Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie: Check my stats + long winded!

This is a discussion on Newbie: Check my stats + long winded! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys sky customer for a while and now sick of ringing to complain when the net is down. ringing ...

noregretz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01204
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Newbie: Check my stats + long winded!

Hey guys sky customer for a while and now sick of ringing to complain when the net is down. ringing at-least once every 2 months.
      Do these seem reasonable to you:

System Up Time: 4:16:13

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 29.5 db
      Noise Margin 20.2 db 22.0 db

The broadband package i have is Unlimited. The max speed i have been getting for 2years is borderline between 1 - 1.5mb (sucks i know). i had been told my area 2mb is pretty much max.

2 weeks ago the internet was not working and from ringing various customer service nobodies to a somebody, this person told me i was under DLM and that it does seem there is a fault somewhere. the next day BT said there was a fault at the local exchange and they changed some wires. I then started to receive speeds of around 4-6mb (speedtest so lets just say 4mb).

I leave my router on and then every morning get around 1.5mb, so i reset and get 2.5-3.
      yesterday my speed went down from around 3.5 (average) to 1-1.5 and hasn't changed, even though iv reset my router numerous times. i rang sky and they weren't no help, the guy said speedtest is not reliable and told me im at 2048 but he cant put it higher than what he did but max is 3.75. think he put his foot in it and admitting capping. each advisor has told me to connect direct to master socket but going from 4mb to 1.5mb cannot be true.

About my set up:
      master socket downstairs (with filter), secondary upstairs (with filter), router/pc connected to secondary line.

Bought a 15m ethernet cable today and took my router downstairs and fed the ethernet cable upstairs to my pc. (wow nothing happend)
      Didn't think but should i have got a 15m ADSL lead? and fed this from the master socket to the router upstairs to make things a little tidy?

Do i need to tell sky i have either one of these leads so they attempt to tell me it will make a difference and still cap me?

appreciate the help and the fact you just had to read another outburst,

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Newbie: Check my stats + long winded!

If those stats are in your master socket then you should be able to get about 3 times what you currently have, call Sky and have them uncap the line

Leave the router in the master and use the longer Ethernet cable
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If they tell you your speed cannot be improved, hang up and ring back, this time start off by telling them you have made significant improvements to your wiring and expect your speed to increase. Ask to be passed to CST if the script-readers will not listen to you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      If those stats are in your master socket then you should be able to get about 3 times what you currently have, call Sky and have them uncap the line

Leave the router in the master and use the longer Ethernet cable
      These stats are from the secondary socket i hadnt checked the stats from the master just a speedtest. I wouldnt mind the long ethernet but its just too untidy, hard to feed and hide.
      so if i left the router upstairs and and bought a 15m adsl would this be sufficient in increasing my speed? as long as i told sky it is connected directly to the master?

also just for general info why longer ethernet as apposed to adsl?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If they tell you your speed cannot be improved, hang up and ring back, this time start off by telling them you have made significant improvements to your wiring and expect your speed to increase. Ask to be passed to CST if the script-readers will not listen to you.
      Once i get the correct equipment i will.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The ADSL signal degrades the further you are from the telephone exchange. Most extension leads are made of poorer materials than standard telephone cables, so this is made worse.

Although ADSL cables can be made of better materials, you are still adding to the issues.

Once the BB connection has been made to your router, the router will then boost the signal on your local LAN.

Why not consider purchasing a pair of HomePlugs? These can transmit the LAN over your electrical wiring.

If you need the extra LAN ports, then it is possible to link a second (or third or more) router to the Sky Router. HomePlugs are also very useful in this instance.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The ADSL signal degrades the further you are from the telephone exchange. Most extension leads are made of poorer materials than standard telephone cables, so this is made worse.

Although ADSL cables can be made of better materials, you are still adding to the issues.

Once the BB connection has been made to your router, the router will then boost the signal on your local LAN.

Why not consider purchasing a pair of HomePlugs? These can transmit the LAN over your electrical wiring.

If you need the extra LAN ports, then it is possible to link a second (or third or more) router to the Sky Router. HomePlugs are also very useful in this instance.
      Homeplugs? i think i know what your referring to, i caught a glance of them i think whilst in maplin, but havent looked into them.

i actually have a spare router from sky.. if i needed to use it. i only have one pc in the house which i use which is upstairs.

if i can avoid having the 15m ethernet cable that would be helpful. understood it would be beneficial but such a hassle and eye sore .

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

There are a variety of different HomePlugs around. They can also vary in their speed, so try to ensure that you pick a pair that works at the same speed as your own LAN. The Sky Routers all have a LAN connection of 100Mb.

You may also benefit from using a pair with a pass-through for the electrical socket (i.e. you can plug your router's PSU into it as well).

In case two aren't sufficient, in many cases you can also add a 3rd or 4th HomePlug to an existing pair.

As you are looking to connect an old router as well, take a look at the document in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There are a variety of different HomePlugs around. They can also vary in their speed, so try to ensure that you pick a pair that works at the same speed as your own LAN. The Sky Routers all have a LAN connection of 100Mb.

You may also benefit from using a pair with a pass-through for the electrical socket (i.e. you can plug your router's PSU into it as well).

In case two aren't sufficient, in many cases you can also add a 3rd or 4th HomePlug to an existing pair.

As you are looking to connect an old router as well, take a look at the document in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together
      Did some research on the homeplugs last night, i think they will do the trick.

I wasnt looking at connecting an older router as well I just thought I may have needed it but from your response i dont think i do.

Thanks

Havent managed to get any homeplugs yet, went to return the ethernet cable i bought for some belkin homeplugs and they wouldnt let me return it (under maplins return policy original packet unused ect) which i understood as it was the manager who i was dealing with. No worries though rang the original store i got them from complained that i havent used it and bought as is. took it in and hey presto a guy said he couldnt understand why they refused the return in the first place.

Anyhow not adding insult to injury i decided i would get the homeplugs next week.

Ohh another serious situation, after complaining to sky about the net (indian call centre)... i received a phone call from a "company" working on behalf of sky/bt/virgin ect who could eradicate all the problems associated with my pc to make my net run faster..... after this and some scripts and "teamviwer.com" they supposedly would provide a full service and full antiv virus program for 9 years for the low low cost of 120.

Now after putting the phone down and disconnecting from the net... should i tell sky that my information has been passed on to bogus companies due to their own outsourcing/incompetence and expect a reasonable response?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast