Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

New Sky installed just now

This is a discussion on New Sky installed just now within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; just cause the outside line is fantastic doesn't mean that the internal wiring is. the positive being that if setup ...

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: New Sky installed just now

just cause the outside line is fantastic doesn't mean that the internal wiring is.

the positive being that if setup becomes bang on then 20meg plus is all but guaranteed

if you do have to correct internal wiring and request a gamer profile which i think DLM sets it to automatically you might be better of asking for another 10 day stabilization period so that DLM will put it higher than the 20 that would be manually set

might get lucky and DLM may set it to 24 the max of ADSL2+
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

siege2
      Hi if you want to post your stats just follow link How to get your router statistics DLM usually starts after 3 day will run for approx 10 days. But can be done in about 5 days. A good way to check to see if DLM has finished running go to your my sky log in and click on the More on my Broadband. If it say`s We are currently unable to display your broadband connection details. DLM is still running.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      just cause the outside line is fantastic doesn't mean that the internal wiring is.

the positive being that if setup becomes bang on then 20meg plus is all but guaranteed

if you do have to correct internal wiring and request a gamer profile which i think DLM sets it to automatically you might be better of asking for another 10 day stabilization period so that DLM will put it higher than the 20 that would be manually set

might get lucky and DLM may set it to 24 the max of ADSL2+
      The highest Sky profile is 20Mbps, there were some on older profiles that sync at 22Mbps but none will set to 24Mbps
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

siege2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: FenceHouses
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sebby View Post
      I just would have thought you'd have more margin on a line that good. What sort of setup do you have in terms of telephone wiring?
      The outside wiring was moved from were used to go into kitchen around door frames into living room then go upstairs via an extension to pc room. Now the wiring goes into room above kitchen via underneath floorboards then up out off floor boards flush with skirting boards to socket bought from solwise think "check soon" it has the the router/modem and telephone socket.
      Kenneth

Thanks

My stats have roughly stayed the same as per original post , attention has stayed exactly the same the snr has changed slightly. Iam on day 2 around 1 30 pm will end started on the 3rd Sunday will be my day three . Ps iam making a text file for the stats daily .

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sebby View Post
      I just would have thought you'd have more margin on a line that good. What sort of setup do you have in terms of telephone wiring?
      I wouldn't.

7dB is the minimum Noise Margin that sky uses. Whilst it can drop a little, generally you ain't going to have it set to anything less.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

here is the picture off the actual stats from router, not switched off at all since switched on around 1:30 pm on the 3rd.
      also have Noticed whilst connected from my USB edimax dongle it does so at wireless N !
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Sky installed just now-stats.jpg   New Sky installed just now-wireless-n-status-bar.jpg   New Sky installed just now-edimax.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Noticed whilst connected from my USB edimax dongle it does so at wireless N !
      What speed is it actually connecting to the router at?

Your WAN has been up for nearly 2 days. so I would think DLM will kick in tonight.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by siege2 View Post
      here is the picture off the actual stats from router, not switched off at all since switched on around 1:30 pm on the 3rd.
      also have Noticed whilst connected from my USB edimax dongle it does so at wireless N !
      The WiFi adapter in your PC is a WiFi n adapter. The latest router from Sky that has been supplied to a couple of fellow members is the SagemCOM Pack F@ST 2304n. Sadly this router is not fully WiFi n. It only works up to 75Mb, half the minimum speed required.

There is a newer router that has been certified for Sky as being WiFi n (the 2304n hasn't). This is the SagemCOM Pack F@ST 2504N. No one has yet described this on this forum so we don't yet know it's full specs.

Take a look on the coloured label on the underside of your router, it will tell your which one you have.

I would also look at repositioning the router as your WiFi signal isn't that strong compared with your neighbours. This could be that theirs is actually a full WiFi n router though.

It might pay you to install InSSIDer. This program can help you in a number of areas, such as signal strength.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy i have seen people come through before that are getting the full 23 -24Mb

I will admit that it is very uncommon and have maybe only seen it twice.

only problem is since i dont have LAMA depends who i get to look at the line as some people that have it will reduce the line 20Mb
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast