Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please help - no internet connection, modem flashing yellow/solid yellow/not

This is a discussion on Please help - no internet connection, modem flashing yellow/solid yellow/not within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, apologies for this thread as I am new to these forums. My problem started yesterday (4th March) when I ...

Evansx08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please help - no internet connection, modem flashing yellow/solid yellow/not

Hello, apologies for this thread as I am new to these forums.

My problem started yesterday (4th March) when I got home. I noticed there was a BT Onstream van in the street and the guy was doing some work. I went inside and turned on the computer. In the bottom right corner of my screen, the little icon with the 2 computer screens that usually has the globe on it instead had a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on it. I restarted the computer and still the problem persisted. I picked up the phone line and there was a shrieking interference. I went outside to the BT guy and asked him whether this was anything to do with his work. He checked my line and said that it wasn't a problem with the outside line and that he didn't know what the noise was. Eventually this noise went away but I still can't connect to the internet.

I reset my modem and instead of the flickering '@' sign light turning from flickering amber to green (to show connection) it does one of 4 things. It either continues to flash amber, flashes for a period and then goes out, flashes and then turns solid amber, or doesnt flash at all and remains out.

I rang up Sky and went through the lengthy troubleshooting and did all the tests including connecting to the main socket and taking the faceplate off, etc. Nothings working now.

Sky said theyre sending a new modem but I'm unsure if that's the issue. Anyone here know what the issue could be? Cheers

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Please help - no internet connection, modem flashing yellow/solid yellow/not

The router is a possibility but it could also be the PSU.

Guessing the reason they sent out a new router was to rule out the issue being caused by the attenuator in the router, so you didn't have to call back if a new PSU didn't solve it.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers For This Useful Post:

Evansx08 (05-03-11)

Thanks

Re: Please help - no internet connection, modem flashing yellow/solid yellow/not

I'm not sure it could be the PSU because all the other lights are on. The first light (power light) behaves normally, the second light behaves normally and isn't on, and the third light is on (the wireless one). Its just the internet '@' light that isn't being normal and doing what I mentioned above. I was on the internet briefly the morning it went down, and I just got home to all these issues.

I tried an old plain Netgear router. That one's internet light flashes and then eventually turns green as it used to do back in the day when I used to use Talk Talk with that router, however I don't suspect the sky service works with anything other than an official sky router.

The phone lines fine now, but still no way of getting internet.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If the old netgear router can get on-line, extract the username & password from your failed router & setup the netgear router with the username & password.

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Evansx08 (05-03-11)

Thanks

Thanks, but I'm only going to resort to that if the new router that's in the post fails to solve the issue.

Its weird how not a lot of people on here seem to have had exactly the same issues as me. One minute it was fine, the next minute it wasnt. Im not entirely convinced that Onstream guy was totally blameless. Its a mighty weird coincidence that in the last 2 years of Sky I havent had an issue but on the day a BT man has the wires out, my internet dies and my phone has a spasm...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The idea of suggesting that you try your old Netgear router is two-fold:

1. Gets you on-line
      2. Proved whether the Sky router or PSU has gone faulty

Of course if you want to wait, then fine.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I'm fine with waiting a few days for the router to come, i'm just concerned that it's not actually the issue and then I'm going to be stuck for solutions. I'm in the middle of my 6th form studies and internet access is vital to me for the coursework (connecting to the school system).

I'm going to ring BT 150 service later and get them to run a line check. Sky ran line checks and said that the line was fine so I really don't understand.

Could a faulty router have contributed to the noise I heard through the phone? When I disconnected the router the noise went but I have since reconnected the router numerous times and the noise has never returned. But the ADSL '@' light on the router doesnt go green for indicate a connection. This is why I am so confused!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Did you manage to get sorted when you called sky?

Has your new router arrived yet? if so did it solve the issue?
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Apologies for the long reply, I'm getting internet off a friend so I can't be online all the time.

I haven't called sky again yet. The BT Onstream bloke who was there the day the internet went off said he'd come back today to complete the work he was doing. I was kind of banking on maybe the issue mending itself because of his visit but nothing happened and its still the same. Sometimes the internet ADSL light is solid amber, sometimes after I reset it again in a vain hope of solving the issuem it doesnt flash at all.

Only ordered the router on friday when the issue first came about so I'm guessing the new router won't have been dispatched until today (monday). Hoping to have it by thursday at the very latest. Can't really do without it for much longer than that.

Thinking about changing to another provider if the new router doesn't sort the issue out.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Let us know how you get on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast