sky is the best way as DLM tedns to be a bit on the safe side for upstream.

Post your stats from the current location and the TEST socket.

How to get your router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

Post your stats from the current location and the TEST socket.
      (from current location)
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10336 kbps 1102 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5db 17.1db
      Noise Margin 11.4db 8.5db

Aha - I note that the downstream Noise Margin has gone up. It used to be about 7db.

Haven't got a master socket, it's the old 'star-wired' system I think it was called.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

One of your telephone sockets should have a yellow capacitor (about the size of a AAA battery) behind the faceplate. This will be the master socket.

It be worth performing another simple test or two to see if there is a fault developing.

a. using a corded telephone, dial '1' and listen to the phone. If there is any noise, then there is a problem. If the noise sound like a quite computer noise, then your Micro-Filter is failing, any other noise could indicate a line fault

b. replace your micro-filters with any spares you may have laying around. Micro-filters can and do fail after a period of time

For reference, a line fault could be inside your home or between your home and the telephone exchange. Your call provider is responsible for the line from the exchange to your master socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Duracell battery Scubbie

If you have a ring wire in the telephone socket it might be a good idea have a look at this link Removing Ring Wire

The reason Scubbie is suggesting you check everything before calling sky is because you might have to agree to a mandatory statement if the fault is logged to BT.

In the even that an engineer visit is required to repair a fault with your line and the engineer find that sky is not responsible for the fault you will have to pay the call out charge of 99.88 and an hourly charge of 64.63

If you cancel the engineer visit without at least one working days notice or are not at home when the engineer calls you will have to pay the call out charge of 99.88

Sky will contact you by phone to confirm if the fault has been fixed if charges are applicable we will request a one of credit or debit card payment at this time or the charges will be added to your next sky bill.

the short version of why your SNR is at 11.4 is that your line is not configured to the max sky can provide on the line.

Some manual configs also tend to be on the safe side.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Duracell battery Scubbie
      Sorry I forgot that Duracell are helping to fund your studies. This product placement really does pay off for some people.

Yes I am trying to assist the OP with locating the fault. If it is internal, then he has the financial liability to fix it. It might be something easy or he could engage the services of a local telecoms engineer.

If the fault is external, then a call to Sky will quickly result in the BT Openreach (BTO) Engineer receiving a request to do some work.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I doubt if there is a fault present now. It may just have been a BT engineer working close to the line who has disturbed it and caused DLM to drop the sync speed. If the fault were still present the noise margin would be much lower. As it is there is enough spare margin to raise the speed about 2 Mb. I would call Sky and ask them to adjust your download speed as a fault on your line has been fixed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The stats as of this morning, after a router reboot:

Connection Speed 13309 kbps 1112 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5db 16.1db
      Noise Margin 7.1db 8.6db

Will see what happens this evening and try the master socket.

EDIT : Note, this is a recurring problem with sync dropping in the evenings.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is down to more noise occurring on your line in the evening. This happens on all lines but usually the 7db noise margin is enough to cover it. You obviously have severe noise spikes which is causing your noise margin to drop low and resync your line. This could be caused by an external source or an internal one. If it is the latter, you have a chance of fixing it by fitting and using a NTE5 with a filtered faceplate. If it is the former, it is seldom anything can be done about it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Have you every noticed recently any night that the sync didn't drop in the evenings?

If so was there anything different such as central heating not on,TV switched of or neighbours were away out?
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast