Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Conection issue

This is a discussion on Conection issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, I came off the Dlm on the 19th feb. Was getting 3mb down and 900 up. I asked ...

reecicles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Conection issue

Hey guys, I came off the Dlm on the 19th feb. Was getting 3mb down and 900 up.

I asked to go on the gamer profile to lower my pings, which worked... But reduced my dl to 2mb and my up to 400 kb

After finding that reducing pings didn't help the lag gaming wise, I presume it will be better to be taken off the gamer profile and have the high upload and hope for host or have the high dl and hope that makes up for a higher ping.

ANYWAY... I ring sky and ask to be taken off the gamer profile and uncap my speed from 2mb.

He said it will take an hour and he will Ring me back.

After the router rebooted, the stats are these:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2944 kbps 256 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.5db 31.5db
      Noise Margin 7.8db 16.0db

I would like to get my upload back to 900kbps so I ask him and he said "oh no upload doesn't matter - infact the lower the number the better" what a crock of ****!

Any ideas guys?
      I know you can lower the download snr to increase the speed, but can you do it for the upload?

Sorry for the Long ass post,

Reece

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Conection issue

That's right. The lower the snr, the higher the speed.
      Skys target snr is 7. Keep on ringing back till you get through to someone sensible.

You might have to complain about slow speeds and have a ticket raised before you are put through to CST who uncap your line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey, thanks for the reply.

What I mean by
      I know you can lower the download snr to increase the speed, but can you do it for the upload?

Is that I know there is a program that I can change the download snr to better the speed. Is there one for the upload?

He also said "we don't cap any lines, the speed is always set to give you 20mb" this is clearly untrue because the cap is set to stabilize your connection.

Why do people sit there and lie or do they just nit know what they are talking about?
      Reece

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reecicles View Post
      Hey, thanks for the reply.

What I mean by

Is that I know there is a program that I can change the download snr to better the speed. Is there one for the upload?

He also said "we don't cap any lines, the speed is always set to give you 20mb" this is clearly untrue because the cap is set to stabilize your connection.

Why do people sit there and lie or do they just nit know what they are talking about?
      Reece
      Of course they cap your speed, it says so on the broadband section of My Sky. Once DLM has finished the line doesn't sync to the target SNR but the target speed and it's easily proven on my line.

At night the SNR drops from about 7dB to around 4dB due to the high frequency interference from the street lights because we have overhead phone lines. Now if I power cycle the router at night it always resyncs to around 11272kbps with a SNR of around 4dB.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just came off the phone from another person at sky support who doesn't know what they are talking about!

I told her my predicament, and she said "be right back, i dont have access to the system you need, i need to talk to my manager" she came back and told me she put me on the gamer profile which decreased my dl speed by 1meg, and increased my upload speed to 412 kbps.

i was like "i just asked to be taken off of that yesterday!"

So i thought i'd play it smart and said "ok ok, look. you can keep me on the gamer profile, but i see here that my snr is 14db for dl and 16db for upload, just keep me on the gamer profile, but use that little drop box of yours and give me the 7db snr"

"noise what?"

"noise margin"

"ok, i don't know what your talking about, brb ill check with the manager"

*on hold*

"hi, i've spoken with the manager and we don't controll the noise margin, it's bt who control it and if you want it to change, they will have to fit a new line in which will cost you 10,000's of pounds"

What is with these people?!? If the manager is saying this to the people he/she is managing, he/she is not qualified to be a Manager!

a perfect world would be me on the gamer profile with both my download and upload snr at 7db and not capped.

she was also adamant that i wasn't capped.

Does sky hire anyone who knows what they are talking about?

/rant over

Sorry, Reece

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The noise margin ISN'T capped, that will always stay at 7db. What changes is they change the speed in a little box to set it low which then obviously leads to a high noise margin
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

It sounds like you are only getting to 'tier 1'. They have their hands tied at present and won't be able to do what you are asking.

Play nice and run quickly through what they ask, then ask to be put through to CST. They will be able to do what you need.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Assuming you're on the Sky Voice and Broadband Network (SVBN), you've been capped to the 3072/256 profile. Ask them to fire you onto the 4608/864 profile (also has 8ms delays, so you'll get a 'gamer profile' essentially).

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

You could try asking tier 1 some of them have access to the required system.

But as mentioned before we do have our hands tied a bit so you may have to play nice and answer some stupid questions
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms