Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Heads up

This is a discussion on Heads up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apparently they spent a couple of million on it can't really see were that was spent I could have designed ...

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Heads up

Apparently they spent a couple of million on it can't really see were that was spent I could have designed half of it with a weeks paid holiday never mind the 2.5 million I think it's meant to have cost. I agree with your point about wireless and sync but they should also try to use the knowledge that SOME tier 1's posses
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. Advertisement
      Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Anyway, on a personal level, I'd say it's not worth caring about how Sky treat their customers or operate internally. Especially not as a tier 1 agent. My advice is to use your apparent technical knowledge to get a better job where you'll actually be valued, why let it go to waste getting the same wage as a bunch of idiots reading it from a script without grasping anything. Not worth it dude.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers
      Apparently they spent a couple of million on it can't really see were that was spent I could have designed half of it with a weeks paid holiday never mind the 2.5 million I think it's meant to have cost
      Well yeah that's pretty laughable, especially considering how poorly finished it is. It's just a basic web app. It's not like it had to be cross platform or anything, it's only running on their systems, in one type of browser, and they still launched it with a ton of layout issues and bugs.

Maybe I should go back to being a developer if there are companies stupid enough to pay me a cool 2.5 million for nothing.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Simple reason for being there is easy money while being at uni not like it.requires any brain activity on my part. Reckon it if I did sky answers as a project in uni it would be an instant fail for no thought put in
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks for dropping in and sharing this info with us.

I have been very critical of tier 1 in the past or being 'not useful' shall we say.
      But having dealt with them about 18mths ago after initiailly joining, they were terrible...... They couldn't do anything for my line, only refer to CST to set up my line.

About 6 or 7 mths ago I had to deal with them again (due to resigning up for another yr and DLM kicking again) they actually had improved this time and tier 1 were actually able to suspend DLM, Configure my line & reduce max delays..... all by themselves.

Now you are saying this is all gone and we are back to square one again !!!!

Ah well

Exchange:
      Thanks

AFAIK, tier 1 don't in general have access to LAMA (the line config tool), just a couple of designated agents that they can go to for that stuff. Last I heard they were planning to take that away again though and only let CST use it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

There is some positive aspect from having a specific system of fault finding. It means that certain common faults are ruled in or ruled out before the call is transferred on.

I have certain diagnostics skill that I've developed from working in different environments. Some are applicable in a face-to-face situation, others work over long distance.

I've not been trained on Sky systems and I will occasionally miss some issues. On the other hand, I may pick up on somethings that others might miss.

Taking this forum into account, I'm not being paid to fault find anyone's issues, so it doesn't matter to me if the problem goes on for a few minutes or weeks. I have no call queue to worry about. I have not target of 100 calls a day (or what ever you may have). I can also pick & choose whether to answer a query or not.

Whether it is Sky's call centre, or any other forims' call centre, you're being paid to field questions arising from problems that customers have. The more you can resolve, the better everyone feels.

If customer A calls in and goes through steps 1-8, then has a problem, when they call back and get another agent, that 2nd agent will sound a little better IMHO if they are checking the same things, but are quickly able to progress through steps 1-8 because those steps have already been checked. When they get to step 9 then customer A will be on fresh territory.

Now once everyone has debugged 'Sky Answers' I had heard that Rupert Murdoch was planning to introduced a new speech recognition system that will deal with customers, instead of going to tier 1.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

A solid script is all well and good, but nothing's black and white. A script can prompt you to ask silly, closed questions (such as 'is the router in the master socket', 'do you have a test socket' etc. which most customers will just say 'yes' because they don't know what either means) but unless you're questioning a customer with effective, open-ended questions, then the advisor is going to miss out on basic set-up issues. Sky would be better hiring/training advisors of a higher standard, so they know what they're doing in the first place.

It's all too common for a call to be escalated/transferred through for an unresolved issue and not only are the notes poor on the ticket itself, but the advisor will tell you 'yup, the router's in the test socket, everything's been done'. It's only when you take over the call and further question the customer that you find the router's still in an extension socket upstairs.

A script won't help - hiring people with some common sense will.

Edit: This 'rant' is based around those advisors (both t1 & CST) who don't know what they're doing or couldn't care less and is in no way directed at those who go above and beyond for customers in regards to securing a solution.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

With all respect, I agree with what you are saying.

The skill comes in to the interpretation of the answers.

With my diving, I didn't just listen to the answer people provide, but also how they answered.

Simple example:

Student has a headache after a dive.

Is this caused by the dive profile?

Have they mentioned anything about the tank tasting funny?

When did they last drink?

Decompression Illness (DCI - aka 'The Bends') can be caused by any of the above.

What about the heat; Temperature change; Any other symptoms? Temperature of the water & what they were diving in?

Ultimately it could be nothing more than a run-of-the-mill headache.
      I know what it can be like in a call centre. I don't know how it is for tier 1, but the centres I am aware of have targets. If a person constantly under achieves, then any pay review can be affected.

This is the fault of the system.

Just asking someone to read through any script isn't going to properly diagnose a fault on it's own. Often listening to what is said is as important as what is not said in responses. This is a skill and isn't always picked up in training.

So if I were to ask someone on the phone 'Is your router plugged into the test socket', I might also ask them to describe the test socket to me if the way they answer leaves me to doubt their response.

For me that wouldn't be going off the script, that would be verifying the answer provided.

However if I need to increase my number of calls, I might be tempted to press ahead with the other questions quickly and then pass the call on to CST, just to shift it off my phone & get another call credited.

In this forum we are left to cross the t's & dot the i's by posting links to various pages with pictures and descriptions on how to access the test socket (for example), yet there are some who can't do this easily.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

thankfully we dont have any targets

most tier 1s that have lama are people that were in CST before

problem bsing that since sky answers has been introduced we have basically been told we cant go above and beyond regardless is we are able to get a resolution or not

we are also unable to tell ppl netsh commands regardless if we know them or not which is a pain if someone has a corrupted TCP/IP stack

guessin we also aint meant to use alt DNS servers even though i think i have told every1 that i have ever talked to to use googles DNS servers or the old UK onlines 1's

only problem is that people recieve LAMA and IRIS logins based on length of tenure rather than giving a test to see if people actually understand what they are changing.

i do agree that some tier 1s aint got a clue have been asked by some1 before how some1 broke all the extensions in someones house cause they didnt have a clue what the point of a test socket was lol

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast