Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Heads up

This is a discussion on Heads up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Lama just shows the PPP session username (xxxx@skydsl), so you couldn't tell from that alone. On the other hand, PuTTY, ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Heads up

Lama just shows the PPP session username (xxxx@skydsl), so you couldn't tell from that alone. On the other hand, PuTTY, which only a handful of advisors probably have access to now, fires up a lot more details such as vendor ID of the router being used. IWNTE would be able to tell you more about that, as I've never used PuTTY.

2. Advertisement
      Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Not CST, but

PuTTY is just a tool to remotely connect to stuff (simplified, but you get the point). When you connect to another device, that can be a web server, router, whatever, it'll usually spit out some information about what it is unless it's been locked down. Hopefully the Sky routers aren't just broadcasting that info to anyone and everyone and CST have some secure access policy set up, but who knows. Guess someone with a Sky router could test it since PuTTY is free and pretty easy to use.

Anyway, this is all spoofable up to a point, it all depends whether the CST agent is actually going to login or interact with the router, or just sneak a peak at the welcome banner to get the brand and model. The latter is easy, the former you might get away with depending on how similar the behaviour of the Sky firmware is to the OEMs and how much effort you think its worth to use another router.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Heard they took it away from most after someone crashed an exchange with it. Apparently now there is only one team that have it and only on-net escalations can transfer to them
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birks View Post
      AFAIK, tier 1 don't in general have access to LAMA (the line config tool), just a couple of designated agents that they can go to for that stuff. Last I heard they were planning to take that away again though and only let CST use it.
      I don't know where you are getting your information from, but last we heard MORE tier one agents are to have LAMA access. I am one of those fortunate script readers who have access ro LAMA, coupled with more than one brain cell and the ability to actually be able to spell Sky ANSWERS.

I'm rather bored with hearing how bloody fabulous CST are, when half the time we struggle to get them to take a call we are unable to resolve without putting us on hold for 10 minutes whilst they go and "consult" someone else.

Sorry to say, but there will always be incompetent halfwits in any department of any company. Just because CST get about 50p an hour more than me and access to a couple of extra systems doesn't make them some kind of technical gods.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanity For This Useful Post:

nonono (07-03-11)

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      apparently sky are bringing in a new system for checking if people are using their own routers and are going to terminate people

there has been at least one termination that i have heard of

don't shoot the messenger
      Well done there on apparently being the only Sky Tech employee to have obtained this breaking news.

Is it April 1st yet?

nonono is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      I don't know where you are getting your information from, but last we heard MORE tier one agents are to have LAMA access. I am one of those fortunate script readers who have access ro LAMA, coupled with more than one brain cell and the ability to actually be able to spell Sky ANSWERS.

I'm rather bored with hearing how bloody fabulous CST are, when half the time we struggle to get them to take a call we are unable to resolve without putting us on hold for 10 minutes whilst they go and "consult" someone else.

Sorry to say, but there will always be incompetent halfwits in any department of any company. Just because CST get about 50p an hour more than me and access to a couple of extra systems doesn't make them some kind of technical gods.

well said, think we could be twins

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post

You work in one call centre just because more people in your location are getting LAMA access doesn't mean that it is happening everywhere

Depends who you get through to in CST some are better than others. I have never had an issue with getting them to take a call

It was late at night and i was using an ipad.

At no point did i say that CST were technical gods. Some people on here have much more knowledge than most people in CST

It is not my problem if you have an inferiority complex.

Its not april 1st was just posting what i was told. Hope it doesn't happen but thought that i would warn people just in case.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Hmm... there's always one problem with Gods...

there's always a Jack O'Neil or Teal'c to shoot them down.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Best show ever still love stargate.

Usually jack being sarcastic and teal'c killing them apophis anyone

Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What's with all the tier one agents getting defensive? If you're one that knows what they're doing then good for you, but most of them are awful I'm afraid. I also don't remember saying anything positive about CST but there you go.

And as for LAMA being taken away I heard the same as I Hate Sky Answers, basically that some agents were royally duffing things up and spoiling it for everyone else.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast