Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Results 61 to 70 of 88

    Heads up

    This is a discussion on Heads up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yeah, but they could also be using it to log in to the router remotely and actually *do* stuff on ...

    1. #61
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,131
      Thanks
      64
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Yeah, but they could also be using it to log in to the router remotely and actually *do* stuff on it
      Wouldn't they need Remote Management turned on to get access to the router? Anyone who is the least bit security concious will have this disabled.

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.






    2. Advertisement
    3. #62
      Birks's Avatar
      Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      31
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Wouldn't they need Remote Management turned on to get access to the router? Anyone who is the least bit security concious will have this disabled.
      Dunno much about Sky routers tbh, or how they're set up by default, never had one, but there are plenty of ways they could set it up to be able to manage it remotely. If you're talking about remote management via the web interface thing then yeah you probably don't want that left on, but having something like SSH with public/private key login on a router isn't really a big deal security wise. I mean that's just one example of how, I don't even know if the routers Sky ship would have enough resources to run an SSH server in the background like that, but it's at least feasible. That's why we need a CST agent to spill the beans.

      Anyway, even if you say 'oh I turned that off for security', they're just going to ask you to enable it so they can use it.

    4. #63
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,131
      Thanks
      64
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Anyway, even if you say 'oh I turned that off for security', they're just going to ask you to enable it so they can use it.
      That's fine if you are actually talking to Support and you don't know enough to do what is required, but there is no way they should have access without your knowledge. I also doubt if the Sky routers could run Secure Shell or that the average Sky support personnel would have the knowledge to use it, even if it did.

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.





    5. #64
      Birks's Avatar
      Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      31
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Yeah, you're probably right about a bog standard home router not having the ability to perform it's primary job and run an SSH server in the background, but I'd just be worried that they have some kind of remote admin ability.

      Also, I think 90% of the agents don't have much of a clue about what they're doing on a technical level, just that someone has set up a nice clicky button GUI for them to do it with. Even if they're using PuTTY it's probably all been pre-configured for them and simplified. You can set it up to automatically drop you into a remote shell, so from there it would just be a case of typing in what's in front of them on the script.

    6. #65
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      As far as my previous post, I'm a support agent, and last night alone I was alerted to 4 calls from colleagues who were being refused escalation from CST. Not only does it make things twice as difficult for us but frustrates the customer as they have generally been on the phone for some time already.
      What was the issue or why did the advisors refuse the calls?

    7. #66
      Sanity's Avatar
      Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      173
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      What was the issue or why did the advisors refuse the calls?
      Largely they are pushed back for us to replace routers, usually unecessarily, and contrary to what we are being advised. CST have a larger quota of available routers, ours are all added to stats when we replace.

      One in particular was for an open TTM, the CST advisor insisted the tier 1 agent go back and run a line test, even though this had all been done and the case was already escalated.

      You will find due to Sky Answers the transfers will double, and soon we will be back to 72 hour callbacks. This is because Sky Answers largely ends every troubleshooting call flow guide with "escalate".

      Personally I could resolve a number of the issues without escalating. However, if I don't use Sky Answers and escalate as advised, my qa's will be zero and bye bye goes my performance bonus.

      The main issue with transferring calls seems to be that we have to keep the customer on hold while CST "check" things out. Why can't this be done with the customer on the line with CST instead of tier 1 being stuck in the middle on hold? Our stats are through the roof because of this and I'm afraid its not because tier 1 are not doing the job correctly. Its because CST aren't.

    8. #67
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers's Avatar
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      965
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      N routers will be rolled out soon according to a brief we have recently recieved, although an actual date hasn't been finalised as yet, but it will be some improvement.

      I have consulted 2 of my managers after reading about this apparent plan to stop people using their own routers and nobody has heard a thing about it.

      Think about it. Why would they risk losing thousands of customers? As long as you connect your Sky router to call in and troubleshoot your connection if you have a problem they are fine with it.

      As far as my previous post, I'm a support agent, and last night alone I was alerted to 4 calls from colleagues who were being refused escalation from CST. Not only does it make things twice as difficult for us but frustrates the customer as they have generally been on the phone for some time already.

      Anyone from CST please be advised details of said calls are all currently being passed to management for investigation, so if they are being refused it should be for good reason.

      And by the way, currently plans are in the pipeline to get read only access for IRIS to all agents. Although waiting for logins from Sky for applications is a bit like waiting for Brad Pitt to turn up in my bedroom....
      Agree about trying to get logins hopefully the decide to give everyone at least read only LAMA as well. Read and write would be much better but don't see it happening
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

      Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

    9. #68
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      Largely they are pushed back for us to replace routers, usually unecessarily, and contrary to what we are being advised. CST have a larger quota of available routers, ours are all added to stats when we replace.

      One in particular was for an open TTM, the CST advisor insisted the tier 1 agent go back and run a line test, even though this had all been done and the case was already escalated.

      You will find due to Sky Answers the transfers will double, and soon we will be back to 72 hour callbacks. This is because Sky Answers largely ends every troubleshooting call flow guide with "escalate".

      Personally I could resolve a number of the issues without escalating. However, if I don't use Sky Answers and escalate as advised, my qa's will be zero and bye bye goes my performance bonus.

      The main issue with transferring calls seems to be that we have to keep the customer on hold while CST "check" things out. Why can't this be done with the customer on the line with CST instead of tier 1 being stuck in the middle on hold? Our stats are through the roof because of this and I'm afraid its not because tier 1 are not doing the job correctly. Its because CST aren't.
      The next CST advisor who does that, get his/her manager on the phone, as putting you on hold and refusing calls isn't allowed whatsoever. There are quite a few new CST advisors, particularly the new site in Stockport, so whether this has anything to do with 'new' advisors not knowing what to do, who knows.

      The only time CST should be putting people on hold is to consult a CEL to authorise LL14s, but, even so, this should be done with the customer.

    10. #69
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers's Avatar
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      965
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      Largely they are pushed back for us to replace routers, usually unecessarily, and contrary to what we are being advised. CST have a larger quota of available routers, ours are all added to stats when we replace.

      One in particular was for an open TTM, the CST advisor insisted the tier 1 agent go back and run a line test, even though this had all been done and the case was already escalated.

      You will find due to Sky Answers the transfers will double, and soon we will be back to 72 hour callbacks. This is because Sky Answers largely ends every troubleshooting call flow guide with "escalate".

      Personally I could resolve a number of the issues without escalating. However, if I don't use Sky Answers and escalate as advised, my qa's will be zero and bye bye goes my performance bonus.

      The main issue with transferring calls seems to be that we have to keep the customer on hold while CST "check" things out. Why can't this be done with the customer on the line with CST instead of tier 1 being stuck in the middle on hold? Our stats are through the roof because of this and I'm afraid its not because tier 1 are not doing the job correctly. Its because CST aren't.
      I totally agree about Sky Answers increasing the amount of escalations hence the name.

      It is a pain having to spend ages on a call reading it when you know that it doesn't have the answer.

      Had a call not long ago that had to go to CST call was 35mins. new from the beginning that the issue was the router. could have been solved in 2mins.

      72hr callback will be back within a few days and the backlog will then become huge and 72hr callback will not be met. tier 1 are going to be inundated with furious customers who haven't got a call back within 72hrs
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

      Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

    11. #70
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers's Avatar
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      965
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Heads up

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      The next CST advisor who does that, get his/her manager on the phone, as putting you on hold and refusing calls isn't allowed whatsoever. There are quite a few new CST advisors, particularly the new site in Stockport, so whether this has anything to do with 'new' advisors not knowing what to do, who knows.

      The only time CST should be putting people on hold is to consult a CEL to authorise LL14s, but, even so, this should be done with the customer.
      Most of the time i get through to CST i get put on hold.

      They haven't refused any calls on me. not saying im better than anyone.

      Just get lucky and get people in CST who have a clue
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

      Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

     

     
    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION